Relationships

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
It's mine and Boyfriend's 7th anniversary tomorrow, so I'm thinking about relationships recently, and we haven't had one of these types of threads in a while (as far as I can remember).

So, like a drunk aunt you try to avoid at a wedding, I'm gonna ask you how your love life is going, or if you're not in a relationship, what you value in a relationship. Or if you don't like relationships, tell me something in your life that's made you happy recently.

As for me, it may sound clich?, but I enjoy being able to share my interests with someone. A lot of what I talk about day-to-day with Boyfriend is about games or other nerdy interests, and it's nice to have someone who understands. Plus we get some pretty interesting discussions out of it (like could Saitama from OPM beat the guys from DBZ, I say yes, Boyfriend says no), as well as some interesting arguments (Captain America DOES have super-powers and I won't hear otherwise).

So yeah, lemme hear it. Do you have a significant other? What do you like about them?

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Nah, I don't have a significant other. A. I'm insufferably pessimistic and have made cynicism into an art form and B. I've had insanely horrible and abusive girlfriends in the past, so that's not a bridge I want to cross(which added to my pessimism I might add) and I apparently 'suffer' from Resting Sad Face which pisses women off to no end, again, apparently.

Also I'm not a very cuddly person, shocking I know. I always hated 'sharing' and all that...lovey dovey stuff. Like don't ask me about my dreams or how I'm feeling. If I wanted you to know, I'd tell you. If I don't, its really none of your business, and before you offer, no I don't care about the crazy dream you had last night and no I don't want to see those pictures of your sister on vacation, and no I don't want to go on a double-date with your old boyfriend and his new GF that looks just like you but I'm the only one who seems to notice it or the goo-goo eyes you two keep making. Also no, I don't want to watch Amelie again and no you have nothing in common with her, stop asking and for fucks sake put the spoon down.

Also cuddling as a thing I can really do without. My thoughts are as follows: "Wait, I'm not going to get laid, I'm not allowed to fall asleep because I apparently snore, my arm is all tingling, you're way too warm and its causing me to sweat, my back hurts because we're in a position that benefits you and not me, and your hair is tickling my nose but if I go to scratch you tell me to stop moving. And we're gonna be like this for hours."

Yeah, no thanks. I'd sooner have a Tequila hangover than have to go through *shudder* cuddling again *shudder shudder*

But on the lighter side of things that have made me happy recently, I started an even harder cardio regime which I love, I won the speed painting contest and the single HQ duel tournament at my local Games Workshop. OH! And my cousin is getting married next weekend and its an open bar. So there's that.

And I sorta' enjoyed today's MLP episode. At least the songs. The rest, meh.

Sep 14, 2009
Don't have a significant other, not for a lack of trying, just can't find one that remotely has the same interests or meshes well with me. I did surprisingly meet a girl recently, our personalities have clicked so harmoniously we could probably finish each others sentences, but about 6 hours after meeting her she said she wasn't looking to date anyone at all (which is fine, and I appreciated the upfront honesty) so that's kind of a bummer considering we click on so many things and I think she finds me attractive? (I swear I've caught her staring at me) But I'm not gonna push that issue, unless she wants to bring it up again maybe? She's asked me to hangout multiple times already and texts me every frickin day, so it can be a bit confusing.

But for my significant others in the past, I usually like someone who can take my shit and sling it right back in my face, I don't want to say it's a "challenge", I just like that fiery chemistry. It's obviously a really small thing, and everyone is different, but I do like small actions of confirmation...for example, she randomly sends me cute texts and shit or says things to reaffirm something she loves about me/us/etc..., it doesn't need to be all the time, just every once in a while it's a really nice "wow, how am I this lucky?" sort of moment.

Sleepy Sol

Feb 15, 2011
Not recently. But I haven't tried in a while either. The limited experience I have with romantic relationships has kind of turned me off from them for the time being. Most girls I've been with have done some pretty unpleasant things to me, to put it mildly. And I don't tend to view myself as worth someone's time with the spot in life I'm at right now, either.

Maybe someday. But not for a few more years at minimum. I feel I'm far too selfish and self-interested to be with someone now.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
I love my girlfriend but maybe set the alarm at the time we agree on instead of 20 minutes early every fucking time.

FillerDmon

Jun 6, 2014
I don't really have a signifigant other, because of complications.

I'm in love with my best friend, and despite the fact that we both know she doesn't feel anything about me and that I'm just immersing myself in a dream, I can't take myself to not love her. She's literally the best person to ever happen to my life, and I can't bring myself to not love her. Worst / Best about it is that she doesn't mind how I feel. We try not to let it get in the way of our friendship.

We share interests, we understand each other, we support each other, and we trust each other to the hilt. Things I've been able to say to her that I could never share with anyone else, not even my parents or family, and likewise she's trusted me with things, too. She's always there for me when I need to be able to share a frustration, and I'd be willing to drop heaven and earth to help her.

I wouldn't mind finding a nice girl who shares similar interests and who I could be comfortable around. I'm not even judgy based on appearance or anything like that (surprised by some of the comments I do hear about people who are, actually); my only real turn off in that regard would be smokers or drug-abusers. Just... it's hard to look for someone else when I'm already spending a lot of my spare time with someone who I would literally give my life for.

