Remember Me Developer Doesn't Want A Super-Heroine

Jaebird

Aug 19, 2008
plugav said:
"We didn't want to sexualise her, so we made her look like a supermodel in skin-tight clothes." Eh, whatever.
I was thinking the same thing. Seriously, her ass in that screenshot completely contradicts this person's reasoning.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Am... am I in bizarro world?!

This protagonist seems to hit every note of the "overly sexy, very thin, perfect face with no flaws" code. I'm not seeing the casual angle here, and coming from me that's saying something.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
I like the look of the character what ever. And I like the look of the world. It's the combat sections I'm incredibly worried about

Hagi

Apr 10, 2011
I'm sorry... You were saying something?

I was kinda too busy staring at

Nothing wrong with that of course, but it isn't exactly casual.

Finding jeans that fit like that is anything but casual. Lord knows I've tried, but none of them make my ass come out just right. Those jeans right there are the labor of months of intensive clothes-shopping. And to think that after all that time she's forgotten the place she got those amazing jeans, no wonder she won't stop at anything to get those memories back.

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
I think people are a bit over reacting here with "she's exactly like other over sexualized women". Really? You are going to compare her to Lara Croft, Any woman ever from a fighting game (think Soul Calibur and DOA), Bayonetta and heck even Miranda from ME2, skin tight jump suit that perfectly sculpts the ass anyone?

I mean the ass is middle of the road nice. She has a little Desmond scar on the lip. The breasts are actual breasts not pumped up beachballs. If I had to compare her to anyone I'd say she's allot like Jade from Beyond G&E. Certainly not a bad looker, but just regularly sexualized.

(Yes that pair of jeans does hug that ass like it owes it money)

Goliath100

Sep 29, 2009
The only thing flawed with that design is that she has no flaws.
Wenseph said:
I think she's still pretty sexualized and hot.

Isn't this the box art, for example?

In their defense, she has a "thing" in her neck that they wanted to showcase. And an arm I bet is her main weapon. It is the best pose for showing those two things, but yeah they could have zoomed in so her ass wasn't showing.

Daaaah Whoosh

Jun 23, 2010
When talking about not oversexualizing the female characters in video games, I wonder why no one ever talks about Faith from Mirror's Edge. I was in no way sexually attracted to her, but I was invested in her character, and felt that she was a reasonably realistic person, except for the part where she walks on walls. I don't think it was that Faith was unattractive, but that she wasn't there to draw the attention of hormone-ridden boys.

This Nilin seems to be sort of a compromise, with clothes that make her look sexy, but not in an over-the-top kind of way. She still looks hot, but she's not shoving her cleavage in your face or exposing unnecessary amounts of skin. Which makes me think that the people quoted in this article have not been playing the right games.

mattaui

Oct 16, 2008
She's an attractive woman in tight jeans. I see this every day. Maybe it's just Dallas?

Now it almost seems like any hint of attractiveness or sexuality starts throwing red flags for people, and you get into discussions about dissecting an image to see just what might be construed as too titillating or enticing. We've moved from the critique of rank objectification and exploitation to where a pretty face and tight jeans might be just 'too much'.

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
Eclipse Dragon said:
These people are out of touch with reality if they think that's what a "normal" person looks like. She looks like she wears a size zero. Now I know some ladies who wear a size zero, but most don't.

That being said, it could have been worse and video games aren't the only media with this problem, and maybe not so many people would buy a game with a protagonist who's 5'3 and 130 pounds, so I suppose it's a step in the right direction. We'll have to see how her characterization goes.

I personally would find it interesting to play a protagonist who was shorter than everyone else around her.
As someone who is also on the short side, I also would find it neat to play as someone at least as short as I am (5'7").
But only if I get to kick the person who makes the 50th short joke, in the face.

:) It's only fair I think.

sethisjimmy

May 22, 2009
I think if their goal was to not make another generic skinny, sexy, perfect faced character,they have completely failed in pretty much every way.

Personally I don't think there's anything wrong with sexualized characters, for example with Bayonetta, it was clearly a design choice for her to be way over the top in all aspects.

But it's an entirely different thing to make a completely generic female character while criticizing the industry for having generic female characters. They're giant hypocrites.

kailus13

Soon
Mar 3, 2013
Goliath100 said:
The only thing flawed with that design is that she has no flaws.
Wenseph said:
I think she's still pretty sexualized and hot.

Isn't this the box art, for example?

In their defense, she has a "thing" in her neck that they wanted to showcase. And an arm I bet is her main weapon. It is the best pose for showing those two things, but yeah they could have zoomed in so her ass wasn't showing.
Her arm is striking and eye-catching, but depending on how the image loads her ass can be the first thing you see, as in my case.

Norrdicus

Feb 27, 2012
Goliath100 said:
In their defense, she has a "thing" in her neck that they wanted to showcase.
That doesn't really work at all though, it emits bright light next to white leather and white holograms with orange background. I didn't even notice it before you mentioned the thing

Darks63

Mar 8, 2010
Dev says he wants to not oversexalized character and then spends as much time if not more lovingly rendering her the ass the same way Arkham City did with Catwoman's ass.