Religion in Video Games

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
what is your guys opinion about Religion in video games? Do you believe that developers should be able to put their own religion into their games or do you think they shouldnt be allowed to becuase it would stir controverous.

I mean,I am christian and I dont like the evolution theory and it was in the bio for Humans in ME2/1(I believe so) but yet I dont feel offended or anything, if thats what the creators think is the truth that is fine I dont care and the game series is still one of my favorite ever.

(I know that the evolution theory isnt really a religious thing, well kinda... but still can be kinda used as an example of peoples beliefs.)

delet

Nov 2, 2008
As long as they don't throw it in my face and say "YOU SHOULD BE THIS RELIGION OR YOU'RE GOING TO HELL!!!!ELEVEN!!" Then I'm fine.

On a related note, I loved the 'Jesus loves me' rhyme from Bioshock. I wish they had kept it in the second...

AlternatePFG

Jan 22, 2010
It's a touchy subject. It's harmless to some people, and offensive to others. That's why they usually try to avoid it.

I personally, don't care really.

Julianking93

May 16, 2009
As long as they aren't talking about how good a religion is, I don't care, though I do like it when they tell you how terrible religions are.

Flames66

Aug 22, 2009
I have no problem with religion being involved in games as long as the main character can choose not to be involved with it.

Aby_Z said:
As long as they don't throw it in my face and say "YOU SHOULD BE THIS RELIGION OR YOU'RE GOING TO HELL!!!!ELEVEN!!" Then I'm fine.

On a related note, I loved the 'Jesus loves me' rhyme from Bioshock. I wish they had kept it in the second...
What rhyme was that?

Scylla6

Nov 17, 2009
There's nothing wrong with some chanting monks or praying dudes. If I get to kill them. Teehee.

Killian Kalthorne

Dec 17, 2008
I think the best game that has handled Religious beliefs and views happens to be Dragon Age. The parallels of the Catholic Church, for the good and ill, is successfully mirrored.

delet

Nov 2, 2008
Flames66 said:
I have no problem with religion being involved in games as long as the main character can choose not to be involved with it.

Aby_Z said:

What rhyme was that?
I threw it into my original post :D

ReincarnatedFTP

Jun 13, 2009
Atheist. No problem with it.
Hell, I wouldn't even draw the boundaries at proselytizing. If you make a game good enough to convert someone to your worldview, then more power to you.

As long as it's not directly encouraging violence against people of other faiths or nonbelievers in the real world.
For example:
Game espousing radical religion, no calls to violence=Fine.
Any game that serves as a direct non-questionable call to action against nonbelievers and people of other faiths=Crossed the line.

thepopeofatheism

Jul 14, 2008
I think Xenogears took the most interesting look at religion.

If you know what I'm talking about, then you [b/]know[/b] what I'm talking about.

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009
Aby_Z said:

Exactly this.
I love it when people do it in a way that adds to the atmosphere of the game without making people feel that they are trying to force their religion on you.

In Golden Sun 1-2 many of the summons had Religious had basses.
and
especially jumped out at me as End Times Angel and Demon.

Wolfram23

Mar 23, 2004
I don't mind there being religion in games but only so long as it's not really in your face - unless it's really a part of the context of the game.

For instance Dead Space is very much about a religious cult and so it's all over the place, but it's entirely part of the story and so in that context it's good.

As for having principles or theories in a game that are against a certain belief, games have all kinds of silliness that goes against scientific principles too (as in, bad science/impossible things like the gravity gun of Half Life). At least Evolution (as an example) has plausible evidence to support it.

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
I never mind religious undertones and themes, though I usually detest religion in all its forms. I find that they often make for good storytelling. Just keep the religion in the background and everything is fine with me. I'm always up for a good theological discussion, but keep religious advertising out of my way (be it pro or con).

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Furburt said:
You don't believe in the evolution theory? Wow. Still, I respect your opinion, lets not debate about it here.

OP: Game developers are companies, so they'll try and please the largest amount of the audience they can, and since most of the western world is pretty secular (not atheist, but secular) it'll mostly be to that agenda, and religion won't play a part in it much.

Besides, we've all seen what horrible messes occur when religion gets heavily inserted into videogames. Let us not forget Left Behind.

[sub]Oh, what a terrible game that was...[/sub]
left behind?

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Video games are art, so religion isn't off limits at all. It's all opinions anyway.

Flames66

Aug 22, 2009
Aby_Z said:
Flames66 said:

Aby_Z said:

What rhyme was that?
Jesus loves me this I know,
For the Bible tells me so,
If he hollars let him go,
And bingo was his name-o!

:)

Coaxill

Dec 22, 2009
While evolution has nothing to do with religion I still see what you're saying. I would like it if the game developers had more religious (or as the case may be, anti-religious) tones or themes to a game because I believe it would allow them to put a bit more of themselves into a game so their work was more thoughtful and passionate.

delet

Nov 2, 2008
Flames66 said:
Aby_Z said:
Flames66 said:

Aby_Z said:

What rhyme was that?
Jesus loves me this I know,
For the Bible tells me so,
If he hollars let him go,
And bingo was his name-o!

:)
Congratulations sir, that was hilarious. Here, have a cookie

More Fun To Compute

Nov 18, 2008
As an atheist I don't really care if there are religious themes in media. In fact I like the odd Christian reference because I have had a Christian education. I wouldn't like it if it was heavy handed with moral messages about how you have to believe or not eat hot dogs on certain days of the week. If someone tried to sneak a creationist message in a game through the back door then I would get really angry and organize a public game burning ceremony. Or maybe not.