Remember that mission in Prypiat on Call of Duty 4? Well take a look at this...

Captain Pancake

May 20, 2009
dragonslayer32 said:
Wow, that is pretty cool. That mission was one of the most unrealistic, you know, 2 guys take on hundreds of enemies but this makes it a little bit better.
Yeah but they were british so that accounts for it all.

Vie

Nov 18, 2009
Wait, you guys din't know that it was a real place?
Jesus.

Please tell me you at least know about the Chernobyl disaster?
Or the Three Mile Island incident?

GrinningManiac

Jun 11, 2009
Shock Horror - it's a real place

I know you've already got that snarky response, but seriously - you didn't know that?

dragonslayer32

Jan 11, 2010
Captain Pancake said:
dragonslayer32 said:
Wow, that is pretty cool. That mission was one of the most unrealistic, you know, 2 guys take on hundreds of enemies but this makes it a little bit better.
Yeah but they were british so that accounts for it all.
True, I didn't think of that...

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
well glad you found out the place is actually real and that Infinity Ward still had a Soul when they made Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare.

if i remember they had developer diaries about that particular lvl actually. Some1 will have to dig that up.

C95J

I plan to live forever.
Apr 10, 2010
wait, people didn't know this?

Haha.
Disclaimer just in case people take this too seriously: It was a joke

I loved these missions in CoD4, my favourites. Such a cool feature and location in the game.

Thedutchjelle

Mar 31, 2009
Pripyat. I'm surprised you didn't know about it yet. It's getting a bit more press lately, mostly thanks to games like STALKER and CoD. There are many interesting things around : In the Pripyat Hospital there is a room with elevated radiation levels - on the ground they found the clothing and gear from the firefighters that helped extinguish the fire.
I remember seeing a photo of a room, all furniture gone, but one of the doors still had posters of automobiles. Or a photo of a child's drawing left on the floor.

You can go on a tour there as well, 3 days for 300-500 euro. I wish to go there one day, but I don't want to go alone and I don't think anyone will enjoy a radioactive vacation :<

The 26th April of 2011 will be the 25th anniversary of the Chernobyl Accident. It will hopefully hit the media again. They shouldn't forget about this - it still plays a major role in the life of thousands of people.

I'm really interested in the subject myself, and have about 100 MB of photographs of the area.

EDIT: Added some photos that I collected.

The Forest Hotel before the accident.
[http://img266.imageshack.us/i/hotelpolissyabeforethea.jpg/]
Here's a photograph made of the forest after the accident. You can see why they call it the Red Forest
[http://img339.imageshack.us/i/redforest3.jpg/]

Here's a overview photograph of Pripyat, made after the accident.
[http://img266.imageshack.us/i/pripyat1.jpg/]

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
Yeah it's scary (in a very, VERY awesome sort of way) how authentic Pripyat felt when I saw actual photos of the place. Remarked as much when the Escapist published the news of it becoming a tourist location as of next year.

GrizzlerBorno

Sep 2, 2010
Those Missions were AMAZING! The sneaking in mission was easily the single best individual mission i have ever played in a video-game ever. It was THAT well orchestrated, imo.

OT: Yeah... I knew about this since LONG before I had heard of either CoD OR Stalker. I was the REALLY nerdy kid who read the Kids Encyclopedia and knew about obscure historical facts at the age of 10....... I have no regrets.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Daedalus1942 said:
Zhukov said:
Umm... I'm not sure what you're trying to say here.

They made a level set in the town Prypiat. (A good idea incidentally.) So they made that level look like the actual town.

And of course they included the ferris wheel. It's the landmark of Prypiat. Arguably even more recognisable then the actual Chernobyl reactor building. Not including that ferris wheel would be like making a game set in Paris without including the Eiffel Tower.
Screw Call of Duty.
Stalker was way more accurate and they recreated the entire fucking town, not just the amusement park bit, and in Shadow of Chernobyl, you can walk around and in nearly every single building in Pripiat. i wish everyone would shutup about Call of Duty.
Stalker did it better.
-Tabs<3-
Umm... what? I think you quoted the wrong person there.

For the record, I don't particularly like CoD.

Caliostro

Headhunter
Jan 23, 2008
It's kinda depressing how many people apparently didn't know UKRAINE was a real fucking place.

Did you people drop out of school in 2nd grade or something? ...Seriously...

@OP: Pretty cool. Reminds me of a different set of Prypiat pictures I've seen. Someone else either did the tour or went solo.

