Regretting Our Words and Deeds

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Samtemdo8 said:
Zetatrain said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Am I the only one who thinks its Hideo Kojima's own fault he got fired?

Konami is not Ubisoft/EA level of rich and big. Making 2 big games in the form of MGS 5 and probably Silent Hills? And both game had celebraty backing? (The guy from 24 in MGS5 and the guy from Walking Dead in PT) and both games developing in the sametime and using that obviously expensive FOX Engine and hiring Guillermo del Toro?

Clearly a sign of overbudgeting and Konami cannot afford both things.
You do know that Konami makes enough money on Pachinko machines to make the profits from its video game branch look like chump change right?

I seriously doubt this is a case of Konami not being able to afford MGS5 and Silent Hill because they obviously can. If it was then Konami would at least be partially to blame for green lighting projects that were obviously going to be expensive from the very beginning.

Also if hiring the guy from Walking Dead for PT was too costly then why did they release PT for free in the first place? This is the same company that charged $30 for Ground Zeroes, its not like they are above this sort of thing.

When you combine the fact they already make a lot of money from Pachinko machines with the news and rumors about Konami's reshuffling, it seems more likely that Konami is just plain greedy, not poor.
I like to know just how profitable is gambling and pachinko are in Japan alone?

How much money can be made from Pachinko in Japan alone compared to the most highest selling games ever internationally?

And yes I think Konami is not that rich compared to EA and Ubisoft. Konami does not have studios in other countries. They don't have a "Konami Montreal" or "Konami LA"

And looking at Budgets the highest Budget Konami game they ever made until now was MGS 4 and thats already eclipsed by games that already pushed the limit.
You're close; Konami has a location in El Segundo, CA, among other locations which you can find here.
http://www.konami-digital-entertainment.com/contact.php
Which only further drives home how crazy Konami is for abandoning all video games, if I'm hearing it right.

Zetatrain

Sep 8, 2010
Country
United States
Samtemdo8 said:
Zetatrain said:
Samtemdo8 said:
You do know that Konami makes enough money on Pachinko machines to make the profits from its video game branch look like chump change right?

I seriously doubt this is a case of Konami not being able to afford MGS5 and Silent Hill because they obviously can. If it was then Konami would at least be partially to blame for green lighting projects that were obviously going to be expensive from the very beginning.

Also if hiring the guy from Walking Dead for PT was too costly then why did they release PT for free in the first place? This is the same company that charged $30 for Ground Zeroes, its not like they are above this sort of thing.

When you combine the fact they already make a lot of money from Pachinko machines with the news and rumors about Konami's reshuffling, it seems more likely that Konami is just plain greedy, not poor.

How much money can be made from Pachinko in Japan alone compared to the most highest selling games ever internationally?

And yes I think Konami is not that rich compared to EA and Ubisoft. Konami does not have studios in other countries. They don't have a "Konami Montreal" or "Konami LA"

And looking at Budgets the highest Budget Konami game they ever made until now was MGS4 and thats already eclipsed by games that already pushed the limit.
Ok I was partially wrong on my Pachinko statement. After looking at Konami's financial statements it turns out the majority of their net revenues comes from their "Digital Entertainment" branch which includes video games. So my statement about their profits from Pachinko was false.

However, Pachinko is very profitable in Japan in fact you could say its a national obsession. Gambling is actually illegal in Japan, but the Pachinko industry operates in a way that gets around Japan's gambling laws. The Pachinko industry generates about 30 trillion yen in profits per year.

I haven't bothered comparing Konami as a whole to EA or Ubisoft, but they are definitely not a small time corporation. In addition to their Digital Entertainment branch they have a Health and Fitness Branch, Gambling branch (Foreign), and of course Pachinko branch (domestic). So once again Konami definitely has the money to fund big games like MGS V and Silent Hill with well known celebrities. I would also like to point out the the Yugioh Card game is arguably the most profitable product in the Digital Entertainment branch.

Also you are wrong about Konami not having any foreign studios
http://www.ign.com/companies/kojima-productions-142584
Granted I have no idea if it is still active given whats currently going on at Konami

While the majority of Konami's profits have been from their digital entertainment branch, over the past five years (at least) Konami has been slowly shifting their focus from this branch to their other branches especially their gambling and Pachinkco branches. Given the rumors and news we have been hearing about Konami it is possible they are making their first big step towards reorganizing the company.

Despite the profits they make from the AAA video game industry, its entirely possible that the highers ups at Konami decided that the Gambling and Pachinko industries would be more profitable if they focused the majority of their efforts into those industries instead of the AAA gaming industry.

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
Caramel Frappe said:
Imp Emissary said:
Caramel Frappe said:
If he stayed, all the things he slaved over would just burn anyways ... because Konami loves to ruin what we cherished as classic video games. Even EA, EA at least has some dignity for their franchises, despite what they did to Dead Space 3. At least they didn't turn Dead Space into a pachinko slot machine game because .. . .. for reasons??!
I'd imagine the reason they haven't turned a game franchise into a pachinko machine is because it's not as popular outside Japan.

If it was, they would do it. Lets not forget what they did to Dungeon Keeper. ;p
Yeah, EA isn't entirely innocent ... in fact, saying they're innocent is far from the truth at hand. But even so, EA hasn't done anything to make Jim Sterling lose his crap like how Konami did. Konami's treatment towards video games, people, even their OWN employees is enough to ruin their business as a whole. Like seriously, have you heard what they make their employees go through? It's totally against the law man, or at least half of the stuff should be considered 'rights violated' in that context.
<.< I may have heard a few things, yes.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying EA is worse than Konami. Just saying that EA has done some things almost as bad if not equal to Konami. Including how they treat their developers.

