Release Date Emerges For Borderlands 2's Tiny Tina DLC

DJ_DEnM

My brother answers too!
Dec 22, 2010
This hardly qualifies as news considering that this was announced the same day the image was leaked, followed by the official announcement with the release date and pricing back on May 6th. Nice try though.

J.d. Scott

Jun 10, 2011
toomuchnothing said:
J.d. Scott said:
Not to disparage your opinion, but why are you giving an opinion at all? Who encouraged you to editorialize? I've read two stories from you and neither would be what any reasonable person would call journalism. You aren't Yahtzee and this is not your column. Can you not present what should have been a 3-5 line blurb article without bias? More importantly, if you can't present a simple news story without ejaculating your impotent commentary all over it, why are you doing news story? Forget firing you - somebody should fire the news editor who decided The Escapist was suddenly a Gawker Media enterprise.
Tbh this problem isn't strictly limited to this writer as you can easily find other habitual offenders who can't decipher between a news article and an opinion piece. I do see your point and its kinda sad that more and more news articles are written more in the form of contributor columns. I guess when you don't actually do any research yourself and are just regurgitating/paraphrasing articles from organizations that actually do the legwork the need to try and stand out can be overwhelming.
I don't know if I see the problem in that. If you're stealing from ArsTechnica or GameInformer, that's fine. The Escapist isn't a news organization per se. The thing is, you can still present it for what it is - a news story, and then snark about it later. Jim Sterling is the grandmaster at that very thing. However, this guy couldn't even finish a solid factual sentence. In the other story I read, he couldn't even get the headline written. The funny thing is this is a minor story about a minor DLC for a game that's already well into the bargain bin.

Devin Barker

Aug 10, 2012
The problem is you decided to put out an opinion that was not necessary. You were not doing a review you were giving information. Then you felt a need to insult the audience/game you were reporting to/about. Then you try to play the whole thing off by being smug. Its a d-bag move and you should give credit where credit is due and apologies for it.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
I assumed the news writer was kidding around (or maybe it was an attempt at humor that fell flat on its face) with his opinion but after that second post in this thread, I'm not so sure...

Anyway, I'm wicked excited about this. I adore the "childish" humor of Borderlands and Tiny Tina had some of the funniest material with her tea party :D

I am cautiously optimistic about this and will await with giddy anticipation for Tiny Tina's DMing abilities.

[REDACTED]

Apr 30, 2012
The author reminds me of that early christian sect that would go around hitting people with sticks, in the hope that someone would get angry enough to "martyr" them.

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
I've never played Borderlands 2 but, does the writing really rely "very heavily on memes and other forms of lazy internet humor"?

Voulan

Jul 18, 2011
IceForce said:
I've never played Borderlands 2 but, does the writing really rely "very heavily on memes and other forms of lazy internet humor"?
It only uses memes and references to popular (or sometimes obscure) films, TV shows, books and other games with some of the optional challenges and trophies/achievements, the names of some quests and skills and the occasional unique weapon. Otherwise, its actual story has nothing to do with it. After all, Handsome Jack was phenomenally written as a villain. And the memes it does use are usually accompanied with a pun, rather than an outright copy of internet humour - for example, a challenge called "You NOmad bro?" refers to killing enemies called Nomads. So it does use them, but the actual in-game humour and storyline don't involve them at all.

Earnest Cavalli said:
Hey! I was right! Backlash against unpopular opinions! Thanks for not letting me down.
Well, you did insult a fan base during a news report where it was completely unnecessary, and then wrote a slightly less obnoxious version of "Come at me bro!" to end the whole article. I would have been fine if it was limited to the article as a bit of humour prodding, but your comment here is completely unnecessary. Of course fans are going to read a news article about a new DLC for the game they're interested in, why would they share the same opinion of not liking the game and bother reading it? I wouldn't be gratified or feel clever, if I were you.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Wow.

I mean really? How could you possibly think that it's okay to write garbage like that when you're a professional journalist?

Why do we have to sift through a bunch of crap to find the pertinent information? Oh, and given how only one person seems to be with you on this and several of these people don't even like the game, I'd hardly say they're bashing you for going against popular opinion.

Mirrorknight

Jul 23, 2009
Earnest Cavalli said:
Hey! I was right! Backlash against unpopular opinions! Thanks for not letting me down.

Y'all got me on the playable character thing though. I obviously wasn't hopped up on enough caffeine when I initially penned this piece. Those bits have since been fixed.
Oh, my post wasn't backlash because you have an unpopular opinion. You don't like Borderlands? Fine. I can totally understand why it wouldn't appeal to some folks. Like I said, I think the game is merely ok, myself.

However, you are writing a news article about the release date of the new DLC. Leave your personal opinions at the door, and report it (which you failed to do). This is what most of the backlash is about. Leave wrapping facts in whatever flavor of opinion a network dictates for the real news networks/websites.

Kaiser6012

Mar 10, 2010
NameIsRobertPaulson said:
IceForce said:
Not really, Cavelli is just the worst writer on the staff, that's all.
...Heh heh. I have a bottle of brown fizzy drink beside me (not beer, a kind of lemonade) and I just couldn't resist - I read the post aloud and took a swig at the end a la any tired, emotionally deadened worker saying something irrepressably witty.

It felt so right. All that deadpan snark made the swig just... Mmm.

OT: I must be lax in my DLC updates. I didn't know this was out. Still, both I and my bro will be happy about this piece of news.
That being said, yeah... didn't really feel journalistic there. A brief summary of the financial situation might've been good for more meat on the report's bones - I'd be interested to find out how Take Two's been going separate to Gearbox, rather than hear about your suicidal imaginations or your distaste for certain forms of humor.
Just my two cents.

Panzervaughn

Jul 19, 2009
NameIsRobertPaulson said:
As a professional journalist, everything you write makes me die a little inside.

There is attempting to be funny, and then there is insulting people for their tastes.

It's called yellow journalism, look it up before you write another article.
AAAAnd kiss eachother.

chikusho

Jun 14, 2011
Earnest Cavalli said:
Yes... It's the _opinion_ that gets a backlash..

Hey, perhaps it's because of Earnest's reading comprehension that this news is 12 days late?

Tenlaius

Nov 25, 2009
Earnest Cavalli said:

Y'all got me on the playable character thing though. I obviously wasn't hopped up on enough caffeine when I initially penned this piece. Those bits have since been fixed.
dear sir, i do think April Fool's Day has already passed. That aside...

It may already be clear, if you read the other posts, that the biggest issue, is not your insulting of a given fan-group, but more the way you wrote the article. This is quite possibly, the first Escapist Article I read, where the 'journalist' in this case, more or less insulted the game, the fan-base, then the readers, all in one go.

Everyone is indeed entitled to their own opinion, but usually, in the media..last I checked, the ability to just report on the news at hand..tends to be a key/crucial skill.
That, and making sure their report, isn't on something that was already covered, in the past, by the same group they contribute to.
In better detail mind you >>

Now, if you made this, just to tick some people off..kudos, ya did it in a good yet risky way, i'll give ya that much.
However if this was a actual article..well, i think the other posters already covered the general thoughts on that :3

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
Earnest Cavalli said:
It's less to do with you having an unpopular opinion and more to do with using a tenuous bit of information as an excuse to badmouth a game you dont like and insult all its fans. If you don't like the game that's fine but you not liking it isn't news. I suggest you write an opinion piece if you feel so strongly about it.