Does make me wonder, won't this kind of radiation incur serious health issues on the people that went on this tour?

YourlocalPCsnob

May 22, 2010
If you played Cod1 back in 2003 you might recognize
This bridge...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pegasus_Bridge
or this church..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sainte-M%C3%A8re-%C3%89glise
or this boat..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_battleship_Tirpitz
or this dam
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eder_Dam
or maybe this...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reichstag_%28building%29
or maybe you played scenes from this movie...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enemy_at_the_gates

Thedutchjelle

Mar 31, 2009
Caliostro said:
It's kinda depressing how many people apparently didn't know UKRAINE was a real fucking place.

Did you people drop out of school in 2nd grade or something? ...Seriously...

@OP: Pretty cool. Reminds me of a different set of Prypiat pictures I've seen. Someone else either did the tour or went solo.

Does make me wonder, won't this kind of radiation incur serious health issues on the people that went on this tour?
Background radiation is now rather low as they cleaned up the place after the accident and 24 years gives the isotopes a lot of time to decay. It's still not safe to live there permanently, but for a short visit, it won't be worse than an intercontinental flight.
The most dangerous parts are the ones that never got cleaned. For instance, the Red Forest (called that was as all the leaves died after the accident, which was in spring) was bulldozed and the trees were buried underground. The radiation levels in the forest are now very high - in some places it's the equivalent of getting a chest X-ray every hour.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Internet Kraken said:
AwesomeFerret said:
Internet Kraken said:
Pripyat is a very interesting place. It's a city that's been abandoned, but at time of evacuation the city itself was intact. It hadn't been bombed or burned or anything else that would due major damage to the structures of the city. Radiation is obviously deadly to us but it doesn't destroy concrete. So when you look at Pripyat, you see a city that has only been destroyed by the ravages of time. Like what would happen if humans just vanished one day, and everything we built was left to decay and crumble.
There's actually an entire TV series all about what would happen if people up and vanished without warning. It shows what would happen to all the mega structures, reactors, power plants, wildlife and farm animals among other things without people around. I don't remember what it was called, but its pretty damn cool.
Yeah, I saw some commercials for that. I believe it was called "Life after humans" or something like that. It looked interesting, but I wouldn't watch it for some reason. I think it's because it was on the History channel, and most of the shows on the History channel are complete bullshit.
It's not so much a series, just one documentary. Quite interesting actually, but nothing you don't really expect already. Places like this are so fascinating in that they show what could only be theorised so far. Documentaries like that are one thing, places like this actually existing and visiting them is even better. Well, better...you get what I mean.

But it's not even remotely as crappy as your average History Channel show. Go watch it.

Anyway, I too thought this was pretty much common knowledge.

Caliostro

Headhunter
Jan 23, 2008
Thedutchjelle said:
Background radiation is now rather low as they cleaned up the place after the accident and 24 years gives the isotopes a lot of time to decay. It's still not safe to live there permanently, but for a short visit, it won't be worse than an intercontinental flight.
The most dangerous parts are the ones that never got cleaned. For instance, the Red Forest (called that was as all the leaves died after the accident, which was in spring) was bulldozed and the trees were buried underground. The radiation levels in the forest are now very high - in some places it's the equivalent of getting a chest X-ray every hour.
Cheers.

Admittedly I'm not a professional, but from that thread's explanation it seemed like the count was much higher.

I still don't think I'd go there though.

Daedalus1942

Jun 26, 2009
Zhukov said:
Daedalus1942 said:
Zhukov said:
Umm... I'm not sure what you're trying to say here.

They made a level set in the town Prypiat. (A good idea incidentally.) So they made that level look like the actual town.

And of course they included the ferris wheel. It's the landmark of Prypiat. Arguably even more recognisable then the actual Chernobyl reactor building. Not including that ferris wheel would be like making a game set in Paris without including the Eiffel Tower.
Screw Call of Duty.
Stalker was way more accurate and they recreated the entire fucking town, not just the amusement park bit, and in Shadow of Chernobyl, you can walk around and in nearly every single building in Pripiat. i wish everyone would shutup about Call of Duty.
Stalker did it better.
-Tabs<3-
Umm... what? I think you quoted the wrong person there.

For the record, I don't particularly like CoD.
I didn't quote the wrong person. It wasn't aimed at you, it was aimed at everyone making such a fuss about one frigging level when the whole of Stalker is faithfully recreated, from the Cordon, to Pripyat, to Yantar and Chernobyl itself.
CoD was one freaking level...
-Tabs<3-