Remedy: Next-Gen is a "Quantum Leap"

-|-

Aug 28, 2010
Fucking toast my arse with a 4 bar heater, but there's a load of propeller headed pedantic nerds on here. The phrase is a well used metaphor for a step change in function or performance, you don't have to show how "clever" you are by pointing out it's true scientific meaning. Jeez.

OT: I hope he's right and we're not disappointed.

BloodRed Pixel

Jul 16, 2009
a 'quantum leap' as used as saying in everyday language does not refer to the distance the electron travels but to the suddeness of the change.

So in this case Remedy assumes that the NextGen Consoles, will trigger a 'sudden change' or 'unforseeable consequences' (hello, Half Life ;D ) in it's economic system and/ or cultural niche.
Wether this is a good saying or not is up to debate.

Braedan

Sep 14, 2010
-|- said:
Fucking toast my arse with a 4 bar heater, but there's a load of propeller headed pedantic nerds on here. The phrase is a well used metaphor for a step change in function or performance, you don't have to show how "clever" you are by pointing out it's true scientific meaning. Jeez.

OT: I hope he's right and we're not disappointed.
So saying things incorrectly is cool brah, and not sounding dumb is nerdy?

Well! I think I'll ride my feet under to the fridge, and cook some tea to eat.

OT: I'm much more excited about the increase in CPU and RAM freeing PCs from limitations from 5 years ago. Screw graphics, I just loaded Red Alert 2 up. I just wish the computer could put up a good fight.

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
soldierk3 said:
Why does no one understand that a "quantum leap" is not a significant measurement?

Quantum means "as small as physically possible"

A "quantum leap" in video game technology would make it completely unnoticeably better.

It DOES NOT mean huge, or large, or gigantic, or anything even remotely larger than things we cannot see with a microscope. It is a discrete, tiny tiny difference.

/end phyiscs rage
I was going to mention this in the article, but it's actually a completely legitimate use of the phrase. [http://www.thefreedictionary.com/quantum+leap]

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Winthrop said:
Quantum means small. He just unintentionally insulted the next generation. It is cool that it is a big difference though, assuming that is what he meant.
He's just using an overused buzzword devoid of meaning or context.

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
octafish said:
People get so hung up on the next generation of consoles being all about graphic fidelity when they should be looking forward to the massive increase in RAM that is going open up gaming possibilities, especially in AI.
Not to mention maps that are larger than a toilet cubicle without constant loading issues.

Sis

Apr 2, 2012
He might have made a mistake, but you know what ... He's probably gonna be right. It's gonna be a small step forward the next generation.

lapan

Jan 23, 2009
Well, this genration lasted a long time, so the overall power of the consoles is probably gonna be much higher. However graphical differences won't be as noticeable.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Either definition one goes with Oskari is still wrong, things will get better but not by much(doubt they will even be on par with high end PCs), but at least we can break away from 30 FPS locked games.

This Alan Wake team is a really strange one, they seem to be bonkers over consoles and yet they self funded a PC port that was miles better and packed full of content, some strange Jekyll and Hyde thing going on.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Quantum = infinitesimally small

Leap = jump

So Remedy is saying it's an "infinitesimally small jump"

They might mean "paradigm shift", but one thing quantum most definitely not is is significantly large step, it's a term for the smallest things something could possibly be.

lapan

Jan 23, 2009
Hammeroj said:
lapan said:
Well, this genration lasted a long time, so the overall power of the consoles is probably gonna be much higher. However graphical differences won't be as noticeable.
From 5 meters away, they probably won't be.
If you have a side to side comparisson you will surely find lots of differences. With the naked eye and no comparisson it's a different story. Of course it will also depend on the games you are comparing.

I myself am quite content with the average graphics you get nowadays.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Grey Carter said:
soldierk3 said:
Why does no one understand that a "quantum leap" is not a significant measurement?

Quantum means "as small as physically possible"

A "quantum leap" in video game technology would make it completely unnoticeably better.

It DOES NOT mean huge, or large, or gigantic, or anything even remotely larger than things we cannot see with a microscope. It is a discrete, tiny tiny difference.

/end phyiscs rage
I was going to mention this in the article, but it's actually a completely legitimate use of the phrase. [http://www.thefreedictionary.com/quantum+leap]
Frequent misuse it not good, because then the word "Quantum" would then simultaneously means "very large" and "very small".

Quantum physics, which has a lot more too it than this singular oft-used phrase, will be left worse off if they have to constantly explain to laymen who think "Oh, quantum physics, like quantum leap, looking at big changes" and this is a fucking problem having to OVER AND OVER AGAIN explain that things like quantum teleportation cannot be simply translated to the macro scale.

The show "Quantum Leap" made no insinuation that quantum made a "large leap" but merely that knowledge of atoms at the quantum level allowed this time travel.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
RhombusHatesYou said:
octafish said:
People get so hung up on the next generation of consoles being all about graphic fidelity when they should be looking forward to the massive increase in RAM that is going open up gaming possibilities, especially in AI.
Not to mention maps that are larger than a toilet cubicle without constant loading issues.
Quite so. I wasn't going to mention maps because for singleplayer games the limiting factor won't be hardware. It will remain the limitation of developers who need to funnel players through corridors so the next cutscene can happen. Still, bigger maps and more players is where I like my multi-player to be. Maybe I'll get games outside of BF, Planetside, and Tribes that address this next gen.

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
Wait... Death Rally was re-released?! I did not know this.

*runs off to buy a copy*

-|-

Aug 28, 2010
Braedan said:
So saying things incorrectly is cool brah, and not sounding dumb is nerdy?

Well! I think I'll ride my feet under to the fridge, and cook some tea to eat.

OT: I'm much more excited about the increase in CPU and RAM freeing PCs from limitations from 5 years ago. Screw graphics, I just loaded Red Alert 2 up. I just wish the computer could put up a good fight.
It's only incorrect if you take everything literally - which is a tiny bit nerdy. Figurative language is an actual thing that I assume you've heard of.

OT: What I want from the next gen is consistent frame, and much reduced loading times. While we might get the former I expect the latter will be worse... sigh