Remember remember the fifth of November....

PeaceRider

Oct 17, 2011
12:16
Nothing Happened.
Anonymous, YOU LOSE!
and to everyone here...THE GAME IS LOST! (waits to see what happens and how long it takes people to figure out what I truly said)

repeating integers

Mar 17, 2010
PeaceRider said:
12:16
Nothing Happened.
Anonymous, YOU LOSE!
and to everyone here...THE GAME IS LOST! (waits to see what happens and how long it takes people to figure out what I truly said)
...did I just lose The Game?

Well, fuck that.

OT: The local firework party was pretty awesome. The final firework sounded like a full-sized bomb going off. Also, instead of an effigy of Guy Fawkes, we had an Olympic runner with a torch who looked like he was failing at QWOP.

Hero in a half shell said:
Vern said:
Why would you celebrate a Catholic terrorist attempting to overthrow the Protestant King in order to create a Catholic controlled state? I'm really sorry, but I just don't get the Guy Fawkes love. Yeah he wanted to overthrow the government, and he wanted to do so through violence, and only so that the people he liked would come to power.

Anyway, today is my Dad's birthday, so I'll call him.
No, we aren't celebrating Guy Fawkes at all. The film written by Americans got the point of the British holiday completely wrong.

The purpose of the holiday is to celebrate that the traitor Guy Fawkes and his accomplices were discovered and caught just before they managed to blow up the King and Parliament.
OhJohnNo said:
Wow. How have so many people utterly missed the point?

Guy Fawkes day is celebrating the fact that we killed Guy Fawkes before the fucker could blow up the government. It's not celebrating the guy himself!

Maybe it's too misleadingly named - I always just call it "firework night".
As this guy says. Jeez, people should really stop believing anything vaguely historical that they hear in a Hollywood movie. Someone should make a campaign about that or something.
Ah, so THAT's why people are misinterpreting it. Well, that's annoying.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Scarecrow 8 said:
....a religion based on the Matrix? That's something I would need to see, and then I would no doubt only laugh at it. But back to the point,/
But we were on point. You would laugh at someone else's popcorn philosophy, but seem to want your own treated with legitimacy.

Now, for the "confusing."

"I like the movie V for Vendetta, I agree with some of the messages and so I decided to wear a mask on the day the movie's events center around. The original point of this tread was just to ask how people celebrate the day, not argue about politics."
So you wouldn't laugh at a Matrix-based religion?

Oh, wait, you would. You just said you probably would.

You may not want to talk about "politics," but the core of the argument is "politics." please. The core of your support is politics. You've made political assertions even saying you don't want to talk politics.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
sapphireofthesea said:
My friend, everything in this world evolves. Many of the things we do and celibrate and have significant good meaning to us were born of terrible acts and horrible legacies. While the past meanings of things are worth remembering, there is a dividing line between the past and the new, evolved meaning. In some cases (such as this one) the previous and present meanings are opposites, where the new meaning has evoled from the past on purpose to add extra strength, meaning and drive to the present.
The past is important, but if you look at it too long you will miss the present and fall behind on the future.
If looking to the past too long is a problem, why are millions of douchebags using Guy Fawkes masks in the first place? They could create a new, organic, and honest movement, but they're looking to lies instead.

The past and present meaning are not really opposite, mind. They are, of course, at odds. The problem being, not the evolution, but the continued value given to the past, though it is both wrong and harmful to do so.

People are gutting history for a fad. It's not a movement, a revolution, or any of the sort. It's a fashion statement. that's why people rally behind the Guy Fawkes mask, because it was made trendy. that's why people wear T-Shirts with a brutal murderer because he wears a marketable beret.

Hey, so what if the guy killed minorities, gays, political dissidents and religious folk? He wears a purty hat! Let's put him on our T-Shirts and build a revolution on him!

Granted, Guevara is a more horrific thing to forget than some failure who hated Protestants. The point remains.

sapphireofthesea

Jul 18, 2010
Zachary Amaranth said:
sapphireofthesea said:
My friend, everything in this world evolves. Many of the things we do and celibrate and have significant good meaning to us were born of terrible acts and horrible legacies. While the past meanings of things are worth remembering, there is a dividing line between the past and the new, evolved meaning. In some cases (such as this one) the previous and present meanings are opposites, where the new meaning has evoled from the past on purpose to add extra strength, meaning and drive to the present.
The past is important, but if you look at it too long you will miss the present and fall behind on the future.
If looking to the past too long is a problem, why are millions of douchebags using Guy Fawkes masks in the first place? They could create a new, organic, and honest movement, but they're looking to lies instead.

The past and present meaning are not really opposite, mind. They are, of course, at odds. The problem being, not the evolution, but the continued value given to the past, though it is both wrong and harmful to do so.

People are gutting history for a fad. It's not a movement, a revolution, or any of the sort. It's a fashion statement. that's why people rally behind the Guy Fawkes mask, because it was made trendy. that's why people wear T-Shirts with a brutal murderer because he wears a marketable beret.

Hey, so what if the guy killed minorities, gays, political dissidents and religious folk? He wears a purty hat! Let's put him on our T-Shirts and build a revolution on him!

Granted, Guevara is a more horrific thing to forget than some failure who hated Protestants. The point remains.

But you make the mistake of going with the flow, that is the general assumption that people are using the masks as an acknowledgement of guyfawks history. The mask, as best as I have seen, came into vogue after V for Vendetta (regardless of that movies base) and it was made with quite peaceful protests in mind.
Now if you were to start something major, with 1000's of people you never met, would you risk having to start from scratch to explain your position and intention or would you (like many in history, good and bad) feed off of a popular belief.
That is how things evolve from good to bad and from bad to good. People, for their own means, adopt a symbol and use it to get a mass of others up to speed on the basics of what they are doing. They then develop that symbol, sometimes modifying it physically, to better fit their ideal.

What you see with the Occupy X is that they have taken a popular resistance film (itself designed to show such, art and all that) and used it as a base point to rally a mass of people with a singular mindset, using the film as a base line by using a popular symbol of that film.
Anon has done the same thing but developed it in their own way, but at the very least people don't view Anon as willing to launch a nuke or make trains crash into each other, because their baseline symbol represents non-violent protest (you can interpret internet action, as many do, in different ways and as violent but there is still the distinct lack of physical violence in their actions).

P.S. This is actually becoming quite a deep ideals discussion XD. Hope others get something from it either side of the argument.

P.P.S. Yeah, the Guevara thing... sometimes people are just idiots, though in the past people have used violent figures to express a violent division from a mindset (think Bikers and their Tatoos).