Removed

Daemonate

Jun 7, 2010
Having poured many hours over the past few days into this terrible, wonderful little game, I can say this review is spot on. Try this game...if you don't value your spare time. It won't be spare for long.

PS I don't care how good a gamer you are, don't try 'normal' first. 'easy', well, isn't.

Misho-

May 20, 2010
My brother has been playing this one lately, with many MODS that don't do what they are supposed to and dying way too many times to still be having fun. But anyhow, sounds nice.

Monsterfurby

Mar 7, 2008
It's a fun game, though nothing for my short attention span. I play it occasionally, but it did mainly one thing: get me back into Star Trek Online.

disturbed_one

Jan 9, 2009
I love 2d graphics and all, but did they really need 10,000$ for the creation of this game?
I've tried it, hoped it would be fun, but I'm not into rougelikes anyway. Not saying that I won't give it a chance sometime later, I can certainly see why people like it. I'm just baffled by the production cost and everything.

Space Pirates and Zombies is more of my thing.

Ilikemilkshake

Jun 7, 2010
disturbed_one said:
I love 2d graphics and all, but did they really need 10,000$ for the creation of this game?
I've tried it, hoped it would be fun, but I'm not into rougelikes anyway. Not saying that I won't give it a chance sometime later, I can certainly see why people like it. I'm just baffled by the production cost and everything.

Obviously I don't know for sure what they spent $10,000 on but it's not a whole amount of money when you think about it. Even if you want to say paying to have an original soundtrack produced and licensing the programmes used to create the art assets and programme the game was all free, $10,000 probably only barely covers the living costs of the two guys who spent 5 months of their lives making this game.

Anyway I frikkin love it. The only way I could think of improving it would be if there were more.. more game modes, more ships, more events etc. But for the price this game is insane value for money so I can't really complain.

Ilikemilkshake

Jun 7, 2010
DeadpanLunatic said:
Ilikemilkshake said:
disturbed_one said:

Obviously I don't know for sure what they spent $10,000 on but it's not a whole amount of money when you think about it.
Yes, but the interesting question is: If they originally planned to do this for just $10,000, how exactly did the extra $190,000 help? It's hard to adequately gauge how expensive a game is just by playing it. I'm sure they used some of that to polish music and art. A detailed breakdown would be interesting.
That's a good point but then again who says they HAD to do anything with the extra $190,000.
$10k was obviously the bare minimum they needed to get the project off to a good start, so even if they needed more than that to finish the game, they weren't actually obliged to spend all of their kickstarted money.

I'd have to guess that for projects on KickStarter who get 2000% of their original asking, there becomes a point where the money stops being considered for spending on development and is considered instead as an early pre order (like most backers buying games are thinking anyway)

But yeah it would be interesting to see how "over funded" projects actually use that money.

Zer_

Rocket Scientist
Feb 7, 2008
DeadpanLunatic said:
Ilikemilkshake said:
disturbed_one said:

Obviously I don't know for sure what they spent $10,000 on but it's not a whole amount of money when you think about it.
Yes, but the interesting question is: If they originally planned to do this for just $10,000, how exactly did the extra $190,000 help? It's hard to adequately gauge how expensive a game is just by playing it. I'm sure they used some of that to polish music and art. A detailed breakdown would be interesting.
I think it's important to remember that anything above the minimum amount needed with Kickstarter is icing on the cake for developers. I don't consider it as "over funding". If they were able to make that extra money with their idea and come up with an awesome game like this, then I have no issues with it at all.

FTL is a fantastic game. I spent more hours that I thought I would in that game and I always find myself going back to it. They also plan on adding new content/releasing a more content rich sequel. Don't take my word for it but I recall hearing that the devs were considering creating a fully open world version of this game.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
rollerfox88 said:
Daemonate said:
Having poured many hours over the past few days into this terrible, wonderful little game, I can say this review is spot on. Try this game...if you don't value your spare time. It won't be spare for long.

PS I don't care how good a gamer you are, don't try 'normal' first. 'easy', well, isn't.
Easy is fine, until you get to the last sector. Fuuuuuuuuuuuuck that shit.

But yes, terrific game, Steam told me about 4 days after I bought it that I had played for 23 hours, and I barely felt like I had spent any time at all on it.
At least until you get boarded by four Mantises. Seriously you might as well just save yourself some time and hit restart when that happens.

Capacha: unscramble this word: tleeviison...oh great, they're turning it into a fucking riddle now.

Zenn3k

Feb 2, 2009
Well, I just picked up this interesting game.

Gotta say, its fun, but incredibly frustrating. I was just on a run, for example, that ended as they all do...with my death, but ONLY because I could not locate a store. Thats the ONLY reason I lost. I jumped 2 full systems, hitting everything I could along the way...no store, hence I could not repair my hull, and eventually died.

That was my best run by far up to that point as well. Lots of good weapons, lots of upgrades, 200+ scrap just sitting there, waiting to be used...but no store.

To lose to such a ridiculous reason puts me off from playing again. I didn't lose because I did something wrong, I didn't lose because I made a poor choice, quite the opposite, I was making all the RIGHT choices. But the game decided to screw me with RNG.

You should be able to repair hull without the aid of a store, flat out, that NEEDS to be in the game for it to be playable. Without that, its a waste of time, and vastly more frustrating that it is fun.