Regretted purchases, and why?

Erikaiht

Jul 16, 2008
I can't say I regret a single purchase. I make intelligent decisions about what games I buy, and anything I am unsure about, I rent.

zoozilla

Dec 3, 2007
Spider-Man 2 for the PC.

Not even Bruce Campbell could keep that game from being one of the worst I've ever played. I think it was made with 5-year olds in mind, and even they would find it repetitive and boring.

Jobz

May 5, 2008
It's rare I buy games without doing a fair amount of research first to make sure I'm going to like them. On the occasion that I buy a game without reading up on it I've been both pleasantly surprised and deeply pissed off. Here are a few of the latter:

Too Human - I don't know why everyone raved about the graphics, I played it in HD on a Samsung LCD TV and they looked like something off of the PS2. The game play was far too simple for my liking, swing right analog stick, hold right trigger. Yay! Dead enemies. I did like the class system and the alignment choices, but it wasn't enough to make me enjoy this game.

Two Worlds - I don't think I need to say anything about this one.

Haze - Once again, self explanatory.

But the game that disappointed me most of all was MGS4. That's right, I said it. I loved the entire series previous to it, so immediately bought it upon release (Had to beg my brother to bring his PS3 up when my family came for a visit so I could play it while he was here). I played the game for about four hours and lost all interest in it. The stealth game play seemed broken. You didn't need any fancy guns because the tranquilizer dart put all enemies to sleep long enough for you to finish any mission with one hit. In the four hours I played the game roughly 45-60 minutes of that I was actually controlling Snake, the rest were cut scenes. I just didn't enjoy it at all, plain and simple.

ElArabDeMagnifico

Dec 20, 2007
Two PC ports that were shoddiest of "shod":

Gears of War

Splinter Cell: Double Agent

but sorry, NO RETURNS ALLOWED! It is to stop piracy!

HURR HURR!

Divine-Devil

Aug 29, 2008
grimreeker post=9.70229.690102 said:
Divine-Devil post=9.70229.687586 said:
LowLadyDeuce post=9.70229.687540 said:
Two Worlds.

I bought two copies of the Collector's Edition from the store a certain somebody on this site works at, one for me and one for him, after the manager (mis)informed we could play it together.
The multiplayer was terrible. Like, completely unforgivably awful and not at all what we expected.

So much money, so very, very wasted.
Keep in mind, in Canada, games are about $10 more expensive than they are in the states-- although our wallets don't get as viciously raped as the 'stralians, apparently.
I think the boxes were about $80 a pop, each? Maybe $70, but I really doubt it?

In any case, the two of us just sort of struggled through the single player and multi modes, praying it'd get better eventually, and it just. never. did.
Oh, god. Somebody. Please. Hold me.
Believe me, everyone in Australia knows how you feel.

$100 for a new game, $69.95 for something that's been out for 6 months or so.
Eh.
Is that in US or Canadian and Australian dollars? check the exchange rate before you gripe. You could be paying the same as or less than Americans.
And I do good sir. It's $100 bucks Australian which is about $82 US. It used to be higher, but apparently Australia and a lot of other countries climbed towards USA in dollar worth.
I don't rant without reason, so don't tell me that it's due to a "higher standard of living". That's absolute rubbish in my opinion. Of our 19 million plus population, there's a huge bunch of the poor suburbs layered around the country. Plus the government don't seem to be helping things. They make a huge fuss with a gigantic press conference over taking a quarter of a percent off interest rates. Whoop de frigging do. Out of the US's much bigger population, while still noting the homeless and poor, I think that they're doing a hell of a lot better than we are.

videot76

Aug 20, 2008
Try Sweden - you're lucky if you can get a new game for $US 100. It's more like 115 bucks, for just about any and all next-gen releases. Makes you think twice and thrice before buying, let me tell you. Thankfully, I can get my PS3 games off Ebay.
Oh, and forget about Rock Band - if you want instruments AND game (yes, no bundle!), it's about $US 360 or so. Even with the atrocious cross-atlantic large package shipping rates, it would STILL be cheaper to get it from abroad.

Daylight robbery is a term that springs to mind, except people are not robbed - for some reason, they CHOOSE to pay that much. We need to stop buying our games locally and go for imports, but then we would lose the scandinavian instruction booklets...4-language folders with the basic controls and epilepsy warnings. NO backstories, NO character presentations - comparing an english original with a localized version often makes you want to cry. And for crying out loud - do we NEED instructions in our native language for playing a game that requires a good grasp of english to understand? Even in action games with little to none verbal interaction theres cutscene dialogues that need that. I will boycott scandinavian releases forever because of the shameless waste and the rip-off prices.

Sackwak

Dec 20, 2007
The "Pimp My Ride" Game on PS2. Sure, i was looking for a nice cheap game to waste time on. I played the game once for about half an hour and put it down and never touched it since. Sure it was $40 Australian (bout the same price as a Platinum game) but i still feel ripped off. Why couldn't i have been interested in FPS's and buy Killzone instead!

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Spore - because I was stupid enough to buy it on EA downloader

The game itself is probably excellent, will let you know when I find out.

grimreeker

Sep 1, 2008
Divine-Devil post=9.70229.690859 said:
Two Worlds.

