Remedy Releases Alan Wake: Building the Thriller Video

Virgil

#virgil { display:none; }
Legacy
Jun 13, 2002
I'm still looking forward to playing this game, but it's kind of silly saying how it's the most anticipated game of 2010. It's already been one of the "most anticipated games" of 2009, 2008, 2007 ...

I have it pre-ordered, but I have a feeling that 3D Dot Game Heroes is going to get to me first.

soulmonarch said:
Awwww... I was totally expecting zombies dancing to Michael Jackson music. ><
I wasn't expecting it, but I was still hoping for it.

Treblaine said:
It's a first party game, releasing the game for PC is MONEY IN THE BANK....
Probably because PC games typically don't sell even close to what console games sell these days, despite how vocal PC gamers can be online. It's also far more expensive to release a PC version than a console version of the same game, simply because of all the different possible system configurations you need to deal with. That means higher development, Q/A, and support costs.

Microsoft is a business, and they have people that have access to these numbers, and can do the math for them - and I'm betting that the math says that focusing those development resources on releasing DLC "episodes" for the console version will earn them a lot more than releasing a PC version. The other possible option is that they have numbers that say it will take Remedy another 5 years to get the game running on a PC at the current development rate, and they're probably getting kind of tired of paying them.

Maybe there will be a PC release some time in the future, like Halo or Fable, but I wouldn't expect it until after the console version has run its course.

Vern

Sep 19, 2008
The video gave me an extreme feeling of Alone in the Dark. Graphics and gameplay ideas look very similar, so I just hope it doesn't end up as a game full of great ideas that fell embarrassingly short. However even if it's everything the video promises, it still looks like a pretty run of the mill game. Run around in third person and kill things, but this time you have to shine a flashlight on them before hand.

mooseodeath

Jan 26, 2010
except it appears most of the enemies are the environment and thus can't be killed. fixing the largest problem with guns+survival horror in a potentially fun way. you just know there will be sections where that torch refuses to work properly and your sprinting from light source to light source.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Virgil said:
(1)Probably because PC games typically don't sell even close to what console games sell these days, despite how vocal PC gamers can be online.

(2)It's also far more expensive to release a PC version than a console version of the same game, simply because of all the different possible system configurations you need to deal with. That means higher development, Q/A, and support costs.

(Microsoft is a business, and they have people that have access to these numbers, and can do the math for them - and I'm betting that the math says that focusing those development resources on releasing DLC "episodes" for the console version will earn them a lot more than releasing a PC version.)

(3)The other possible option is that they have numbers that say it will take Remedy another 5 years to get the game running on a PC at the current development rate, and they're probably getting kind of tired of paying them.

(4)Maybe there will be a PC release some time in the future, like Halo or Fable, but I wouldn't expect it until after the console version has run its course.
(1)do you have source to back that up? the overwhelming majority of PC game sales have been direct-downloads through Steam, Direct-Download and so on, and NPD does not cover those. In fact because NPD and other industry analysts can't access those sales figures (they have no right to, it is not technically retail) they have given up tracking PC sales at all.
Also my point: "money in the bank" they will still earn more with a few sales on PC compared to not releasing it at all.

(2)You clearly have severe misunderstanding about PC development, developing on PC and porting to PC is FAR FAR easier than on any console.
See there is VERY LITTLE customisation you have to make for each graphics card/CPU the industry uses design standards. Sure some cpus or graphics cards may do the same thing MUCH FASTER, or may follow the protocol in different way

Now developing for consoles, THAT is hard. You know the Xbox 360 has only 512MB of memory to be shared BETWEEN the system memory AND the video memory? That is a nightmare to work with, the have to be so careful what you add in without overloading. Sure, you may be working on "only one SKU" but that SKU is really really weak. Even the PS3 is cripplingly weak compared to even the most modestly priced gaming PCs.

(3)Another 5 years? What the hell? Just because it took 5 years to Develop Alan Wake?

Look, the reason Alan Wake has taken so long is because of the console side of development. they developed Max Payne and Max Payne 2 for PC and went from design to gold within 2 years for each (they only worked on the PC version console ports were handled by other companies) showing their technical capability with PC game development and they did it cheap.

But PC developers ALWAYS struggle when moving to console development, because although an Xbox 360 is PC-like, it is still VERY low power yet high performance is expected of it. So one has to spend years trying to squeeze it all in, chopping and cropping and fine tuning it to get the performance that comes naturally to PC to appear on console.

Veteran console developers like Bungie even have to resort to Sub-HD (640p) graphics just to get games like halo 3 running at any where near stable framerates. And when did 30fps become standard? The early console platformers like Megaman and Mario Bros. were all 60fps as standard, same for all PC games.

In fact, just read what Remedy have to say:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/99631-Alan-Wake-for-PC-is-Still-on-Remedys-Hard-Drives

yes, the PC version ALREADY exists on the hard drives of Remedy HQ. Alan Wake has always been co-developed on Xbox 360 and PC.

I'm sorry but I don't see this as anything other than Microsoft's meddling and bullshit power-plays. They seem to have completely lost perspective and resorted to this ridiculous fanboy pandering of making games 360 exclusive.

(4) I really do hope you are right, but I am just worried that Microsoft will be spiteful about this, they really do have everyone by the balls here, they own the rights to EVERYTHING Remedy made. They may just completely can the PC version only to be able to keep saying "Only on Xbox 360" which would be a damning indictment and I think the last thing Remedy wants.

After all, they signed up with MS to make a 360 AND a Direct-X 10 Windows version, I hope there is a clause in their contract that means Microsoft can't permanently delay the release and this is just a matter of prioritising release schedules.

But why do I want a PC version? Even when I have an Xbox 360? Because I know that PC is BEST for the consumer, it offers the most flexibility, capability and immersion, because at the end of the day it is about what is best for the consumers, even though corporations would prefer the locked-down Home Console model