Renaming Earth, because its a boring name.

GrimTuesday

May 21, 2009
As I sit in my room, listening to the rain and waiting for sleep to take me, I started to think about the universe, and then, more narrowly, about our own little blue marble amongst the stars. Now, I may be alone in this but I think that the name Earth is a fucking boring. If it were left up to me, I would rename it Terra, and instead of being humans, we would be Terrans. Its just more interesting that being from boring old earth, instead, we would be Terrans, with our goliaths and vultures, and mighty Terran empire (or confederacy for those less inclined to Imperialism).

So what you you rename this fine planet of ours?

Boris Goodenough

Jul 15, 2009
Terra is older than Earth though. And technically it's still called Terra. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth

isometry

Mar 17, 2010
"Terra" is latin, but I prefer ancient greek in general, so for the purpose of this thread I prefer "Gaia."

Altorin

Jack of No Trades
May 16, 2008
Umm, isn't the earth already called Terra?

I would call it Smorgleborgle

So we'd be Smorgleborglians.

Edited for niceness, I wasn't trying to be mean, just sounded that way, lol

Generalissimo

Your Commander-in-Chief
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
UK
Regnes said:
The Earth's proper name is Terra, just like The Sun's name is actually Helios.
incorrect. it's "sol"

anyway, terra would waork fine for me. just nothing rediculous.

GrimTuesday

May 21, 2009
Boris Goodenough said:
Terra is older than Earth though. And technically it's still called Terra. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth
Well, obviously, its the Latin name for earth, however, its fallen mostly out of use these days, and I'd be surprised if you could find many people knew that these days, so it would pretty much be renaming it in the eyes of your average person.

Keoul

Apr 4, 2010
Name it Yggdrasil (tree of life)
Interpret it however you want but I just like the spelling of it and how the name rolls off the tongue.

GrimTuesday

May 21, 2009
Keoul said:
Name it Yggdrasil (tree of life)
Interpret it however you want but I just like the spelling of it and how the name rolls off the tongue.
Wouldn't it make more sense to name it Midgard?

Esotera

May 5, 2011
I think it'd have to be the full Latin, Terra Firma...it has a cool ring to it. And as a species humanity is a cool enough name that we don't need to change it, we could always be called Terrans in galactic slang.

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
Nouw said:
Holy Terra is the only suitable name for 'Earth.'
Heretic! The Imperial Truth does not deal in your religious views!

And anyway, to be "Holy Terra" you'd need the corpse of a omnipotent being sitting on an incredibly complex machine deep in the Himalayan Mountains that holds the horrors of the warp at bay for all time.

IamQ

Mar 29, 2009
Well, here in Sweden the alternate name for Earth is "Tellus". Maybe that would work?

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
I prefer the Latin naming scheme. Come on, Luna is a far more elegant name than Moon. And Holy Terra shall be the bastion of the Astronomicon!

Jan 13, 2012
Hmmmmm.... I could get behind this. "Planet Terra". Yeah people will look at me funny but I will look at them funny for not knowing how awesome it sounds.

Captcha: I want control....... I certainly do.