Remember Me Trailer Deletes The Bad and Replicates the Good

martyrdrebel27

Feb 16, 2009
why wouldn't they want super-heroin? price aside, i don't see the big deal. whatever, stick to your standard heroin... more super-heroin for the rest of us.

WHY AM I SO ITCHY?!?!

captcha: underpants. good call captcha, it's gotta be the underpants. removing them now.

octochan

Apr 3, 2013
This sounds like someone took the main concept from Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind and took it farther. I'm interested in where they went.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
I want to like this game so badly. The concept and setting are perfect, and I love the style it all has.. but the gameplay just sounds so generic and overly linear.

Vausch

Dec 7, 2009
Isn't this the same story premise as Kaiba (no not that guy)?

Which I will continue to say has the most touching opening song ever

Seracen

Sep 20, 2009
I've actually been looking forward to this game. I really want to support it, as it seems like something new and fresh (relatively speaking). Unfortunately, it's Capcom, and I've declared a personal ban on buying anything Capcom unless it's used/GOTY edition.

I'm tired of getting ripped off. Sadly, however, this is the exact sort of thing that gets amazing projects and developers canned. Oh well, it's not like Capcom is producing proper products gamers want anymore anyways.

Sack of Cheese

Sep 12, 2011
I'm waiting for the reviews too. This could be a sleeper hit like Dragon's dogma!
It won't look too impressive, but when you actually play it, it sucks you in.

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
Desert Punk said:
Yes her sexy ass is in the frame, but I think it is still miles better than the way most females are portrayed on covers. She looks strong. Her shoulders are squared, her fist is clenched, her eyes are keen. She doesn't look like she's about to drag you into a bed, she looks like she's about to turn around and punch you in the face. Sure she's got a sexy ass, but that isn't the only thing on display here, and that certainly isn't what she's thinking about at that moment. As a female, I give this cover two thumbs up. She looks like a hero, not a posing playboy model.

Opanak

McGrumpypants
Mar 2, 2010
I still remember Dead Island trailer. It was griping, emotional, violent, gave me goose bumps. It was very well made. And then we ended up with game where you do fetch quest for people with annoying accents.

So yeah, I'm gonna wait a little this time.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
shephardjhon said:
Legion said:
JokerboyJordan said:
People should buy this, just to prove to publishers that games with female protagonists CAN be successful.
Considering how much Tomb Raider has sold, which is undoubtedly more than this game will, I doubt they are unaware. Publishers don't want games with male protagonists because ones with females don't sell. It's that they don't sell as much. It's the logic of "Why sell 2 million copies with a female protagonist when you can sell 3 million with a male?".

Honestly, it's not even like we have any valid evidence for any publishers saying that. An "unnamed publisher" doesn't suffice as proof, because it is almost impossible for anybody to validate it.

shephardjhon said:
I just hope this isn't the same male-bashing bullshit as the new Tomb Raider.
Uh... what? What male bashing? I am genuinely asking, because I have no idea where there was any male bashing in that game.

shephardjhon said:
she is killing desperate people trying to escape the island.
... She was killing crazy cultists who tried to murder her and kidnapped her friend...

Were we playing a different game? As every enemy I killed in that game attacked me first.
With only one or two exceptions, every guy in that game is either a mindless cultist, completely useless or a coward.
And the cultists used to be decent people when they arrived on the island, according to the collectibles and some of their conversations. After several failed attempts to escape they finally gave up and started following the ancient legends told to them by their leader.
If Lara's attempts were unsuccessful like theirs she and her crew would be just like them or they would be killed.
Its like Life of Pi(after he reveals the truth) but with a lot more people and they are on an island instead of a boat.
I don't disagree, but it's still self defence in the case of Lara's behaviour. While they weren't so much bad, as crazy it was still a case of their lives or hers. Very few games give you the option to go around killing people who wouldn't happily kill you first. Only RPG's or Sandbox games tend to have that option.

I am also still not seeing the "male bashing" or "misandry" that you mentioned earlier. It seems like you are merely reversing Anita Sarkeesians arguments, as she seems to assume that anything showing women in a bad light in games, is automatically misogynistic against women, regardless of context.

You seem to be making the same kind of argument, unless I am very much mistaken.

