Rekoil Review - Rifle Butts

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
On youtube you said you were using shadowplay; did disabling shadowplay allow the game to run better? I'm just curious as to what you did to the game to fix mitigate the brokenness of it.

That said, this looks like a game I wouldn't even play if it was free. If I want to play CoD, I'll just play CoD.

AznaktaX

Dec 3, 2013
So, a 3/10 it is.

You are quite generous.

But, I guess, after the fixes, the game is just mediocre.

There are worse games out there.

But a 3/10 means it's still garbage.

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
Weaver said:
On youtube you said you were using shadowplay; did disabling shadowplay allow the game to run better? I'm just curious as to what you did to the game to fix mitigate the brokenness of it.

That said, this looks like a game I wouldn't even play if it was free. If I want to play CoD, I'll just play CoD.
I did nothing. Though it seems their last update forced Shadowplay to be unable to record footage. :-D

Terraniux

Oct 4, 2011
Well, now I feel bad even worse for buying Takedown: Red Sabre. It's got more entertainment value than Ride to Hell: Retribution, though. I'll give it that.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Jimothy Sterling said:
Weaver said:

I did nothing. Though it seems their last update forced Shadowplay to be unable to record footage. :-D
That should surprise me but I think it's a bad sign of the industry that it really doesn't.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Ahh finally. Another truly awful game to rip on!
It has been so long since ride to hell: retribution, that i was beginning to lose faith.

It is times like this where being a game critic can actually feel like a job ;)

Spud of Doom

Feb 24, 2011
Mr. Sterling is not a happy chappy today. We need to be careful around him when he has been thrown a terrible videogame.

JamesTan

Jan 30, 2014
Hi Jim,

I replied to your posts on YouTube but did not get a response. For those that don't know, I'm one of the programmers who worked on Rekoil.

To clarify, I didn't write anything into the latest patch that would have stopped nVidia's ShadowPlay from working. So it wasn't like I secretly attempted to stop you from being able to do that.

I'm curious if you tried the Rekondite mode?

While I would have preferred to release the game in a much better state, there was a lot of other reasons why the game came out when it did and in the state that it did.

At the end of the day, the best thing I can do from here is admit that the game did not come out in a state that I was personally happy with. This doesn't directly help the people that bought the game, but I am hoping that future patches help make their investment in the game worth while.

At this point, I thank you for the time you've taken to look at the game and to review it; even if you didn't like it in the end. I do hope however, that some time in the future you'd take a look at it again and let me know if I'm moving the project in the right direction.

Falterfire

Jul 9, 2012
Xsjadoblayde said:
Ahh finally. Another truly awful game to rip on!
It has been so long since ride to hell: retribution, that i was beginning to lose faith.

It is times like this where being a game critic can actually feel like a job ;)
TotalBiscuit had fun tearing Guise of the Wolf a new one just a few days ago. Bad graphics, bad sound design, bad gameplay... The game has everything! If you want to watch him tear it apart: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZB8YRafUfCY

Kargathia

Jul 16, 2009
Shame, I remember watching Alpha footage of this on TotalBiscuit's channel, and liking what I saw.

PainInTheAssInternet

The Ship Magnificent
Dec 30, 2011
JamesTan said:
Hi Jim,

I replied to your posts on YouTube but did not get a response. For those that don't know, I'm one of the programmers who worked on Rekoil.

To clarify, I didn't write anything into the latest patch that would have stopped nVidia's ShadowPlay from working. So it wasn't like I secretly attempted to stop you from being able to do that.

I'm curious if you tried the Rekondite mode?

While I would have preferred to release the game in a much better state, there was a lot of other reasons why the game came out when it did and in the state that it did.

At the end of the day, the best thing I can do from here is admit that the game did not come out in a state that I was personally with. This doesn't directly help the people that bought the game, but I am hoping that future patches help make their investment in the game worth while.

At this point, I thank you for the time you've taken to look at the game and to review it; even if you didn't like it in the end. I do hope however, that some time in the future you'd take a look at it again and let me know if I'm moving the project in the right direction.
Holy crap! We actually have a programmer that's worked on an official game in the forums.

