Remembering STALKER

Whodat

Jul 14, 2009
No, STALKER will never die. Nor do I believe that STALKER 2 will become a masterpiece, but a legendary leap into a new sub-genre of gaming. I know that you've all seen a very large spike in nostalgia for STALKER, but this is a game that is very near and dear to me, in so many more ways than one. So here, Escapist, here is my homage to STALKER.

I was living in Ireland when I saw STALKER sitting on a shelf in the local GAME store at the mall. It's light brown, radiation tinted case was calling to me, so I picked it up and read the extract on the back. My 12 year old mind couldn't contemplate how amazing this game sounded, I had never read anything like it, it was just too unique. So after weeks of saving allowance money, I returned and purchased the game, not knowing what to expect.

KILL STRELOK. I didn't know why I had to, but I needed to, and this is how -like many other player's- my journey began. Literally nothing was like this, nor could anything have prepared me for this. From the first gunshot to the last death, I enjoyed the hell out of this game. A constant state of paranoia hung around my head every time I loaded this game up, something that has never happened since. Could I be attacked by a mutant? Would I stumble upon a dying STALKER? A whirlgig or a springtrap anomaly? Every step something changed around me, and it has forever stuck with me. Learning and adapting to the environment, finding the best spot for cover or finding a stash, it just never got old. So far I have beaten the game over 5 times and have gotten nearly every ending, completing every quest, still picking up things that I had never noticed before, like finding Gordon Freeman (which I'll let you find for yourself ;) ).

But I think the real reason why this interested me so much is because of how unique it all is. The setting was a real place -which still intrigues me to this day-, the world moves around you, you aren't a bullet-absorbing super hulk, you're a normal man, one who bleeds and gets hungry. The atmosphere breathes around you, the Eastern flavors of Ukraine and Soviet-Russia enveloping you. Even little things like NPCs speaking Russian sets the game apart. And so does that utter solidarity and loneliness, the isolation, which is something only STALKER can do.

There aren't enough words to express how much this game has meant to me and how it has changed the way I look at gaming as a whole. That's why I love STALKER and GSC, they created a while new genre, established an untouched niche in gaming that only they can truly touch. Studios may try, and some have done so successfully -4a games and Crotech, who made two of my other favorites, Metro 2033 and Crystatsis: the Sleep of Reason-, and some have failed, but none can capture the depth and feel like STALKER can. It's something that I can keep coming back to and still enjoy, it always feels fresh, knowing the weapons and their balances, how they reload, etc; It just never gets tiring.

So now I will finish with a few good words.

Good hunting, STALKER. Get out of here.

XzarTheMad

Oct 10, 2008
Yeah, Stalker is a good game. One of the ones I continually return to, about once a year or so. Althought I'll admit that I was somewhat disappointed with Clear Sky, and I ain't looking forward to Call of Pripyat too much. My main concern is making bloodsuckers invulnerable while invisible. Not that I dislike the difficulty, but it makes no sense. None at all. Basically they require you to always carry a shotgun, or always take damage when dealing with them.

But even so, even Clear Sky is miles above most other shooters I've played recently. And Shadow of Chernobyl is, without a doubt, one of the best FPS games I've ever tried.

Don't just stand there! Come in!

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
You were 12 when it came out? Let's see, that's mean... hmm... you're around 16-17 now? Geez that makes me feel old.

Guess it'd be kinda late for me to point out STALKER is rated M as well, but whatever.

As for Stalker it really is a brilliant series, easily among my all time favourite straight-up shooter series and without doubt my number 1 when it comes to ambience and setting. Traversing the world in the STALKER is just such an incredible gaming experience I genuinely think just about everyone who's interested in gaming should at least try the series. Can't guarantee they'll like it, but there's really nothing else out there that quite matches it.

Honestly I think Call of Pripyat is probably my favourite of the series but they're all fantastic. Shadow of Chernobyl has the better story and sense of scale, but it's also very rough around the edges as the developers first attempt at a game. Pripyat just has better gameplay and more well-rounded and implemented ideas: The upgradable weapons, the huge open areas, great level design, and lots of entertaining side missions and exploring to be done. It's fantastic.

Still nothing will match those first few exploring steps into the zone. The first encounter with a 'snork' or the first time a player enters one of the series notorious underground labs. Good times, good times indeed!

Whodat

Jul 14, 2009
The Madman said:
You were 12 when it came out? Let's see, that's mean... hmm... you're around 16-17 now? Geez that makes me feel old.

Guess it'd be kinda late for me to point out STALKER is rated M as well, but whatever.

As for Stalker it really is a brilliant series, easily among my all time favourite straight-up shooter series and without doubt my number 1 when it comes to ambience and setting. Traversing the world in the STALKER is just such an incredible gaming experience I genuinely think just about everyone who's interested in gaming should at least try the series. Can't guarantee they'll like it, but there's really nothing else out there that quite matches it.

Honestly I think Call of Pripyat is probably my favourite of the series but they're all fantastic. Shadow of Chernobyl has the better story and sense of scale, but it's also very rough around the edges as the developers first attempt at a game. Pripyat just has better gameplay and more well-rounded and implemented ideas: The upgradable weapons, the huge open areas, great level design, and lots of entertaining side missions and exploring to be done. It's fantastic.

