Regretted purchases, and why?

Aries_Split

May 12, 2008
Decoy Doctorpus post=9.70229.687641 said:
khululy post=9.70229.685237 said:
Tell me how is DMC 4 better on the 360? And why compare LoZ: TP with okami? it's like comparing Castlevania with Vampire the masquerade.

I regret the purchase of EWJ2 for GBA I loved the PC version but they totally ruined it with a version that has more bugs then insecticide. by the great worm spirit who's essence is that of all things slippery. why?
In order.

A: No half hour install.
B: 1080 as opposed to 720
C: The ps3's R2 button is the stuff of nightmares.

Okami borrowed wholesale from Legend of Zelda, look at any review and they'll tell you the games play out in a very similar way, the only difference being Okami has better graphics (Despite a weaker system) and at least one innovative idea.
A:Faster loading.
B:lolwut?
C:Matter of opinion.

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Retoru post=9.70229.687773 said:
Even though I'll probably get flamed to death *dons his flame-shield for dramatic effect* I gotta go with every GTA game from 3 onward. I got GTA III when it first came out because I heard about how great it was from friends, etc. I played it for a week or so and it never really engaged me.

I did like that they had Michael Rappaport doing a voice for one of the characters though, he's an under-appreciated actor, but aside from that I found the game boring, repetitive, and simply gratuitous violence for the sake of violence.

So, a couple years go by and I decide to give the franchise another try, so I bought a copy of Vice City. Sure, it was nice to hear all the 80s toons in the game, but again it was more of the same. Gratuitous violence for its own sake, boring gameplay, and nearly broken controls if you had to shoot someone.

So, what did I do a couple years later? You guessed it, I picked up San Andreas at a pawn shop for 5 bucks and hated that game as well. I started occupying myself by making CJ as fat as I possibly could and giving him the biggest 'fro I could get rather than playing the missions since it was more fun, but even that failed to keep my attention long.

This time around I finally wised up, I did not(and will not) purchase GTA IV. The series is utter garbage and I am finally done with it.

On a side-note, two other games I got that I found to be gratuitous violence for the sake of violence games that I couldn't stand were Manhunt and The Suffering. Who knows, maybe I'm just too old school, maybe I expect my games to be more lighthearted and fun instead of M rated crapfests filled with gore, violence, and vulgar language for no other reason than just to sell the game.

These days I take great care before I lay down my money on an M rated game, I do research and try my best to make sure the game isn't just another game cashing in on being "edgy" simply to sell more units to teenage boys whose parents don't take the time to properly filter the media they digest.
It's kind of presumptous to assume we're going to flame you for not liking GTA. Look around and you'll find the general attitude towards the series on these boards has been 'meh' with the exception of 4 which has generated some debate.

As for wanting your games to be lighthearted? Your decision but it limits the medium as a whole. It'd be like arguing that the movie industry should only make children's films, sure I don't want every film to be Hostel, but products geared towards adults would be nice.

As for Manhunt. I personally think the game handled the violence exceptionally well. It was there to help make the games premise even more disturbing and it worked very well indeed. It's just a shame that the fact a game that dares take players out of their comfort zones has been branded as damaging by the mass media and stupid by most gamers. Look closer and you'll see there's something there.

Manhunt 2, though, was terrible.

Edit: @Aries

1: Not faster loading. On par loading. The access speeds for Blu ray are so shitty games need an install to match the 360's load times. Not good.

2: Seriously. Look at the back of the box. Max res. 720. Now look at the back of the 360 versions box.

3: Yep. Opinion.

Vortigar

Nov 8, 2007
I don't have many regrets, I almost always get stuff from the bargain bin and I work full-time so I can take a hit of a few tenners here and there.

