Relationship age gaps?

Nerexor

Mar 23, 2009
The "golden rule" that I was taught is "half your age plus seven." So if your 20, you can date a 17 year old. If your 40, you can date a 27 year old, etc... I know that it makes no sense as a rule, but it does seem to fit together ages that don't feel horribly creepy[footnote]at least not to me personally, I can't speak for everyone else.[/footnote], so I guess it's alright. In the end, as long as both parties are of age they can do what they want. No matter how weird or normal it may seem to others.

Astoria

Oct 25, 2010
Half your age +7 is usually a good gague for when an age difference becomes creepy, but it's not always the case. Age is just a number and if you're truely happy with someone then to hell with age. I do think in some case though it's inevitable that'll have an impact, its unlikely that a 18 year old uni student still living at home will make it work with a 35 year old who has kids, is divorsed and works full time.

Spinozaad

Jun 16, 2008
It's very simple. Assuming the age of consent is 16. This is taken from a male perspective.

If she's 16 or over: Rule of Seven (your age divided by two, plus seven. I.e. I'm 24, so: 24/2 + 7 = 19)
If she's younger than 16: 2 Year Rule. If you are a 16 year old, you can date a 14 year old. Courts (in the Netherlands) won't haul your ass to jail if the two of you are having consensual sex.

If she's older than you... 10 years max.

Dags90

Oct 27, 2009
Helmholtz Watson said:
Assuming both parties are at least 18, five years older or younger is fine. After that, I don't know what you would talk about and you might be in very different places in your lives.
Because the only thing you do on dates is stroke each other's nostalgia boners about how awesome 90's cartoons were? Someone who opts to skip college education can wind up with a steady career type job by 20, easily. Someone who pursues years of post graduate study might not have their first job until they're almost in their 30's.