Removing citizenship

dreng3

Elite Member
Aug 23, 2011
Country
Denmark
Why should they be seized? Surely making it so the ownership of the business has to be given to someone else in that business would be a more just option?

What point are laws if they can be arbitrarily handwaved on a case by case basis?
I'm okay with the first option, sure.

Most places already have different tax brackets so it wouldn't really be any more arbitrary than what is already happening. The idea of someone Ratcliffe hoarding wealth for seemingly no purpose other than hoarding wealth is detestable, and no effort he, or anyone with the same level of income, makes can justify that kind of income.
However, I think the two of us have quite different ideals when it comes issues like billionaires and wealth, so we're probably not likely to reach any sort of agreement.
I, for one, stand firmly in the camp of billionaires being a concept that has no place in the modern world and any excuse provided for them, such as philanthropic efforts, still fade in contrast to the usefulness of proper taxation.

Reactions: MrCalavera

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
What are the requirements for gaining citizenship in the UK?
There are several. One of them is pay a lot of fucking money.

Edit: actually, maybe that's just residency. But residency converts to citizenship after a few years, so even if so its close to the same thing.

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
He invested in the past, and now he's just squatting on financial asset. He could sell those shares to someone else, and what would it really matter?
Having an active interest and prioritizing the company over liquidation or transfer of assets I'd say matters a lot. It implicates Ratcliffe is not in it for the short term gain but prioritizes company growth and share value which is beneficial for both Ineos and the British economy. His wealth as such also stands in the service of the public good.

Ineos makes about £2 billion profit a year. Ratcliffe owns 60% of Ineos, which means in effect £1.2 billion of that profit is his. I'm well aware that's technically Ineos' money not his... but it kind of is the basic reality, and reflected in his net worth. So that's how much Ratcliffe is making a year (even if it's not cash in his pockets), and we can see from records that he paid about £110 million in tax... which is a rate of under 10%.
Like I said those 60% shares aren't liquidated so they serve the interests of both Ineos and the British economy. Why should it be charged to his income? That makes no sense at all.

Seems like an amazing deal to me.
Yeah, so amazing that he pays a fraction of that in Monaco. And before anyone scapegoats Monaco, the U.K. and most other developed countries do the same with dividend tax to attract foreign investors.

That's the way it's supposed to work. People with stupendous quantities of money underwrite the needs of others with much less. Even if just from a pragmatic perspective that otherwise, if nothing else, those others collect pitchforks and torches and burn down their mansions. Never mind that this could be a Communism, and Ratcliffe could have literally zero opportunity to make much money at all. He can be very thankful the society he operates in allows him to, and he can pay a premium for being one of the main beneficiaries of how we have allowed society to operate.
For what should Ratcliffe be thankful if Ineos is an important contributor to the U.K.''s competitive edge in the European chemical industry? Shouldn't the society be thankful for Ratcliffe for creating that value and Ineos' contributions to the British economy?

Well, it partly is. Because when super-rich people and corporations evade tax, they come after the people in the middle who can't to pay the bills.
If you think the middle incomes would be taxed lower if the few billionaires paid a bit more then you're being very naive. The private income from billionaires is chump change compared to the state securities sold to equity firms. It's easy for politicians to point their finger at any rich person for easy points but really that isn't the problem. The reason middle incomes are taxed out the ass is because they can't go anywhere. Their income is from their job, their 'wealth' is in their shitty mortgage and most likely they are married with children. Compare that to the real money from investment and equity firms and suddenly they get charged a minimum of dividend tax. Why? Simple, governments are in their debt and they are one step higher in the hierarchy and not bound to one specific place.

You are dead wrong. The UK has one of the lowest top rate income tax rates in the developed world.
For reasons I mentioned in my previous post; compared to dividend tax it's very high.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
Stripping citizenship:

Is this because they're stripping citizenship from people who left the UK and renounced their citizenship to join literal terrorist groups?

And people are mad now because the terrorists lost and are trying to come crawling back again?

The international rules are clear the UK can do it as long as they wouldn't be left stateless and have another recognised nationality.

It's not just been the UK refusing to take people back from what I hear it's just the UK that is seeing people drum up a fuss about it because it's a young-ish woman involved.