Still nothing will match those first few exploring steps into the zone. The first encounter with a 'snork' or the first time a player enters one of the series notorious underground labs. Good times, good times indeed!
You gotta admit though, I pay more attention to, and actually think about deeper meanings in things than most people my age would.

Grey Day for Elcia

Jan 15, 2012
I really enjoyed playing S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl, but never got past a little over the half way mark. I felt like I had seen all it had to offer by that point and lost interest.

1-up

May 12, 2011
I wanted to like the game, but the 5 minute load times pretty much killed it for me.

manaman

Sep 2, 2007
I still need to get around to actually playing that game. I own it, it's unopened. Just sitting there mocking me in it's case.

cgmetallica1981

Mar 15, 2010
I've played through Shadow Chernobyl around 3 times without mods, and probably around 5 with different mods. It's tied with Diablo II for my all time favorite game.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
1-up said:
I wanted to like the game, but the 5 minute load times pretty much killed it for me.
I'm pretty sure the areas were big enough that you only needed to load once every hour or so dude.

OT: I started with COP and I actually like clear sky better than the other two. I really wish they refined the faction warfare or at least expanded on it. It really made it feel like the zone was chaotic.

That, and seeing a bunch of soldiers run into an whirlwind anomaly maze to fight eachother and slowly succumbing to the place was fun.

Lovely Mixture

Jul 12, 2011
Stalker is one of the few games to handle atmosphere very well. The only other games I think come close are Condemned and the first FEAR.

Stalker: SoC was fun and hard. But a complete buggy mess (thankfully fixed by the modding community to some extent).

Stalker: CS was a very weird entry in the series, being more action based.

Stalker: CoP had the best environments of the series (instead of smaller enclosed areas, there are 3 big areas) but toned down the difficulty.

The only problem is that the after the first game, Clear Sky and Call of Pripyat (probably the best Stalker experience I've had) did not add much in terms of gameplay. That said I look forward to Stalker II regardless.

Jakub324

Jan 23, 2011
The Madman said:

Are you saying you never - never - played a game you weren't supposed to? Shit, I played Timesplitters when I was five! Right now, as a seventeen year old, I have Gears of War, Fallout, Borderlands, Modern Warfare 2 and 3, Black Ops and FarCry 2 and it done me any harm.
OT: S.T.A.L.K.E.R. is one of my all time favourite games. I loved everything about it, from the shitting yourself because you just heard the telltale grunt of a nearby snork, or the genuinely scary hissing of a bloodsucker and especially Ghost's and Vasiliev's last recordings. Everything about it was awesome.

Whodat

Jul 14, 2009
cgmetallica1981 said:
I've played through Shadow Chernobyl around 3 times without mods, and probably around 5 with different mods. It's tied with Diablo II for my all time favorite game.
I never could stand the Complete mod, and funnily I never had ANY bugs when I played through STALKER unpatched. But, the complete mod just changed too many little details for me, like the knife, it went from being a small sword to a large toothpick. Sadly it's tiny in CoP and CS :(

Thedutchjelle

Mar 31, 2009
One of the few things that irk me about STALKER are the lack of any physics in the world aside from bullet ones. You can push against any door and it won't open or move, except for a select very few ones. Interactivity with the world in general seems lacking.
The talking animations are also rather shitty.

The one that pisses me off the most however are the "wounded" animations that NPC sometimes pull off when you hit them. During that period they are completely invulnerable.

I still love the game series despite all its faults though :)

Vicarious Reality

Jul 10, 2011
stalker might not have ''holly wood perfection'' but it damn well has soul

Notice the lyrics to this song
Miraculous crystal
Given by stars
I can foresee the future
In fabulous glass
Lie spilt on the caves
Mock scribbled on us
Earth?s doom day is close

Dancing on the ashes of the world
I behold the stars
Heavy gale is blowing to my face
Rising up the dust
Barren lands are desperate to blossom
Dark stars strive to shine
I still remember the blue ocean
In this dying world

The seas overdumped
The rivers are dead
All planet?s cities turned a deserted land
Annihilation declares its day
Life slowly
Utters me ?remain?

Dirge for the planet
Dirge for the Earth

Dirge for the planet
Dirge for the Earth

Dancing on the ashes of the world
I behold the stars
Heavy gale is blowing to my face
Rising up the dust
Barren lands are desperate to blossom
Dark stars strive to shine
still remember the blue ocean
In this dying world

Thedutchjelle said:
The one that pisses me off the most however are the "wounded" animations that NPC sometimes pull off when you hit them. During that period they are completely invulnerable.
:)
What? No they are not in my memory

razor343

Sep 29, 2010
STALKER is indeed a brilliant game. For me, the aspect of 'losing is fun' seems to apply a lot to the game as it is unforgiving and forces you to develop new strategies rather quickly.

Going slightly off topic though, has anyone started some kind of donation page for GSC? If not then it has to be done for the sake of STALKER 2.