Lilani said:
Desert Punk said:
Yes her sexy ass is in the frame, but I think it is still miles better than the way most females are portrayed on covers. She looks strong. Her shoulders are squared, her fist is clenched, her eyes are keen. She doesn't look like she's about to drag you into a bed, she looks like she's about to turn around and punch you in the face. Sure she's got a sexy ass, but that isn't the only thing on display here, and that certainly isn't what she's thinking about at that moment. As a female, I give this cover two thumbs up. She looks like a hero, not a posing playboy model.
I think it's worth noting that if she'd been in that pose but facing the front, people would then be saying they are showing off her chest instead. While this kind of thing is certainly more common for female characters, people's own bias does often seem to play a rather strong part in how they look at it.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
shephardjhon said:
Just look at some of the comments made by the writer of Tomb Raider. She clearly hates men. And she talks as if she has made such a huge leap in gaming, what she has done in my opinion is written the gaming equal of I Spit On Your Grave, which is completely fine if everyone wasn't praising the other parts of the game so much that I had to try it. Make that game but advertise it as such so I will stay the hell away from it. She is responsible for the worst part of an otherwise great game and she thinks she deserves credit for its success.
If one of the selling points of remember me is a female protagonist, I will avoid it unless it proves that there are female villains in it too.
And the sex appeal thing is probably why most publishers wanted to avoid a female protagonist. They knew that in whatever way they made the box art, someone is going to complain about it being too sexy and a few morons are actually going to complain about it not being sexy, according to the video games awesome lets play, both happened with Tomb Raider and I think very few publishers are willing to handle that.
You have expressed the opinion that the game has misandric attitudes three times now, but not once provided a single example. If you can't provide any, then I am going to assume you are just making it up. It's not my job to look up the points you are trying to make. If you are going to claim a game is sexist against men, then it's your job to provide examples of this to back your point up.

Obviously you don't have to if you don't want to, but don't expect anybody to take your points seriously or respond to them (and if you don't care about that, it kind of defeats the point of commenting on a discussion board).

It is also worth noting that the lead writers of computer games have very little actual authority when it comes to the game. They don't write the entire script and hand it onto the developers who make it happen. They still need what they write to be approved, they just use their writing skills to make things more believable.

So even if the writer did hate men, that kind of attitude/message wouldn't be allowed in the game unless the people in charge were happy for it to be.

As for the whole "People complain when it's sexy, people complain when it isn't". I agree, it's pretty idiotic. When it comes to writing or creating female characters, then when it comes to the "geek community" people find something to complain about regardless. I imagine it's probably a bit of a headache when it comes to game development, but to be honest, the "geek community" complains about everything. It's amazing how large an industry it is considering nobody seems to like anything.

KarlMonster

Mar 10, 2009
"Remember Me Trailer Deletes The Bad and Replicates the Good"

Hmmm ... ...

Nope. No it doesn't.
The trailer just kind of plays. And there's this (young!) male voice-over and stringed instrument accompaniment that we hear over a chaotic montage that could possibly be giving some backstory. So allegedly the world is now run by the guys from 'We Can Remember That For You Wholesale'. Or a couple of absinthe junkies. Or maybe they're the same people.

But, for all I can tell, its an ad for a clothier that uses that strange circular symbol as their logo. Clothing for shut-ins. "Not going anywhere? Be comfortable!"

So, lets start again with something definitive: "Remember Me Trailer has vague stuff in it."

There we go. Accurate and to the point. By the way, is this 'Remember Me Trailer' thing related to the upcoming video game that I've heard of? I mean, it sounds far-fetched, but there are a few similarities.

The game should have a plot, and the trailer should be buried in one.

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
shephardjhon said:
With only one or two exceptions, every guy in that game is either a mindless cultist, completely useless or a coward.
And the cultists used to be decent people when they arrived on the island, according to the collectibles and some of their conversations. After several failed attempts to escape they finally gave up and started following the ancient legends told to them by their leader.
If Lara's attempts were unsuccessful like theirs she and her crew would be just like them or they would be killed.
Its like Life of Pi(after he reveals the truth) but with a lot more people and they are on an island instead of a boat.
With only one exception, the crew who arrived on the island with Lara are good people. So the good supporting cast consists of two men and two women.