Agema

Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
It's not just been the UK refusing to take people back from what I hear it's just the UK that is seeing people drum up a fuss about it because it's a young-ish woman involved.
The UK bred these terrorists. It should have the responsibilty to pick up its own trash rather than leave it to others to deal with.

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
The UK bred these terrorists. It should have the responsibilty to pick up its own trash rather than leave it to others to deal with.
Mmmm. Even if someone has dual citizenship so removing one wouldn't render them stateless, it is rather diplomatically unsporting to simply foist them onto nations in which they may have only resided briefly, or have any connection to offences they committed.

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
The Netherlands has similar problem with isis prisoners in Kurdish camps. They wasted every opportunity given to them and self-radicalized on the internet. I think there is only a responsibility to the children though it is inhumane to separate them from their mothers but ofcourse they made their own choice. I read stories about children in those camps dying from easily treatable infections, losing limbs or being so distressed they are no longer able to speak or play. These children are so traumatized they can never develop normally anymore. Genuinely heartbreaking.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
And they made it clear they didn't want to be in the UK and wanted to try and live their dream of creating a new state. The UK bred them and said people were so against the UK they literally joined terrorist groups overseas which planned attacks on the UK and other nations.

Let the nations they committed crimes in charge them for the crimes and be able to show justice being done there.

Agema

Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
And they made it clear they didn't want to be in the UK and wanted to try and live their dream of creating a new state. The UK bred them and said people were so against the UK they literally joined terrorist groups overseas which planned attacks on the UK and other nations.
It depends on the individual. At one end there are willing participants enthused by the prospect of violence. At the other end there are painfully naive and pretty stupid children who were psychologically manipulated. Whatever, they're our citizens even if wayward, and seeing as we believe in equality before the law, they merit the same rights as any of us. If we deem it appropriate to lock them up in a prison for the rest of their lives, so be it.

Let the nations they committed crimes in charge them for the crimes and be able to show justice being done there.
Given we're talking about Syria, is that the world's least funny joke you're making?

Agema

Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Having an active interest and prioritizing the company over liquidation or transfer of assets I'd say matters a lot. It implicates Ratcliffe is not in it for the short term gain but prioritizes company growth and share value which is beneficial for both Ineos and the British economy. His wealth as such also stands in the service of the public good.
None of this explains why he shouldn't pay taxes.

Like I said those 60% shares aren't liquidated so they serve the interests of both Ineos and the British economy. Why should it be charged to his income? That makes no sense at all.
I have no idea what his precise, declared income was. But he's clearly making a huge amount of money. If he's making money, why should he not be taxed on it?

Yeah, so amazing that he pays a fraction of that in Monaco. And before anyone scapegoats Monaco, the U.K. and most other developed countries do the same with dividend tax to attract foreign investors.

UK dividend tax actually seems to be quite high. Although of course, there might be all sorts of loopholes and deductables in terms of actual liabilities.

For what should Ratcliffe be thankful if Ineos is an important contributor to the U.K.''s competitive edge in the European chemical industry? Shouldn't the society be thankful for Ratcliffe for creating that value and Ineos' contributions to the British economy?
My thankfulness to productive people does not extent to letting them off tax. Why should it? I'm productive and have to pay it. Everyone I know with a job is productive and has to pay it.

Why do you think Ratcliffe shouldn't have to pay tax?

If you think the middle incomes would be taxed lower if the few billionaires paid a bit more then you're being very naive.
Estimates are that tax evasion/avoidance by the rich and corporations is at least 5% and maybe as high as 10% of government tax revenue. I'd think most people in the country would happily benefit from an extra 5-10% off their tax bill rather than guys who already have a few hundred million quid in the bank.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
What does thankfulness have to do with paying less tax? Do we write off tax to thank people?

Contributing to society doesn't earn you brownie points you can use to exempt yourself from tax. That's just a sure-fire way to shift the burden of tax onto the poor, who do not have the means to create multi-billion-pound companies to "contribute" in the same way.

