Relic Details Company of Heroes 2 Pre-Order Bonuses

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
jackdaniel0001 said:
Therumancer said:
While a much lesser issue I also get a censorship vibe from this. I notice a tendency to say "Germans" instead of "Nazis" here, in terms of things like "German Hat". This makes me wonder if the point is that they plan to remove all the Swatstikas and Nazi emblems from everything to "avoid offense" despite the fact that your you know... dealing with the Nazis/wearing Nazi uniform pieces/whatever. I mostly thought of it because I remember they did something similar with the Lego Indiana Jones games, which inspired some serious "WTF" responses from me and a few others.

Not to mention that while I'm not the biggest fan of Germany in general, I'd actually find it more offensive to say "German" rather than referancing a specific party that happened to control the overwhelming majority of Germany during a specific time period, and which no longer exists, at least as a major force. It's an odd distinction to think of for many people I suppose, but there you go. Honestly I probably only thought of it because of the discussion of Lucasarts recently and the Indiana Jones liscence, etc... but I did think of it, and now I can't help but wonder.

At any rate, this is a game I'll probably be passing on, even if it otherwise looks great in the long run. Far more because of the microtransactions that my other pondering.
In Germany, having Nazi symbols showing up is illegal, it would probably be easier to design the the whole game around this restriction rather than releasing a separate version just for Germany.
IMO they just shouldn't release it in Germany then. The Nazis were who was being fought in World War II. I find the idea of having a World War II game and removing the Nazi symbols and such kind of stupid, and defeating of the purpose of having a period game.

It's sort of like doing a game about the US Civil War but removing all images of the Confederate flag.

My initial thought was actually more along the lines of it being the TF2 hats and Valve deciding to do it so there wouldn't be images of TF2 characters running around with Swatstikas for screenshots and such. A general "german hat" (whatever the heck that means) as opposed to a Nazi hat being a way of doing a promotion for the game while sidestepping that issue. Of course I kind of wonder what's the point of having a German hat promoting a World War II game otherwise. Of course it seems that in general they are sidestepping saying "Nazi" at all there which I find kind of disturbing on a lot of levels. Trying to pretend the Nazis didn't exist is really kind of a bad idea on so many levels.

That said that was a secondary point even if I wrote more about it, the bit that really galled me was the "Premium Currency" as a pre-order benefit for a RTS. As bad as I thought or not, I pretty much stand to my comments (in regards to Dead Space 3 for example) when it comes to single player games, the industry can basically blow right off with that (mentally replace "blow" with something more extreme, I'm trying to avoid swearing... it lacks grace so to speak). Time will tell what the situation turns out to be though.... and understand this is coming from someone who has grudgingly paid (and quite a bit) for MMO currencies in the past, I don't want to see this kind of monetization seep into single player games as well, gaming is a crazy expensive hobby as it is, and this is just getting ridiculous.

jackdaniel0001

Jun 8, 2011
@Therumancer

Well, this article is the 1st time heard anything on premium currency, I haven't followed the development very closely. I'd always assumed that the different color skins for tanks would be DLC contents. I hope what you say isn't true, I had enough trouble playing COH with its server issues; while I don't care about those MMO micro stores, I do see them as another thing that could drag the servers down and break the game. More features adds to more stability issues, that's how i see the problem.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Therumancer said:
jackdaniel0001 said:
Therumancer said:
While a much lesser issue I also get a censorship vibe from this. I notice a tendency to say "Germans" instead of "Nazis" here, in terms of things like "German Hat". This makes me wonder if the point is that they plan to remove all the Swatstikas and Nazi emblems from everything to "avoid offense" despite the fact that your you know... dealing with the Nazis/wearing Nazi uniform pieces/whatever. I mostly thought of it because I remember they did something similar with the Lego Indiana Jones games, which inspired some serious "WTF" responses from me and a few others.

Not to mention that while I'm not the biggest fan of Germany in general, I'd actually find it more offensive to say "German" rather than referancing a specific party that happened to control the overwhelming majority of Germany during a specific time period, and which no longer exists, at least as a major force. It's an odd distinction to think of for many people I suppose, but there you go. Honestly I probably only thought of it because of the discussion of Lucasarts recently and the Indiana Jones liscence, etc... but I did think of it, and now I can't help but wonder.

At any rate, this is a game I'll probably be passing on, even if it otherwise looks great in the long run. Far more because of the microtransactions that my other pondering.
In Germany, having Nazi symbols showing up is illegal, it would probably be easier to design the the whole game around this restriction rather than releasing a separate version just for Germany.
IMO they just shouldn't release it in Germany then. The Nazis were who was being fought in World War II. I find the idea of having a World War II game and removing the Nazi symbols and such kind of stupid, and defeating of the purpose of having a period game.
They get "around" this by simply using the Balkenkreuz instead of the Swastika.

The Balkenkreuz was a more widely used symbol in the Wehrmacht anyways, and is more historically accurate than slapping swastikas on everything. Just because that's how American WW2 movies portray the Germans that time period does not make it real.

Dryk

Dec 4, 2011
I was excited for Company of Heroes 2 until I saw the exp boosts. Then I saw a post on NeoGAF about how it's okay! Because progression just gets you new doctrines and LoL style 2% boosts to units that you can only have three of! Then my excitement dropped to zero.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Dryk said:
I was excited for Company of Heroes 2 until I saw the exp boosts. Then I saw a post on NeoGAF about how it's okay! Because progression just gets you new doctrines and LoL style 2% boosts to units that you can only have three of! Then my excitement dropped to zero.
agreed, it's really a shame :(
If it was free to play, like COHO (which wasn't very good) then I wouldn't care... but it's not free to play.

csoloist

Mar 27, 2009
mad825 said:
Who's going to be dumb enough to buy that? wait! Suspect many escapists will even though it seems to be a carbon copy of the original.
We can only hope. If it *IS* like the original, I'll totally buy that shit - CoH was awesome.

This "Premium Currency", "XP Boost" and "Unit Boost" business kinda has me worried though. :/