Reinstalling WoW

lorrdmatt

Jun 3, 2009
Hello!

I'm going back to WoW and I would like to know how to reinstall it basically as I've got a new computer whilst not playing WoW. I've got hard copies of vanilla, lich king and cataclysm but I have a digital copy of burning crusade. What would be the best way to reinstall WoW?

thanks guys!

Sp3ratus

Apr 11, 2009
If your account is fully upgraded to Cataclysm and all that, the easiest way by far is to go to your Battle.net account and get the WoW downloader from there. Provided that you have a decent connection, it should take 4-5 hours to download and upgrade to the latest patch and you should be ready to go. It's the way I did it not so long ago and I much prefer that way, instead of having to swap disks and download the patch seperately.

lorrdmatt

Jun 3, 2009
Well I have a copy of cataclysm, but i haven't used it yet, i've just bought it. The most recent expansion I actually played was lich king. Will that make any difference?

Alfador_VII

Nov 2, 2009
lorrdmatt said:
Well I have a copy of cataclysm, but i haven't used it yet, i've just bought it. The most recent expansion I actually played was lich king. Will that make any difference?
Have you used the code from Cataclysm to upgrade your account? If not, go to Battle.net and do that, then download the installer from there. You don't need any of the media in that box :)

Sp3ratus

Apr 11, 2009
Alfador_VII said:
lorrdmatt said:
Have you used the code from Cataclysm to upgrade your account? If not, go to Battle.net and do that, then download the installer from there. You don't need any of the media in that box :)
Do this, but really, I don't think it'll make a difference either way. The downloader upgrades to the latest patch, regardless of whether you have the latest expansion installed or not, since all get the upgrades leveling zones and all that.

Moriarty

Apr 29, 2009
for the record: you can download any blizzard games you registered with your battle.net account directly from there. So if you've played around the time they switched from regular wow accounts t battle.net account you're fine. If not you might have to do that retroactively at battle.net

capcha: "diagnosis, foriest" ... whuh?

Alfador_VII

Nov 2, 2009
Sp3ratus said:
Alfador_VII said:
lorrdmatt said:
Do this, but really, I don't think it'll make a difference either way. The downloader upgrades to the latest patch, regardless of whether you have the latest expansion installed or not, since all get the upgrades leveling zones and all that.
True, but you don't get access to the Cata-only content until you upgrade the account. That's basically level 81-85, archeology, new races, flying in Azeroth, that sort of thing.

The game client is the same regardless of expansion status, it just changes what you have access to.

Sp3ratus

Apr 11, 2009
Alfador_VII said:
Sp3ratus said:
Alfador_VII said:
lorrdmatt said:
True, but you don't get access to the Cata-only content until you upgrade the account. That's basically level 81-85, archeology, new races, flying in Azeroth, that sort of thing.

The game client is the same regardless of expansion status, it just changes what you have access to.
Yea, you're right, he's missing out on a lot if he doesn't upgrade. I was just anwering whether his download would make be different, depending on if he upgraded or not, though. Upgrading is the way to go as it really completes the new leveling experience.

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
Sp3ratus said:
Alfador_VII said:
Sp3ratus said:
Alfador_VII said:
lorrdmatt said:

Yea, you're right, he's missing out on a lot if he doesn't upgrade. I was just anwering whether his download would make be different, depending on if he upgraded or not, though. Upgrading is the way to go as it really completes the new leveling experience.
I don't think the client is any different.

However, the Cataclysm disc should have the entire client installer on it, making it much faster than using the online downloader, which downloads the exact content of the disc, then installs and patches.
Use that instead.