Religion or cult? What is the deciding factor?

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
I am non religious, I believe in myself and what i do with the beliefs my parents gave me growing up. Now what would you think of religion? What is religion? Now anything that helps a person deals with a problem or helps them better them self, i am fine with that. Religion is something personal. But i think Religion is something gives its lessons for free. A cult, i think, charges you for that knowledge.

So what do you think?

thesilentman

What this
Jun 14, 2012
Cults are smaller religious groups whereas religion is much larger in scale.

EDIT- I completely misunderstood the OP at first. It's edited to reflect my actual response.

lechat

Dec 5, 2012
should really go in the religion and politics section

i think it's about time we decided as a people that any religion created in the last 100 years is bullshit

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
To me they're are only different by some arbitrary designation, but otherwise are pretty much the same bloody thing.

Basement Cat

Keeping the Peace is Relaxing
Jul 26, 2012
lechat said:
should really go in the religion and politics section

i think it's about time we decided as a people that any religion created in the last 100 years is bullshit
That's a great idea!!! ~~~sarcasm alert~~~

Since the majority of those originated during the ancient stone, bronze, and iron ages when our understanding of the universe was minimal at best you're negating all possibility of advances amongst modern Humanistic religions?

For the record: Scientology isn't humanistic. I'm too polite to say what I think of it out of respect for the possibility that there may be adherents to it at the Escapist.

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
This is a hot button topic with a lot of people.

Going by the literal definition, a 'religion' is simply a 'cult' that has become large enough to achieve acceptance by the majority.

Unfortunately, in practice, it doesn't play out that way. The word 'cult' (and its equivalents) has all sorts of negative connotations, usually perpetuated by the major religion of the populace as an effort to keep their believers from jumping ship. With the quasi-recent advent of mass media and their focus on scandal, unfortunate events like the Jonestown incident furthered the negative connotations to the point where 'cult' has become a dirty word.

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
A religion is worship that is deemed acceptable.

A cult is something that is USUALLY deemed as shunned upon.

I am Catholic and I definitely don't feel that I am part of some cult.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
The only difference that I'm aware of is that cults serve better fruit punch.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Devon Dent said:
The only difference...tax exemption.
Right on the money there. Cults and religion isn't really any different. I see some define it from size, but there are small religions too and every religion started out that way. Approved by the government as a religion= Religion. Not approved = cult.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
size. Cult becomes a religion when enough people follow it. how much is enough changes from point of view a lot, but usually governments set certain boundaries for that.

The Code

Mar 9, 2010
In my experience, the word 'cult' has taken a very negative connotation, though it's not entirely undeserved. IMO, I think the difference between a cult and a religion is the principles that are taught. More mainstream religions are proponents of peace, tolerance, and understanding of your fellow man and the world around you. Cults, however, often preach much more malevolent and mostly just plain stupid ideals. With that being said, you could list Scientology as a cult (I know I do, but that's lust my opinion) along with the Islamic extremists. The actual Islamic religion doesn't preach "JIHAD!" or "DEATH TO THE INFIDELS!". Its ideals are really quite similar to Christianity in regards to peace and understanding, last I checked, anyway.

ClockworkUniverse

Nov 15, 2012
Well...it depends on what definition you're using. The modern, commonly-used meaning is "religion that is small, or weird, or that the speaker doesn't like."

The actual dictionary definition is a religion dedicated largely to venerating a specific person or object. Which, interestingly, would include many mainstream religions.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
Population and government recognition. These often go hand in hand.

Fundamentally? Nothing. Christianity was a cult once. I think they were fed to lions for sport, although that wasn't exactly a voluntary practice by its participants.

lechat said:
Now now, let's not be discriminatory.

lechat said:
i think it's about time we decided as a people that any religion created is bullshit
Much better.

CrimsonBlaze

Aug 29, 2011
A cult forces (emphasis on "forces") you to remodel your life towards the cult's creed and has you give up your individuality and voice, as well as cause you to do unspeakable things to prove your unwavering faith towards the cult and its leaders (i.e. live in their camp/facility or commit a mass suicide).

A religion allows for those to be exposed to the teachings and customs that are upheld by the religion, but still allows you to pursue your life any way that you see fit. It also does not restrain you from being an individual; I have known a priest who was very comical and always in high spirits, one that provided very insightful advice, and one that had a great sense of pacing so the mass felt like if flew by.

You just need to watch out for the religious nuts that believe that they are better than everyone else, including those in the same religion, because they believe that they are more devote and righteous than other followers.

CpT_x_Killsteal

Elite Member
Jun 21, 2012
Religion: Wears funny hats

Cult: Distinct lack of funny hats

That my friend is the only notable difference :p