Remember Me Trailer Deletes The Bad and Replicates the Good

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Remember Me Trailer Deletes The Bad and Replicates the Good

The live-action trailer serves as a sort of prologue for the game, which is due out later this week.

"What if we could change, upgrade memory?" asks Antoine, a character in Capcom's upcoming sci-fi action game Remember Me. Antoine is the founder of Memorize, an agency that can alter and erase a person's memory. "Delete the bad, and replicate the good," he continues. The new live-action trailer offers a reflective and somber look into the final thoughts of Antoine, and shows Nilin, the game's main character, being taken to the Bastille where she will wake at the beginning of the game. It serves as a kind of prologue to the game, which is out on June 4 in North America, and June 7 in Europe.

The trailer offers some explanation into how the dsytopian world of Remember Me got so dystopian in the first place. Sci-fi's about memory alteration aren't an altogether new genre, but Remember Me looks to expand on it by giving Nilin the ability to pull some cool gameplay tricks by altering a person's memories [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/123712-Remember-Mes-Nilin-Shows-How-Memories-Get-Molded] in real time.

The character of Nilin herself was developed in the face of much adversity. At first, developer Dontnod Studios had to fight tooth and nail to keep her as a female, when publishers "super-heroine" [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/122787-Prospective-Publishers-Wanted-a-Male-Centric-Remember-Me], with the developer stating that they wanted Nilin to feel "real," and shied away from the "sexy" route.

Remember Me will be available on the PC, PS3 and Xbox 360.

Tar Palantir

Jan 16, 2012
Is it just me or the trailer is a neverending line of nonsense pretending to be something deep?

bafrali

Mar 6, 2012
Live action trailers for games are so wasteful and pointless. Rather than wasting your money with a studio with no idea of the source material, they should have just in game assets.

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
Desert Punk said:
And I have to call bullshit on this line
the developer stating that they wanted Nilin to feel "real," and shied away from the "sexy" route.
when their box art is all about...

Dat ass!
Give credit where credit is due! They're not trying to show both ass and tits at the same time! [/MaybeSerious]

Oh, and I don't think the developers are actually in charge of the cover art. They rarely are.

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
Tar Palantir said:
Is it just me or the trailer is a neverending line of nonsense pretending to be something deep?
Seems pretty straightforward to me.

Someone thought he could create a utopia by letting people take away their bad memories and make themselves happier/better people. The technology was abused and created a dystopian society instead, and he's leaving a final message for "the next generation" before erasing the memory of his failure.

SachielOne

Former Escapecraft Op
Aug 10, 2009
The release date in the article is a month ahead of the actual release date. June, not July.

llubtoille

Apr 12, 2010
JediMB said:
Desert Punk said:
the developer stating that they wanted Nilin to feel "real," and shied away from the "sexy" route.

Dat ass!
Give credit where credit is due! They're not trying to show both ass and tits at the same time! [/MaybeSerious]

Oh, and I don't think the developers are actually in charge of the cover art. They rarely are.

Hahah Battle-Bunny Riven comes to mind, anatomically awkward? psh.

That said, the few reviews I've heard for the game haven't exactly been positive, so I'd shy away from pre-ordering at least.

FancyNick

Mar 4, 2013
To play the devil's advocate here, that box isn't really "sexy." Sure it kinda puts emphasis on her ass but I mean it's not really sexualized in any way. I am glad they took a more grounded appeal to their female character if anything. Still no idea what this game is about nor am I interested in it at the moment.

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
llubtoille said:
That said, the few reviews I've heard for the game haven't exactly been positive, so I'd shy away from pre-ordering at least.
It's too late for me. I pre-ordered from Green Man Gaming about a month ago.

So if it's a shitty game, I'm getting a shitty game. But if it's at least worth playing, I can find some comfort in that it was rather cheap with the 20% discount on the US price.

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
Desert Punk said:
JediMB said:
Desert Punk said:

Dat ass!

I recall the developers fighting to keep the female character in The Last of Us in a prominent place on their box art, so obviously devs, atleast some of them, have a bit of say in what the box art for their game looks like..
Well, when you've had a hard enough time to find someone who's actually willing to publish your game, you're not in the best position for negotiating about cover art.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
also pre ordered it. i dont expect a great game but at least a decent game i can enjoy. this trailer doesnt do much though so i hope the game will deliver more then this.

JokerboyJordan

Sep 6, 2009
People should buy this, just to prove to publishers that games with female protagonists CAN be successful.

Eternal_Lament

Sep 23, 2010
I'm still not sure if I'm going to get this. The previews I've seen haven't necessarily made the game look bad, but not great either. As for the trailer itself, it hasn't really changed anything. The narration seems just too simple, or rather, replace some of the first few lines about memory with any other technology and it's just like any other "Scientist meant for good has tech used for evil" schtick. To be fair, it may just be because I find live-action trailers to rarely appeal to me. They can be done right, but not these ones where everything jumps to a different shot every half second.

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
FancyNick said:
To play the devil's advocate here, that box isn't really "sexy." Sure it kinda puts emphasis on her ass but I mean it's not really sexualized in any way.
I think that kinda makes it worse, if she was deliberately posing to look sexy it would make sense for her ass to be on such clear display in the shot. As cover art it that seems like it's trying to be serious, it comes off looking stupid and childish. Notice where the title is positioned, ya, clearly not trying to draw the eye downward at all, real subtle.

Gearhead mk2

Aug 1, 2011
I'm gonna buy this, not just to say "screw you" to the guys that think only male-led games can sell, but because it actually does look kinda cool. I like some of the features they're talking about, like memory mechanics and being able to make your own combos.

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
Well, the demo I played at last weekend's London Comic Con left me with mixed feelings. The visual design and atmosphere were good, and I liked the exploration aspect, but the camera was too wobbly, the platforming was bland, and while the free-flow combat system was alright it was very shallow, and the combat lab installed to improve it via combo customization was rather unintuitive. I'll still gladly play the game, but it's gonna be a rental for me.

geizr

Oct 9, 2008
Steven Bogos said:
The character of Nilin herself was developed in the face of much adversity. At first, developer Dontnod Studios had to fight tooth and nail to keep her as a female, when publishers "super-heroine" [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/122787-Prospective-Publishers-Wanted-a-Male-Centric-Remember-Me], with the developer stating that they wanted Nilin to feel "real," and shied away from the "sexy" route.

Remember Me will be available on the PC, PS3 and Xbox 360.
That right there piques my interest in the game. It is awesome to hear a developer rebelling against the status quo of the shallow, overdone, and vacuous idioms imposed by publishers and, even more so, to have a female lead character that is actually believable, instead of just being yet another objectified 14-year-old's-wet-dream-made-digital.