Renaming Earth, because its a boring name.

Havegun

Sep 26, 2011
"Herpaderp, let's call it the same, but in latin."

I'm not particularly bothered with Earth's name, but Sol-3 makes sense.

DrgoFx

Aug 30, 2011
GrimTuesday said:
As I sit in my room, listening to the rain and waiting for sleep to take me, I started to think about the universe, and then, more narrowly, about our own little blue marble amongst the stars. Now, I may be alone in this but I think that the name Earth is a fucking boring. If it were left up to me, I would rename it Terra, and instead of being humans, we would be Terrans. Its just more interesting that being from boring old earth, instead, we would be Terrans, with our goliaths and vultures, and mighty Terran empire (or confederacy for those less inclined to Imperialism).

So what you you rename this fine planet of ours?
Terribly sorry, but I'll be using Mass Effect real quick. Your statement of us being renamed Terrans is for what? Our planet is Terra?

Quarians are from Rannoch.
Turians are from Palaven.
Krogans are from Tuchanka.
Humans are from Earth.

I do agree Earth is a boring name, but humans sound just fine.

GameMaNiAC

Sep 8, 2010
'Holy Terra [http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Terra]' is the only name I'd want to give it.

chadachada123

Jan 17, 2011
I've always used Latin names when talking in an astronomical or cosmological sense, or just to try and increase its usage.

Terra, Sol, Luna. My favorite names.

Edit: Upon reflection, I'd also go with Keith. But only if our sun gets a cool name like Sarah.

ED-Tw0 ZeRo N9nE

Jan 12, 2012
Pinkie-Pie-Party said:
Doc Slingblade said:
Haha, oh I have plenty of them myself, no worries. Well it's a very dry sarcastic kind of humour, I'd recommend watching an episode or two( 'Tim's not singing is a good one) and if you don't like them, it's all pretty similar :)

OT: Now that you have brought it to my attention, Tim would be another great name for this little planet of ours: Planet Tim!
Eh, I'd have to be an Egomaniac to want that, so I think I'll pass. Having the entire planet named after me would be weird. I might check that show out sometime though I'm not sure if I'd like it.

I should have put this in the previous post, but too late now. Anyway, since you mentioned that you liked my username, I guess I could tell you why I'm using it. It's a combination between two separate monikers I got branded with while in the military. Slingblade because apparently I have a deep southern accent (like in the movie) which I'd never noticed before Californians felt the need to constantly point it out to me. I got the Doc one because someone seemed to think that I look like a younger Doc Brown from Back to the Future. Needless to say, I wasn't fond of either for the longest time, but once you're branded, you can never get away from it. Eventually I just got used to it.

Fast forward a few years, and you have me registering an account for the Escapist. Not being able to think up anything better at the time, I used this as a temporary solution. I've had other usernames elsewhere on the net, but I've grown tired of those over time. If anyone has any better ideas for a good username, I'm open to suggestions. Since I'm no doubt derailing the thread, I think I should stop here, my apologies to the OP for this as well as the wall-o-text.

matts

Feb 13, 2012
Warped_Ghost said:
IamQ said:
Well, here in Sweden the alternate name for Earth is "Tellus". Maybe that would work?
Sorry it is too close to telus which is my phone company.
Its really just another form of terra anyway.
By the way, from the Wikipedia article

"The two words Terra and Tellus are thought to derive from the formulaic phrase tersa tellus, meaning "dry land"; it may also be related to the similar sounding name of the equivalent Etruscan goddess Cel."

As a brony my first thought was hmmm... Cel-lestia
lol

(and yes I know what celestial means)

Thespian

Sep 11, 2010
Can we call it Midgard instead?

Ooh, or Planet Doom. That's a planet you don't fuck with.

When we encounter an intergalactic community, we'll be grateful for naming ourselves that.

Jaden Kazega

Nov 12, 2011
Let's rename it "Target" and then paint a massive collection of red circles on the surface. The aliens will know where to hit when they come to invade us. =P

Muspelheim

Apr 7, 2011
I say we construct a massive top-hat above the north pole, a monocle over the pacific and a pair of ripping good sideburns.

Planet of the Gentle(mentle)men!

Piorn

Dec 26, 2007
In case the aliens finally show up, I'd most likely want them to call us Terrans, from Terra. Earthlings sounds stupid.

Eridani74

Sep 13, 2010
Just say earth enough that you reach [url http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semantic_satiation] Semantic satiation.[/url] It'll sound more interesting then.