But even then, even for 2?, even for completeness sake, even for fanboy's sake, 40K Fire Warrior is crap and a waste of money.

aside:
I'm not getting DoW:Soulstorm unless it gets fixed, that's for sure.

videot76

Aug 20, 2008
1. Assassins Creed. Good thing I could return it after the one day it took to complete it.
(What really took the cake on that one, except for sucking on every level except - possibly - graphics, was that the game director said that collecting all flags or whatever DOES ABSOLUTELY NOTHING (on the PS3 at least), and that it was a CONSCIOUS STATEMENT about collectables in games. I had never heard someone have such a condescending view of his customers, at least until number two on my list.)

2. Age of Conan. Where to begin? Content touted at launch still not present after 3 months, client stability issues, PvP DOA (no joke, and it hasn't risen either), worthless updates, broken quests, random nerfs, serious lack of end-game content, atrocious customer service and lies, lies, lies and more lies to the player community. It was fun for a while, but then you get fed up, and you can't give it another chance because everyone else has also become fed up and left the game. (I dare anyone to put together a full (non-guild) level 80 group. It is next to impossible.)
Want the straight dope? Check the discussion at mmorpg.com. The haters are right, and I should know - I was once a fanboy myself and even paid for a second month. Fool me twice...

Master Kuja

May 28, 2008
I don't really regret any of my purchases, you see, for me, regret isn't a strong enough word for one or two of them, loathe is more appropriate.

1: Shadow Hearts: From The New World.
I didn't HATE this game, I disliked it, to me, it wasn't Shadow Hearts, it didn't have Yuri, therefore I didn't enjoy it, because honestly, Yuri made the game for me.

2: Turok Evolution.
Need I really explain this one?

3: True Crime: New York City.
See above...

Aside from those? I don't really regret any of my purchases, I've generally had a favourable good few gaming years.

T3chn0s1s

Aug 17, 2008
Bioshock. Friggin' copy protection keeps those of us who really buy games from playing them. Luckily I managed to "obtain" a copy elsewhere sans security measures, so I could play the game I just bought.

Daiquere

Jul 30, 2008
Lost odyssey. I bought this game the day it came out and stopped playing it two days later. It was boring and had some story elements that made the game a nightmare too play at times. An example is when you go into a dungeon, beat the boss, and return only too fight another boss in town then getting kicked out of the town and go to another dungeon without being able too stop for items or even sleep at an in.

Not terrible, just really annoying and I couldn't bring myself too play it anymore.

Fineldar

Jun 8, 2008
Perfect Dark: Zero, or whatever the second one was that was a launch title for the 360. Before I bought my 360, I heard people saying it sucked, but I didn't listen to them because the first one for N64 is the best FPS ever, and can only be made better with the addition of an extra joystick. It turned out not to be betterified version of the old one. It was like the old one with half the good taken out and stuffed fill of crap and egg white.

ultamentdark

Aug 7, 2008
rainbow 6 vegas for pc
dark messiah for pc

why ?

becuase when i got home i realized that i couldent even play them on my crapy computer and the dumass at best buy seid i could

dukethepcdr

May 9, 2008
There have been many games I have bought that I have regretted buying. Many of these are now back on the shelves of game stores thanks to the trade-in policies of these places. Some have also been shipped to my customers on Ebay and Swaptree. A few still languish on shelves in my apartment. On rare occasions, when I feel like I need a break from actually good games, I break them back out, install or load them play them for a bit, cuss at them for being so crappy, uninstall them again and put them back on the shelf. I don't know what kind of mental illness that is, but I bet it has a name I can't pronounce nor spell.

A few of these games that come to mind are: Enter the Matrix (a close rival with E.T. for worst game ever. Game reviewers who recommended it should have their fingers broken), Star Wars Force Commander (a great idea destroyed by bad A.I. and clumsy camera control), War of the Ring (a game that starts out great until the enemy gets to the invisible units that I can't seem to kill with anything my guys have available to them. This "feature" ruins the enjoyment of the game for me. It's like the A.I. loads a cheat code or something.), Two Worlds (another overrated game that should have been better than Oblivion but was so poorly made that it is greatly inferior to it.)

