Relive Star Wars Galaxies With This Massive Memory Book

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Relive Star Wars Galaxies With This Massive Memory Book

If you're still working through the various stages of grief over Star Wars Galaxies, perhaps this memory book from SOE can help you move on to acceptance.
Now that Star Wars Galaxies has been cut down by The Old Republic's lightsaber, millions of voices cried out and were subsequently silenced. However, Sony Online Entertainment has one final gift for anyone who misses the game: A digital book that documents the MMO's entire eight-year run.

The memory book was assembled by the game's staff, and wow it's beefy, containing a total of 253 pages, containing info and screenshots that showcases all eight years of the game. Basically, if you ever were curious about anything in the game, including planets, species, ships, cities, and the Galactic Civil War, it's all here. Even the final moments of the game are covered.

The book is pretty impressive to look at, and will undoubtedly be appreciated by former players who want to remember their galaxy-spanning adventures. The best thing about it, though, is that the PDF file is available for free.

Source: Massively

leviticusd

Mar 19, 2009
Sweet! I was named in this book! Former Munitions Senator LizzyD (UncleLizzy). For all it's flaws, it was the MMO I grew up on and it will be missed (by a few anyways). Now to get back to playing The Old Republic! :)

Ohlookit'sMatty

Sep 11, 2008
We were just talking about this at my gaming group on Tuesday // So of the guys played it& mentioned some of the very inventive things that where in the game // Makes me sad that I missed it so this will be a good read, thanks SOE

-M

TabionX

Oct 7, 2009
Personally, I thought the PDF was a huge disappointment. From joining a few months after launch, I played in the world where 32 professions and a hugely diverse system of play were completely normal. What the book fails to realize is all the things that happened BEFORE the NGE (which, if you ask any "Veteran", was the worst thing possible to happen to the game). It says "Remember The Professions" but really it only shows those from the NGE. Originally there were 32, and you could master every single one of them separately if you put the time in. The NGE was just a huge insult to all the players who had devoted time and effort into the game over it's pre-NGE lifespan. Before the NGE, Star Wars Galaxies was a game completely unique in itself. No game that has been released since has matched just how much you could do and achieve in SWG.

So yes, I found the SWGMB a rather large disappointment. But then again, it was probably only aimed at NGE players anyway. I wager a good 70% of the original active userbase left afer the change.

You guys can kinda guess that this is something I feel strongly about. Not to cause offence to anyone who liked NGE! It just wasn't a lot of players' cup of tea. Especially since it was just imposed on us all with less than a weeks notice. Instead of going off on a huge rant on why I hated the New Game Experience, I'll just end this forum post here. I think most people will get the gist of my rage over the NGE. Still, good on SOE to release something for people to remember the game by, It was great fun while it lasted.

Zack Alklazaris

Oct 6, 2011
TabionX said:
Personally, I thought the PDF was a huge disappointment. From joining a few months after launch, I played in the world where 32 professions and a hugely diverse system of play were completely normal. What the book fails to realize is all the things that happened BEFORE the NGE (which, if you ask any "Veteran", was the worst thing possible to happen to the game). It says "Remember The Professions" but really it only shows those from the NGE. Originally there were 32, and you could master every single one of them separately if you put the time in. The NGE was just a huge insult to all the players who had devoted time and effort into the game over it's pre-NGE lifespan. Before the NGE, Star Wars Galaxies was a game completely unique in itself. No game that has been released since has matched just how much you could do and achieve in SWG.

So yes, I found the SWGMB a rather large disappointment. But then again, it was probably only aimed at NGE players anyway. I wager a good 70% of the original active userbase left afer the change.

You guys can kinda guess that this is something I feel strongly about. Not to cause offence to anyone who liked NGE! It just wasn't a lot of players' cup of tea. Especially since it was just imposed on us all with less than a weeks notice. Instead of going off on a huge rant on why I hated the New Game Experience, I'll just end this forum post here. I think most people will get the gist of my rage over the NGE. Still, good on SOE to release something for people to remember the game by, It was great fun while it lasted.
Yea they screwed us over bad. I never in my entire life held a company before with such hatred. I refuse to ever buy anything from SOE again.

However, the book looks awesome, I wonder if other MMOs have done something similar in the past.

Darth_Dude

Jul 11, 2008
You know, I never played Galaxies, but it's still sad to see something that so many people put so much time into leave. I wonder if theres a copy of SW : Galaxies in SOE's office, so that maybe one day, it could be played again.

Also, Theres alot of good artwork in that pdf, I just took a bunch of screenshots and cropped out the useless stuff, but they make great wallpapers.

jedizero

Feb 26, 2009
Its strange they'd do it this long after the game died.

I still can remember it. They were talking about some sort of New Game Expansion, I was kind of excited about it coming out...

Then it was just gone.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
Should have just stored it in a jedi archive holocron, it would have been lighter and easier to read.