If you think the middle incomes would be taxed lower if the few billionaires paid a bit more then you're being very naive. The private income from billionaires is chump change compared to the state securities sold to equity firms. It's easy for politicians to point their finger at any rich person for easy points but really that isn't the problem. The reason middle incomes are taxed out the ass is because they can't go anywhere. Their income is from their job, their 'wealth' is in their shitty mortgage and most likely they are married with children. Compare that to the real money from investment and equity firms and suddenly they get charged a minimum of dividend tax. Why? Simple, governments are in their debt and they are one step higher in the hierarchy and not bound to one specific place.
It's a bit of an irrelevance whether Ratcliffe's money is "chump change" when compared to other insanely-lucrative companies such as equity firms. What matters is that either of them, or both of them, have the ability to shoulder the country's finances much more than they do, and are being allowed not to.

Quibbling that we should be taxing that billionaire more than this billionaire is a distracting game.

Agema

Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
What does thankfulness have to do with paying less tax? Do we write off tax to thank people?
This is what I just don't get. Apparently, it's not enough that people can make more than they can reasonably spend, that they get knighthoods and whatever other public honours. Somehow all that isn't reward enough, we should also not bother to tax them. It's straight out of an Ayn Rand fantasy.

dreng3

Elite Member
Aug 23, 2011
Country
Denmark
This is what I just don't get. Apparently, it's not enough that people can make more than they can reasonably spend, that they get knighthoods and whatever other public honours. Somehow all that isn't reward enough, we should also not bother to tax them. It's straight out of an Ayn Rand fantasy.
Not only that, the wealthy are idolized to an almost terrifying degree. The worship of the "leader" and "self-made men" is scary, and as long as they don't commit actual crimes people are willing to forgive and forget. Those paying no taxes are just wise for recognizing the loopholes and it is the fault of legislators for not closing said loopholes. People who're overworked and underpaid live in a free market and should just look for another job. People refuse to place blame at the feet of the wealthy.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Not only that, the wealthy are idolized to an almost terrifying degree. The worship of the "leader" and "self-made men" is scary, and as long as they don't commit actual crimes people are willing to forgive and forget.
You don't really need to add "as long as they don't commit actual crimes" there, usually works just as well without that.

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
None of this explains why he shouldn't pay taxes.
But he did though. Like you said he paid about 120 million in personal income tax. Really, I'd like to see anyone else who makes this kind of contribution to government spendthrift.

I have no idea what his precise, declared income was. But he's clearly making a huge amount of money. If he's making money, why should he not be taxed on it?
Besides income tax how much have Ratcliffe contributed to the U.K.'s economy with Ineos, it's export position, employment opportunities, local suppliers and essential industry? Indirectly he contributed much more than just tax income. He created enduring value that the British economy continues to profit from.

UK dividend tax actually seems to be quite high. Although of course, there might be all sorts of loopholes and deductables in terms of actual liabilities.
Like I said most amount of money is made by foreign equity firms and private investors that pay little to anything of dividend withholding tax. The tax rates you mention is for U.K. residents which I mentioned in previous post; location and labor is heavily taxed but foreign equity and investments(ie the real money) very low. Precisely for those reasons of investment climate and government dependence on the capital markets.

My thankfulness to productive people does not extent to letting them off tax. Why should it? I'm productive and have to pay it. Everyone I know with a job is productive and has to pay it.
Why do you think Ratcliffe shouldn't have to pay tax?
I don't think that's really a point of contention. The question in this case is what income tax is reasonable. You have to admit almost half your personal income confiscated by the state is rather excessive.

Estimates are that tax evasion/avoidance by the rich and corporations is at least 5% and maybe as high as 10% of government tax revenue. I'd think most people in the country would happily benefit from an extra 5-10% off their tax bill rather than guys who already have a few hundred million quid in the bank.
Sure. Loopholes, offshore accounts and fiscal christmas trees happen but the bulk of deductible income isn't from residents it's from foreign stake holders ie pension funds, equity firms, private investors. I do agree residents should pay the taxes they are due but it doesn't address the structural problem that personal income and location is heavily taxed but not so much corporate profits from investment capital and public and private shares. It really makes no sense at all that central banks sell the state deficit as securities to foreign investors and loan like a crazy person by suppressing the interest rates with implicit political improval and the only objection is a symbolic one when some rich bloke escapes to Monaco to pay less income tax.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
But he did though. Like you said he paid about 120 million in personal income tax. Really, I'd like to see anyone else who makes this kind of contribution to government spendthrift.
Right, he did in the past. This thread is about his moving away precisely to avoid doing that in the present and future.

If you've paid tax one year, that doesn't mean you don't have to next year.