On a related note, considering Saitama's training is quite... well, good for a normal human, but not entirely outside the average there, I'd put him at Master Roshi / Krillin level, just from what little I know about him. I've been told I would do well to watch more of the series, but I've not been able to find anyway to do so. My knowledge might be flawed, but I don't see him just exploding people in DBZ because the bulk of the cast put themselves through that sort of training just as recreation, let alone training several times harder than it.

And Captain America doesn't have Powers, per-say. He -is- empowered. Slight difference. He counts as a super human, but his abilities are all still humanoid. Just up to 15. Which counts enough; Batman only comes up to 11, though he compensates with better toys.

Spider RedNight

There are holes in my brain
Oct 8, 2011
Aw, sad comments are so sad.

I'm also single because I loooove being single spending all my money and time on me and not having to worry about what someone else thinks or feels or wants. And since your original inquiry included "tell something that's made you happy recently" - I'm having an absolute blast with Uncharted 4. Dammit Sam Drake, stop being so likable.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
I've made a vow to avoid any romantic relationships until my financial situation stabilizes.
My couch-surfing ex who refuses to socialize with anyone else makes it impossible anyways.

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
Married and only ten days away from our second wedding anniversary. We're doing fine.

Vanilla ISIS

Dec 14, 2015
I used to do the whole relationship thing (some were fun, most were a chore) but I just don't have the time for it.
I work 40 hours per week in my day job, plus another 40 hours or so trying to kickstart my dream career.
I'm also very active, both physically and mentally and I practice various forms of artistic self expression.
I barely have time so see or even talk to my friends.
Maybe if a day had 40+ hours, I could fit a girlfriend in there somewhere.

kris40k

Feb 12, 2015
Yeah, I'm engaged to be married. We've been in a relationship for about 6 years in a row now. I say in a row, because we met longer then that ago, was together for awhile, broke up, then got back together years later. We've been through a lot of tough shit together over the years, and I think that we've weathered it, and came through stronger to the point that I decided I wanted to stay with her forever, and so I proposed. I think it helped that during one time of almost breaking up we finally cut the shit and got honest with what we really wanted from each other. Not just pretend shit that we think the other wants to hear. Since then we came back even stronger and happier since we now both are actively working with legit information about what the other wants.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
I've kinda given up on it all. Its extremely hard for me to date anyways. Not exactly the best looking guy. Got scars on my body, I hate my generation and women in my area are extremely shallow.

Congrrats on the Anniversary, TC.

MysticSlayer

Apr 14, 2013
Never been in a relationship. Part of that is by choice, as the few people who have made clear advancements towards me had obvious substance abuse problems they were extremely proud of. Part of that is bad luck, as I seem to only be interested in those not interested in relationships with anyone (and the aforementioned drug addict problem). A few years ago that may have depressed me. Now it is becoming somewhat comical.

Nimcha

Dec 6, 2010
Living together for about a year now, all going well. Sort of thinking about marriage but my girlfriend is still not done stuyding so that comes first. I'm happy anyway, we're about to get our second cat.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Nope. Not in one, never had one.

Not for a lack of trying though, as I am sure is the case for a whole bunch of people.

Problem that I always end up having is that I end up getting all into girls who end up already having boyfriends, so that ends up being a no-go zone.

My friends keep on trying to take me to clubs and getting me to try and pull, but that isn't the way that I would like to do things, and my confidence around sex (etc) is next to zero because of an operation that I had, and I am always worried that people will laugh at me because of it, should the situation ever arrise.

It is a pretty strange and unique situation that I find myself in, and a lot of people who I try to talk to about it always end up with a "got mine, get yours" kind of attitude, so that kinda puts me off that, too.

That being said, though, its never really been something that has really bothered me that much, though. Its not like I have some crazy need or desire to get with someone. I find myself to be a very low-tolerance person when it comes to bullshit, and I am honestly enjoying the fact that I have quite a lot of disposible income to splash about, so things are looking good for me.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
Nope, no significant other. I'm much too selfish with my free time to ever want to spend it with anyone else. Hanging out with friends is one thing but having to live with someone and hang out with them is something I won't ever do.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Spider RedNight said:
Aw, sad comments are so sad.
To be fair we are on the Internet, and a video game website, and and the sub forums at that. Ain't exactly like we're all Ryan Gosling with a compulsive desire to give out diamond rings to everyone who think they're unique and that no one understands them.

Savryc

NAPs, Spooks and Poz. Oh my!
Aug 4, 2011
Well there is a girl I have rather strong feelings for. They're not mutual though it seems. Sometimes I wonder if it would be healthier to cut ties but the thought of not having her in my life seems more painful than my current situation.

Bleh.

Guitarmasterx7

Day Pig
Mar 16, 2009
I've been in a relationship with my best friend for 5 years. (As in, we were best friends even before we started dating.) I feel like that's the only situation I would ever be in a relationship though. I avoided them pretty heavily before we started dating, and to be honest the main reason I started dating her was because I wanted to give relationships an honest chance before writing them off completely. And hey, who better to do that with than your best friend? Happy to say it's going pretty damn well.

If you aren't in one, don't feel too bad. I'm in a relationship because I love the person I'm with, not because I want to be in a relationship. I feel like the reason why relationships fall apart so much is because people just go looking for a relationship first and worry about who that other person is later, which I think is pretty fundamentally backwards. It's almost like saying "I WANT TO SPEND MONEY!" and then finding a thing to buy.