Repeatedly Leaving Competitive Overwatch Games Could Get You Banned for the Whole Season

NickBrahz

Mar 30, 2011
bjj hero said:
I can't believe everyone thinks this is great. What about real life?

I'm not a teenager anymore, I'm an adult with responsibilities and playing games is not the most important thing in life.

So if I play in the evening and my son wakes up in the night upset or unwell I'm can either let him fend for himself or risk the wrath of blizzard?

Can we remember this is a game?
Never understood why people like punishment systems in games, it's a game people leave for a lot of reasons and punishing players for doing so is stupid.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
bjj hero said:

I'm not a teenager anymore, I'm an adult with responsibilities and playing games is not the most important thing in life.

So if I play in the evening and my son wakes up in the night upset or unwell I'm can either let him fend for himself or risk the wrath of blizzard?

It's not like leaving once does this, you have to do it a few times in a row, but you need to remember it also affects other people who are playing. I'm not going to pretend I know the challenges of being a parent, I have no kids. Perhaps play until something like that happens, then maybe switch to a non multiplayer game? It's what a good friend of mine does, he has a kid, not quite one year old yet. I know it would be frustrating, but it's just a suggestion.

The reason people like this, and I'm not against it either, is because we've all had people leave a game and then you get steamrolled, being just one player down can do this. I'm sure when you're playing, you would dislike losing four games in a row because of this? I had it happen yesterday, had an hour before I had to go to work, ended up losing each match in part because someone left toward the end of each match. It's frustrating for everyone on that team, and those that end up joining just as you lose as well.

There is no perfect solution to this, but I think it's a step in a the right direction. Yes, it is a game, a multiplayer game. Where other people are involved, so they need to put things in place to make sure as many people enjoy it as possible.

For the record, this not a dig at you. Props for being an awesome parent and prioritizing your little one. I know a couple of people who don't do that while gaming as well...

step1999

Mar 11, 2010
bjj hero said:

The point of competitive play is that it's meant to be for when you want to take the game seriously and have a lot of free time on your hands (each individual match can last up to 20 minutes, even longer if Overtime goes on forever like it sometimes does in really close matches). This penalty does not apply to Quick Play, which is the main mode. QP has an XP drop for quitting often, but it doesn't stop you from playing and XP is just for cosmetics anyway. If you have to leave CP matches that often, you're better off playing QP anyway since you probably don't have as much free time and focus as CP players will want you to.

TL;DR People with a lot of time on their hands seem to be the intended audience for Competitive Play (also I probably came off harsher than I meant to, sorry)

Infernal Lawyer

Jan 28, 2013
bjj hero said:

As has already been said, the punishments are for leaving a COMPETITIVE match. If you think you're likely to need to bail, play a standard match.

Even then, you're only going to get smacked if you leave early multiple times. Sometimes real life hits us when we're trying to relax, yes, but if it's extremely likely to happen then it's only common courtesy not to play in a mode clearly labeled for those who want to take the "just a game" a bit more seriously.

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
Infernal Lawyer said:
Sometimes real life hits us when we're trying to relax, yes, but if it's extremely likely to happen then it's only common courtesy not to play in a mode clearly labeled for those who want to take the "just a game" a bit more seriously.
With a wife and young child interuption comes at any time.

Infernal Lawyer

Jan 28, 2013
bjj hero said:
Infernal Lawyer said:
Sometimes real life hits us when we're trying to relax, yes, but if it's extremely likely to happen then it's only common courtesy not to play in a mode clearly labeled for those who want to take the "just a game" a bit more seriously.
With a wife and young child interuption comes at any time.
And like I said, these systems DO compensate for this fact of life... up to a point. Again, these systems don't punish you IF it happens irregularly.

I'm sorry, but the fact of the matter is Competitive modes in general are for people who want to take the game seriously and don't want to have to constantly put up with leavers. It's not fair to everyone else if you have to regularly bail, even for emergencies.

If it's "just a game brah", then play on casual mode. Problem solved.

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
Infernal Lawyer said:
If it's "just a game brah", then play on casual mode. Problem solved.
And why the comment on undergarments? Does anyone really say "Brah"?

Cap'nPipsqueak

Jul 2, 2016
Denamic said:
DeliveryGodNoah said:
Also I get disconnected all the time, even though my ping is steady at 30ms all the time. Would I get penalized?
Yes, and rightly so.
Yes, because it's entirely his fault that his internet connection, a thing he has almost no control over whatsoever (including knowledge of when or if it might crash) keeps dropping him out.

Given that logic, maybe he should never play again.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
Cap said:
Denamic said:
DeliveryGodNoah said:
Also I get disconnected all the time, even though my ping is steady at 30ms all the time. Would I get penalized?
Yes, and rightly so.
Yes, because it's entirely his fault that his internet connection, a thing he has almost no control over whatsoever (including knowledge of when or if it might crash) keeps dropping him out.

Given that logic, maybe he should never play again.
Given that logic, he shouldn't play competitive online games when he knows his connection is going to drop.

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
bjj hero said:

I'm assuming the people who are happy about this are happy that those who disconnect in the middle of the match due to no other real life obligations other than 'my team sucks' are well aware that sometimes shit happens and you need to leave.

Granted games like Overwatch don't lend to being budding family or heavy work friendly, the same way MMO's like WoW isn't really suited for people that actually need to make a living interacting with the outside world.
At that point you just have to either accept that Blizzard will cater more towards those people or realize that you can't really play these kinds of games anymore. (Or just try and set up friend matches with people that understand your situation.)