The people who've been on the island for longer are cultists who've sacrificed all women that used to be among them in attempts to revive Himiko. The cult leader is very well aware of that destroying Himiko's old vessel would stop the storms and free everyone on the island, but instead he's formed his cult of maniacs to revive her and attempt to conquer the world with her power.

The cultists may have once been decent people, but not anymore. The ones who tried to stay decent were killed, and only the ones who became willing to blindly follow their leader and murder the innocent for a hypothetical chance to get off the island remained.

Amanda Diamond

Nov 2, 2011
Well, they put her on the front cover atleast... I guess it's a start. I've already preordered my copy as well. It piqued my interests.

A Weakgeek

Feb 3, 2011
So many people here who preordered the game, while not being able to know what its actually like and bizarrely enough some even expecting it to be mediocre.

No wonder theres so much bitching after every game release. Some people have way too much money on their hands.

bug_of_war

Nov 30, 2012
Desert Punk said:
I am not complaining, I am pointing outthat for all the fighting they did to keep her unsexualized they rather failed on the box art.

Its not just that she is facing away from the camera, it is the way the title is set up, going smoothly from Remember to Me, then they added the lense flair to the jeans over her ass to draw your eye directly down to it after you read the title.

Compare it to The Last of Us box art

The female lead here is also looking at the camera, more side on, but it deemphasizes her figure instead of drawing the eye to any particular part of anatomy.

God knows I am sick and tired of sexism debates, but I cant help but call bullshit on developers who whine about their struggles then go with such blatantly manipulative box art.
Okay, first off showing her in this pose:
is not sexualisation. Yes, there is a small amount of light shining on one side of her ass, there's also light shining on her neck, and her having her back turned to the camera does not make the picture sexualised. THIS:
is sexualised imagery, the remember me image is basically just this:
only with a woman.

As for the comparison with "The Last Of Us", the reason she does not appear sexy is because she is a 14 year old girl. If anyone found the girl on the front cover of "The Last Of Us" sexy than they would be a paedophile. Portraying the main character of Remember Me the way that they have is not sexualising her character, she looks sexy, but she is not in any pose that is blatantly trying to get boners popping outta dudes pants. If you think a woman standing with her back to you is sexualisation then you have the problem, her back isn't contorted, her ass isn't huge, her tits aren't popping out the side and she doesn't look helpless or dominatrix-ish.

You wanna see blatant manipulative box art that sexualises women?

bug_of_war

Nov 30, 2012
Desert Punk said:
And in your picture of assassins creed I am not exactly seeing them lining up the words with the assassins (Fuck if I know his name, not my kinda game) ass, putting him in skin tight jeans, AND PUTTING LENSE FLAIR ON IT for no apparent reason. The neck thing, yeah there is light there, its coming from one of the worst designed implants in sci fi, but atleast it makes sense, I doubt she has one installed in her ass though.
When you buy clothes, you generally buy the so that they fit, and when your job involves you climbing around buildings, running, fighting and basically being as mobile as possible you don't buy baggy clothes. As for why there is light on one side of her butt, you should notice that when light comes from one direction your body is not bright all around. The way she is standing suggests that if light is shined at her on her left side, then the left part of her body will be lit up. The fact that her back is darker is because her arm is shielding it from the light rays, but the top left hand corner has no obstructions, thus light is bound to shine there.

Desert Punk said:
And I gotta laugh that you whined that no one should find her sexy because shes 14 when I was talking about the pose itself, not the specific character, and you cant even get your fucking terminology right, if they were attracted to a 14 year old girl they would be an ephebophile, but you are pretty much trying to strawman at this point so I am not going to waste any more time with you.

Hopefully you learned something, but please, go bother someone else.
You were talking about the pose, and I was saying that the reason she is not in a sexy pose is because she is 14, which means it'd be pretty fucking sick of the developers to publish art work of a 14 year old girl to incite sexual stimulation. Yes, I got the terminology wrong, I was not aware, that is my bad, but my argument is still valid, the girl in The Last Of Us is a girl, not a woman. Women can be sexy without being sexualised, girls cannot. There is a big difference between titillation and an attractive person, and you seem to be blending the two together with some misplaced sense of white knighted-hood and a superiority complex so overgrown that it would make the head of activision blush.