I bought two copies of the Collector's Edition from the store a certain somebody on this site works at, one for me and one for him, after the manager (mis)informed we could play it together.
The multiplayer was terrible. Like, completely unforgivably awful and not at all what we expected.

Keep in mind, in Canada, games are about $10 more expensive than they are in the states-- although our wallets don't get as viciously raped as the 'stralians, apparently.

In any case, the two of us just sort of struggled through the single player and multi modes, praying it'd get better eventually, and it just. never. did.

Eh.
Is that in US or Canadian and Australian dollars? check the exchange rate before you gripe. You could be paying the same as or less than Americans.
And I do good sir. It's $100 bucks Australian which is about $82 US. It used to be higher, but apparently Australia and a lot of other countries climbed towards USA in dollar worth.
I don't rant without reason, so don't tell me that it's due to a "higher standard of living". That's absolute rubbish in my opinion. Of our 19 million plus population, there's a huge bunch of the poor suburbs layered around the country. Plus the government don't seem to be helping things. They make a huge fuss with a gigantic press conference over taking a quarter of a percent off interest rates. Whoop de frigging do. Out of the US's much bigger population, while still noting the homeless and poor, I think that they're doing a hell of a lot better than we are.
Well, you've proved me wrong on that point. But say AU dollars next time.

grimreeker

Sep 1, 2008
videot76 post=9.70229.690923 said:
Try Sweden - you're lucky if you can get a new game for $US 100. It's more like 115 bucks, for just about any and all next-gen releases. Makes you think twice and thrice before buying, let me tell you. Thankfully, I can get my PS3 games off Ebay.
Oh, and forget about Rock Band - if you want instruments AND game (yes, no bundle!), it's about $US 360 or so. Even with the atrocious cross-atlantic large package shipping rates, it would STILL be cheaper to get it from abroad.

Daylight robbery is a term that springs to mind, except people are not robbed - for some reason, they CHOOSE to pay that much. We need to stop buying our games locally and go for imports, but then we would lose the scandinavian instruction booklets...4-language folders with the basic controls and epilepsy warnings. NO backstories, NO character presentations - comparing an english original with a localized version often makes you want to cry. And for crying out loud - do we NEED instructions in our native language for playing a game that requires a good grasp of english to understand? Even in action games with little to none verbal interaction theres cutscene dialogues that need that. I will boycott scandinavian releases forever because of the shameless waste and the rip-off prices.
Well then at least I don't have to buy my games in Sweden. That sounds awful.

AsdaCoke

Aug 30, 2008
Blacksite. It had so much potential, but it ultimately it was an utter letdown. Waste of £30.

Lulzovich

Aug 27, 2008
Dungeon Lords. Now, that game SUCKS. I don't know why I bought it actually... In a magazine I read, they said it kinda sucked, and it was even bigger disappointment just because the game was made by some legendary RPG maker or something... But I probably bought it because pretty much everything that any magazine says that sucks, I find entertaining. Now that's some weird s**t isn't it?

Dioxide45

Jul 19, 2008
Two Worlds.

Eh.
Unfortuneatly we in NZ have to pay about $10 extra then Aussies usually.

Divine-Devil

Aug 29, 2008
grimreeker post=9.70229.692819 said:
Divine-Devil post=9.70229.690859 said:
Two Worlds.

Eh.
Well, you've proved me wrong on that point. But say AU dollars next time.
Sure thing! Man, I can make myself sound bitchy when I look back on this.
And yeah the Sweden thing really sounds bad, but I told myself that playing the "Higher standard of living + 20" card was bullswax, so I won't use it here.

I wish I'd buy more online, but while it's cheaper, I've lost 2 items in the past from power sellers no less and ended up without the game, or my money back. So unless it's registered post, I find it hard to trust. Meh.

Don Chibi

Sep 3, 2008
Tabula Rasa, i brought the collectors eddition, picked it up for £15 so i was kinda weary to start with, but i was most happy with all the goodies in the box, but i should've heeded Yahtzee's words the game was realy lame, oh and the dog tags that came with it gave me a rash so yea...

Sensei Le Roof

Jul 2, 2008
Unholykrumpet post=9.70229.690062 said:
Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap and Phantom Hourglass (Seasons and Ages kicked the crap out of the new ones)
While I agree Minish had a goofy premise and the Oracle games were comparatively innovative (yes, I know Ages could be seen as a variant of Ocarina, now go away), but counterbalance may be found in that Oracles had music that could set your teeth on edge.

As for games I regret buying, two Final Fantasies come to mind: 10-2 and 12. I had the good fortune to evade 10.
10-2 was the giant neon sign with a huge arrow that flashed NOT REAL FF in your face.
12 might have been an attempt to get back to the fantasy part of things, but I found it dull and unengaging.
I bought 8 as well, but at least I had three discs of fun+interesting before I stopped caring about getting to the finish, so I can't really say it's a regret.

Post Office Buddy

Sep 3, 2008
Crysis (Too full of aliens)
Far Cry (Too full of trigen)
Ocarina of Time (Too much like Baby's-First-Diablo)
Neverwinter Nights 2 (Too restrictive)

I'm sure there are other