Besides income tax how much have Ratcliffe contributed to the U.K.'s economy with Ineos, it's export position, employment opportunities, local suppliers and essential industry? Indirectly he contributed much more than just tax income. He created enduring value that the British economy continues to profit from.
So what?

Seriously, so what? Firstly, he didn't make that contribution personally; his company did, which is composed of 20,000+ people. It's a specious argument to say he alone should reap personal rewards for the sum of that work. Unless you also believe the developers, salespeople, and various other executives should also receive exemptions from tax, by benefit of some vaguely-defined and unquantifiable economic contribution.

Secondly, this contribution doesn't somehow exempt somebody from paying tax. Why on earth would it? He's received enormous compensation already for his work; that's what he did it for, that was the agreed reward for thrift in a market economy. We don't bend the law and gift legal exemptions so the state can thank businesses for existing.

Like I said most amount of money is made by foreign equity firms and private investors that pay little to anything of dividend withholding tax.
A complete irrelevance to the current argument. Tax them too.

This is equivalent to saying my neighbour makes more money than me, so I shouldn't pay any tax. No.

dreng3

Elite Member
Aug 23, 2011
Country
Denmark
You don't really need to add "as long as they don't commit actual crimes" there, usually works just as well without that.
True, I should've probably specified that I meant crimes involving physical harm or violence directly perpetrated by the wealthy. We're, luckily, still fairly willing to condemn the wealthy for peadophilia, murders, and, sometimes, spousal abuse. Unfortunately they can often afford to hide such crimes, but that wasn't the point of my complaint anyway.

Agema

Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
And so what?

I am integral part of teaching medical professionals, who go on to practice medicine and save people's lives - including people like James Ratcliffe. In this, I am contributing to the economic health of the nation, indirectly facilitating the ability of the workforce to stay healthy. I am (theoretically) paid commensurately with my benefit to society. So is James Ratcliffe. I don't give a monkeys that society deems his contribution to society greater than mine, and he's paid extraordinarily handsomely for it. But why do we need to give him any more special favours? Isn't 20 billion enough?

I don't think that's really a point of contention. The question in this case is what income tax is reasonable. You have to admit almost half your personal income confiscated by the state is rather excessive.
It's never, ever, half the income. £12.5k is untaxable, then (including NI) up to ~£50k at 32%, then £50-150k at 42%, and >£150k at 47%. This means someone on 20k is taxed £1500 (<10%). Someone on £50k is taxed £12k (<25%), someone on £150k is taxed £54k (36%), and someone with £1M salary pays £454k (45%). And that's even without other aspects, such as the fact some of these salaries go to pension, which has tax relief. Those people who earn hundreds of thousands are basically guaranteed to have income streams (dividends, capital gains, forms of bonuses) with lower tax rates, so the headline income tax rate is hopelessly misleading.

That's why they construct graphs of the total tax liabilities of income groups, including all taxes (including sales / VAT). In fact, the total tax liability is about 30% average for all income groups except the super-rich, where it's lower.

And no, I don't think ~30% tax remotely unreasonable. I wouldn't consider even consider ~50% unreasonable, as long as it pays for stuff. When you say it's "unreasonable" for the government to tax its people, what you mean is it should let old people starve and the poor go without healthcare, because that is the practical end result.

Sure. Loopholes, offshore accounts and fiscal christmas trees happen but the bulk of deductible income isn't from residents it's from foreign stake holders ie pension funds, equity firms, private investors. I do agree residents should pay the taxes they are due but it doesn't address the structural problem that personal income and location is heavily taxed but not so much corporate profits from investment capital and public and private shares. It really makes no sense at all that central banks sell the state deficit as securities to foreign investors and loan like a crazy person by suppressing the interest rates with implicit political improval and the only objection is a symbolic one when some rich bloke escapes to Monaco to pay less income tax.
Sure. I have no objections whatsoever to taxing James Ratcliffe thoroughly after he goes to Monaco, either.

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
Well there isn't anything pleasant or productive to contribute to this discussion, despite having a lot i am tempted to say towards this expected, excused and encouraged behaviour (why all "e's"?) we will no doubt be seeing a lot more of as this country spirals blindly down the shitter singing the national blandthem. He would look rather nice and succulent on a barbeque however. I haven't had a carvery in years.