Relic Says RTS Not A Good Fit For Consoles

Relics

Aug 26, 2008
I agree with the Relic Company. RTS is not made for the console. The only and propaly way to play an RTS - game is on the computer!

Anton P. Nym

Sep 18, 2007
Relics post=7.69746.671521 said:
I agree with the Relic Company. RTS is not made for the console. The only and propaly way to play an RTS - game is on the computer!
Eleven years ago everyone was saying the same about FPSes, and then Rare proved them wrong [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GoldenEye_007]. I'd be careful about making those predictions.

-- Steve

ElArabDeMagnifico

Dec 20, 2007
Ya know, I heard Creative Assembly is making a console specific RTS with a bunch of robots and shit.

THESE ARE THE GUYS WHO MAKE TOTAL WAR! They aren't going to port Empire Total War to consoles, they'll make a separate console specific game.

Obviously they took Relic's advice, Sid Meier's, Ensemble's, etc.

dukethepcdr

May 9, 2008
The controller isn't the only reason. I've tried Battle for Middle Earth II and Universe at War on the Xbox 360. The frame rates got so choppy that I lost farms and cities before I could get to them. I lost track of my soldiers and couldn't get them to where they needed to be in time because scrolling the map was like a slide show. If they are going to keep porting RTS games to consoles, they need to either tame down the graphics from the get go or better yet, let players decide for themselves in a menu what graphics settings to turn down. I for one can play an RTS very well without shadows or particle effects or realistic water. It made my "next gen" console look like my wife's computer did before I disabled the onboard video card and upgraded her to an nVidia 8800. Other 3-D games play smoothly on my Xbox, what gives with these RTS games?

dukethepcdr

May 9, 2008
The little Nintendo DS on the other hand, works great for RTS and TTS (turn based)games. I play Warhammer just fine on the DS. It's pretty fun. The Lord of the Rings TTS game for the Gameboy Advance is too. Hey Nintendo, more turn based strategy games for the DS please!

bob-o

Aug 28, 2008
Relic wouldn't know how to make a console game more than they'd know how to dig a ditch. They'd take 2 years to figure out they needed a shovel rather than spoons. The dirt hole would cost 13 million dollars, be 3 feet wide, of varied terrain, 2 inches deep, and be surrounded by an array of underutilized talent.

Let's face it real-time strategy games can go anywhere, it just takes the right people to make them.

RTS is DEAD at Relic. Sad, but true.

KSarty

Aug 5, 2008
bob-o post=7.69746.673294 said:
Relic wouldn't know how to make a console game more than they'd know how to dig a ditch. They'd take 2 years to figure out they needed a shovel rather than spoons. The dirt hole would cost 13 million dollars, be 3 feet wide, of varied terrain, 2 inches deep, and be surrounded by an array of underutilized talent.

Let's face it real-time strategy games can go anywhere, it just takes the right people to make them.

What are you smoking? Company of Heroes is one of the best, most realistic, in depth RTS games ever made, and you're talking about the people responsible for Homeworld and Dawn of War. They know what they are doing when it comes to RTS. And they're not talking about making console games, they're talking about porting their PC games to a console.

ElArabDeMagnifico

Dec 20, 2007
dukethepcdr post=7.69746.673246 said:
what gives with these RTS games?
The sheer scale of them, it's why the maps are small and the unit cap is low, because too much going on makes the 360 RROD.

Yet, controls are a perfect "scapegoat" as well, gets less angry letters saying "OMFG YOU SUCK AT OPTIMIZATION!"

I can't believe Christ Taylor even thought putting supreme commander on 360 was a good idea.

RetiarySword

Apr 27, 2008
True, RTS is horrible on pads. Every RTS I've played on consle and PC has always been better on PC, and a complete waste of time on consle! This is not including Command and Conquer Red Alert - Retaliation, as you could get a playstation mouse what rocked.

RetiarySword

Apr 27, 2008
bob-o post=7.69746.673294 said:

What the hell!? Have you ever played company of heroes!? That IS the best RTS going! I don't think relic has ever let me down in any of their games! I have only played a few, probably as I didn't know they existed until the opening sequence of company of heroes, but still!

Arcadia2000

Mar 3, 2008
While I agree that RTS blows on consoles, I do think it would be possible to make a decent one for the Wii. I think some of the gameplay mechanics would have to be retooled (i.e. current RTS incarnations would be unhappy ports - start from the ground up), and it might be best in the long run to consider developing (yet another) doo-dad add-on to clip into the Wiimote. But buying doo-dads for me is unfulfilling so far, and it's going to be a tough sell unless you practically give it away in the box. Besides the 'chuck and the controller clippies, there hasn't been a single new doo-dad for the Wii that I think is worth the money. (I don't have the WiiFit yet, it might be that the board is as nifty as they say.) So if one was to combine ideas - have a control wheel AND a new add-on that would act in place of a keyboard - then RTS might be a viable option. Also, while the buttons on the Wiimote are nowhere near as complex as keyboard options, the amount of fiddling one *can* do with all those buttons is staggering.
A, B, 1, 2, U, D, L, R, +, -
cOmbOs!
A:B, A:1, A:2, A:U, A:D, A:L, A:R, A:+, A:-
B:1, B:2, B:U, B:D, B:L, B:R, B:+, B:-
1:2, 1:U, 1:D, 1:L, 1:R, 1:+, 1:-
2:U, 2:D, 2:L, 2:R, 2:+, 2:-
U:+, U:-, D:+, D:-, L:+, L:-, R:+, R:-
+:-

If I counted correctly, that's already 49 different control options. Even the 'chuck brings another control stick and two more buttons into play. Also, there be more ways than that to control a dude or group of dudes. Or dudette(s). Homies. Whatever.

Having a keyboard just makes all the controls easier to remember... well, if you're used to that kind of thing. I think the biggest sell Nintendo would have to face is making an add-on for the Wiimote more useful than *1* game... although plenty of 'tards (like me) are buying those silly steering wheel things. (They make it HARDER to drive! D8 )
(Nevermind that Mario-Wiikart cheats anyway... =P)

Relics

Aug 26, 2008
Yes they did. But I stay at my point of view, until some company proves that it's going to be possible to play RTS - game on the XBOX or PS3. Sorry for the bad grammar, it's beacuse I'm tired.