Unholykrumpet

Nov 1, 2007
So many.

Cabela's Dangerous Hunts
Splinter Cell (1st one, bugged copy of the game)
Unreal Tournament 3 (awesome for pc, 360 has lag and only thing people want to do is duel
BOMBERMAN FOR 360*. (Bought it in a bargain bin for 10$. I realized I wouldn't do it again if it only cost 50 cents. Worst game ever /end rant)

Crackdown (not for the beta, surprisingly. Thought it had potential)
Assassin's Creed (potential win...epic fail surprisingly)
Enchanted Arms (complete garbage)
Shadowrun (though I still occasionally play it)
Full metal Alchemist for DS (epic fail)
Children of Mana for DS (terrible grind, no new content, etc.)
Castlevania PoR DS (worst castlevania game ever)
PoP Warrior Within (not backwards compatible)
Zuma XBLA (Colorblind people stay away)
Hoshigami for DS (poor imitation of FF Tactics)
Diddy Kong Racing DS (n64 version was way less buggy)
Spectrobes DS (don't know what to say...just....no)
James Bond Rogue Agent for DS (horrible controls)
Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap and Phantom Hourglass (Seasons and Ages kicked the crap out of the new ones)

I've wanted to rant like this for a long time...so thank you TC.
*Bomberman for 360 wasn't a failure because of the more realistic bomberman. I could deal with that. What I couldn't deal with was the amount of effort not put into that game. They basically created a box, put miniature boxes that either a. could blow up or b. couldn't blow up, created the story mode that had no cutscenes, no expression from your character, and didn't even progress in difficulty. It basically said, alright, there's a 100 rooms with evil bomber people trying to kill you, now, what we want you to do, is play 100 matches in a row with no checkpoints and we're going to call each room the next level...will have no different scenery, no new powerups, just the same shit over and over and over again. And if you lose, you get to start all over, and play 100 more matches to win. Game production time must have been like...24 hours at most.

grimreeker

Sep 1, 2008
Spyro:enter the dragonfly. I was too young to understand that the developer had switched, but loved the first three games. So I got it and absolutely couldn't believe how horrible it had become.

grimreeker

Sep 1, 2008
Divine-Devil post=9.70229.687586 said:
LowLadyDeuce post=9.70229.687540 said:
Two Worlds.

I bought two copies of the Collector's Edition from the store a certain somebody on this site works at, one for me and one for him, after the manager (mis)informed we could play it together.
The multiplayer was terrible. Like, completely unforgivably awful and not at all what we expected.

So much money, so very, very wasted.
Keep in mind, in Canada, games are about $10 more expensive than they are in the states-- although our wallets don't get as viciously raped as the 'stralians, apparently.
I think the boxes were about $80 a pop, each? Maybe $70, but I really doubt it?

In any case, the two of us just sort of struggled through the single player and multi modes, praying it'd get better eventually, and it just. never. did.
Oh, god. Somebody. Please. Hold me.
Believe me, everyone in Australia knows how you feel.

$100 for a new game, $69.95 for something that's been out for 6 months or so.
Eh.
Is that in US or Canadian and Australian dollars? check the exchange rate before you gripe. You could be paying the same as or less than Americans.

Syphonz

Aug 22, 2008
CoH: Opposing Fronts.

I installed it, it tells me i can't continue without patching for RelicOnline...fine.

Patch Downloads, Patch starts install, patch is corrupt?! RE-INSTALL AND TRY AGAIN?!?!

i did this 7x and got the same results...I hate you relic.

Shuffle

Sep 3, 2008
Most terrible buy ever "Viva Pinata", seemed entertaining. Shortly it turned into hours of labor to grow and keep gardens alive. However, I will say beating the pinatas to death with a shovel was oh so entertaining and made up for a few of the wasted days