Welcome to the Escapist, mate. Hope you stick around and enjoy your stay. We could probably learn a lot.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
PainInTheAssInternet said:
Holy crap! We actually have a programmer that's worked on an official game in the forums.

Welcome to the Escapist, mate. Hope you stick around and enjoy your stay. We could probably learn a lot.
A few of them pop up every now and then.

Daaaah Whoosh said:
One and a half stars? I'd hate to see a 1-star game.
You should check out Jim or TotalBiscuit's videos on Guise of the Wolf.

JamesTan said:
Good on you for taking everything in stride, man. While I'll admit I have little interest in the game (mostly because I have little interest in competitive online games in the first place), it's always pleasant to see someone who can take criticism well.

For what it's worth, it seemed to me like there wasn't any unique pulling reason to get Rekoil. Like Jim said, once you get past the bugs it was released with, it just kinda seems like the multitude of other competitive shooters around right now, which really isn't going to help it in the long run because people already have those shooters. Certainly implementing gimmicks for the sake of being different is no better, but I think it's a difficult market to try grabbing at the moment.

JamesTan

Jan 30, 2014
There is no denying the points that Jim has made. What I do hope though, is that in the future he would take the time look at the game again. Seems like he is ignoring me though, which is a bit of shame as I was hoping to open a dialog.

While the game play currently isn't anything to shoot home about, the one thing I can say reasonably confidently is that we're trying to give the power back to the community. First we let anybody set up their own dedicated servers. Second we allow people to modify the game. Lastly we want to continue to receive feedback, negative or positive as with that we can only make this game a much more fun experience for everyone and increase the value of the investment people have made with the game.

Kahani

May 25, 2011
JamesTan said:
While the game play currently isn't anything to shoot home about, the one thing I can say reasonably confidently is that we're trying to give the power back to the community. First we let anybody set up their own dedicated servers. Second we allow people to modify the game.
But the problem here is exactly as Jim said in the article - there is nothing new or unique about that. If I can get exactly the same experience from playing something like Unreal Tournament or Quake 3 - both released nearly 15 years ago - why would I bother buying your game? Or if you happen to really need modern graphics and "realistic" weapons, what exactly sets your game apart from something like Counter-Strike: Global Offensive, which also allows private servers and mods?

Lastly we want to continue to receive feedback, negative or positive as with that we can only make this game a much more fun experience for everyone and increase the value of the investment people have made with the game.
While that's an admirable sentiment, it's not what the vast majority of people actually want. What people want is a finished game that they can just pick up and immediately enjoy. Early access and open betas have become quite a thing recently, but it's actually only a very small minority of players who actually get involved with them - particularly prominent games offering early access like Project Eternity and Torment only had around 70,000 backers, and the vast majority of even that relatively small number didn't opt for beta access. Asking for feedback may be better than just completely ignoring everyone, but if you've having to do it after the game has already released you've already failed.

JamesTan

Jan 30, 2014
I can only hope that eventually that the game will find its own unique aspect as we receive more community feedback and community content.

I've only heard CS:GO currently only allows maps and weapon skins on their Workshop? My grand goal is to allow every aspect of Rekoil to be modded.

Unfortunately this is the card that has been dealt, and while it isn't ideal I can only try to make the situation better. I'd much rather try to do something for those that have bought the game and interact with those that are speaking publicly about it.

The only thing I can say about failure is that there are two options: I can try to make the game better for everyone and turn it into a success or I can just stop and leave it as a failure. One of those situations is a maybe while the other one is a definite truth. Faced with those two options, I'd rather take the chance and try to redeem the product for the people who've paid for the game than to just leave them with no option at all.

KDR_11k

Feb 10, 2009
505 isn't the kind of publisher that has a bar for quality. They publish all kinds of utter garbage.

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
Didn't believe it at first glance that models would seperate from their texture's, untill I saw a screenshot. I'll pass it anyway since I prefer to have tactics in games.

Glaice

Mar 18, 2013
505 I've heard nothing but bad stories about, including the one of them attempting to censor negative criticism on the Rekoil forums, the Steam community page for the game and elsewhere.

Reminds me of what WarZ/Infestation: Survivor Stories did many months ago.