Although, if I could trust them to also keep making good games I wouldn't care if they started making Silent Hill condoms.
Sadly, I'm not sure if I could trust them to even make a condom that wouldn't break. ;p

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
I'm pretty certain Kojima will either get hired on by a new studio or form his own studio. So I'm sure he's safe.

Let's me honest, plenty of companies would jump at the opportunity to have his name on some new games. Kojima is one of the few people in the game industry I legitimately think of as a Rock Star (The other is Miyamoto). Even ignoring his name recognition, this shit storm would likely make potential customers curious to see what new game Kojima as developed for [insert developer here]. Plus, he can make games other than Metal Gear, which I know makes him happy. Maybe we can see a spiritual successor to Zone of the Enders or Snatcher?

As for Konami, I'm feeling very conflicted on this. I don't know if I can buy MGSV. I don't know if I can support Konami after all this nonsense. After everything I've heard. After all the news of their treatment of their employees. After the way they have treated their own franchises. I don't know if I can support the company. In fact, I'm starting to no longer desire to even play MGSV purely because of the company's bad behavior. The game looks fine, but the company looks horrible.

This whole situation in depressing.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Zetatrain said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Zetatrain said:
Samtemdo8 said:

And looking at Budgets the highest Budget Konami game they ever made until now was MGS4 and thats already eclipsed by games that already pushed the limit.
Ok I was partially wrong on my Pachinko statement. After looking at Konami's financial statements it turns out the majority of their net revenues comes from their "Digital Entertainment" branch which includes video games. So my statement about their profits from Pachinko was false.

However, Pachinko is very profitable in Japan in fact you could say its a national obsession. Gambling is actually illegal in Japan, but the Pachinko industry operates in a way that gets around Japan's gambling laws. The Pachinko industry generates about 30 trillion yen in profits per year.

I haven't bothered comparing Konami as a whole to EA or Ubisoft, but they are definitely not a small time corporation. In addition to their Digital Entertainment branch they have a Health and Fitness Branch, Gambling branch (Foreign), and of course Pachinko branch (domestic). So once again Konami definitely has the money to fund big games like MGS V and Silent Hill with well known celebrities. I would also like to point out the the Yugioh Card game is arguably the most profitable product in the Digital Entertainment branch.

Also you are wrong about Konami not having any foreign studios
http://www.ign.com/companies/kojima-productions-142584
Granted I have not idea if it is still active given whats currently going on at Konami

While the majority of Konami's profits have been from their digital entertainment branch, over the past five years (at least) Konami has been slowly shifting their focus from this branch to their other branches especially their gambling and Pachinkco branches. Given the rumors and news we have been hearing about Konami it is possible they are making their first big step towards reorganizing the company.

Despite the profits they make from the AAA video game industry, its entirely possible that the highers ups at Konami decided that the Gambling and Pachinko industries would be more profitable if they focused the majority of their efforts in those industries instead of the AAA gaming industry.

See that reply is ten times better than all the over-zealous people in the internet spouting "#FuckKonami!!!"

Level-headed, factual, and neutral discussion.

No over-zealous, fanboy rants.

One of my issues with this whole Konami controversy is how increadibly over-zealous the gaming community is on this. Yes I think its a damn shame that Silent Hills is canceled, it could have been the proper sequal to the first 4 Silent Hills (even though I thought Downpour was worthy of being a return to form) and Konami may abandon gaming all together after the release of MGS 5.

But for goodness sake I feel everyone is still stuck in the anger stage of grief. I just man up and accept it like an adult.

(Personally though I have always been more of a Resident Evil guy than Silent Hills, I did play the first 3 games mind you)

Amir Kondori

Apr 11, 2013
Samtemdo8 said:
Am I the only one who thinks its Hideo Kojima's own fault he got fired?

Konami is not Ubisoft/EA level of rich and big. Making 2 big games in the form of MGS 5 and probably Silent Hills? And both game had celebraty backing? (The guy from 24 in MGS5 and the guy from Walking Dead in PT) and both games developing in the sametime and using that obviously expensive FOX Engine and hiring Guillermo del Toro?

Clearly a sign of overbudgeting and Konami cannot afford both things.
He doesn't set the budget, Konami does. All he can do is ask and then accept whatever Konami deems acceptable. While none of us knows for sure it seems like it was Konami's pigheaded control of the studio that led to the breakdown in the relationship. There are many grumblings of very unhappy Konami employees around the net.

Cekil1

Aug 22, 2008
Saltyk said:
As for Konami, I'm feeling very conflicted on this. I don't know if I can buy MGSV. I don't know if I can support Konami after all this nonsense. After everything I've heard. After all the news of their treatment of their employees. After the way they have treated their own franchises. I don't know if I can support the company. In fact, I'm starting to no longer desire to even play MGSV purely because of the company's bad behavior. The game looks fine, but the company looks horrible.

This whole situation in depressing.
It will be on eBay and [ insert name of re-sale site here ] soon enough. Buying from there means you won't be supporting Konami. On the other hand, considering everything that's come out on this subject, I don't blame you for washing your hands of the whole thing.

Seracen

Sep 20, 2009
All I want is another Zone of the Enders, even if it's not allowed to be called that! He can do that...right? RIGHT?!?!?!