Report: Apple Unveiling New Hardware at October Event

Sarah LeBoeuf

New member
Apr 28, 2011
2,084
0
0
Report: Apple Unveiling New Hardware at October Event



Retina iMac desktops and the next generation of iPads may be announced in less than two weeks.

Apple may have only Re/code [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/137543-Man-Drops-First-iPhone-6-in-Perth-Australia], Apple's next big announcements are coming on October 16: the next generation of iPad models and iMac desktops with Retina displays.

The website Digital Trends [http://9to5mac.com/2014/09/29/retina-imacs-with-os-x-yosemite-in-late-testing-within-apple-could-launch-soon/] points out, new iMacs might receive a graphics card boost, since they're currently loaded with the slightly outdated Nvidia 700M series.

Though unconfirmed, this aligns with a previous report [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/136378-Report-Apple-OS-X-Yosemite-Due-in-October-with-New-MacBook-4K-Desktop] that OS X Yosemite would launch alongside a 4K Apple desktop in October, along with a 12" MacBook Air. Either way, we'll find out soon enough: October 16 is less than two weeks away.

Source: Digital Trends [http://recode.net/2014/10/03/codered-apple-to-hold-ipad-event-on-october-16/]

Permalink
 

Thedutchjelle

New member
Mar 31, 2009
785
0
0
Meanwhile no one seemed to care that they ditched the awesome almighty iPod Classic. Apple didn't notify anyone of that, they just vanished.

So I had to snatch one last-minute as my previous one just died end August. I wish Apple would just stop doing wtf it's doing *unlikely as it makes them boatloads of money) and focus on making good machines again.. I don't know. Been using a Mac since I've been using computers but I feel they're not for me anymore. I need an account to update my computer programs. There is a built-in application store. Their iMacs don't have DVD drives by default. They make them slimmer and slimmer but for what reason God knows.

Still glad i got an iMac because the screen is awesome, but I doubt I'll pick up another one anytime in the near future.
 

Nowhere Man

New member
Mar 10, 2013
422
0
0
Thedutchjelle said:
Meanwhile no one seemed to care that they ditched the awesome almighty iPod Classic. Apple didn't notify anyone of that, they just vanished.

So I had to snatch one last-minute as my previous one just died end August. I wish Apple would just stop doing wtf it's doing *unlikely as it makes them boatloads of money) and focus on making good machines again.. I don't know. Been using a Mac since I've been using computers but I feel they're not for me anymore. I need an account to update my computer programs. There is a built-in application store. Their iMacs don't have DVD drives by default. They make them slimmer and slimmer but for what reason God knows.

Still glad i got an iMac because the screen is awesome, but I doubt I'll pick up another one anytime in the near future.
I've been a Mac user since 1999 and my next computer will be a Windows/Linux built myself for the same reasons (and more) you mentioned.
 

008Zulu_v1legacy

New member
Sep 6, 2009
6,019
0
0
The new iPads are made out of construction paper, and when it creases, you'll be blamed for not using it right.
 

EvolutionKills

New member
Jul 20, 2008
197
0
0
Nowhere Man said:
Thedutchjelle said:
Meanwhile no one seemed to care that they ditched the awesome almighty iPod Classic. Apple didn't notify anyone of that, they just vanished.

So I had to snatch one last-minute as my previous one just died end August. I wish Apple would just stop doing wtf it's doing *unlikely as it makes them boatloads of money) and focus on making good machines again.. I don't know. Been using a Mac since I've been using computers but I feel they're not for me anymore. I need an account to update my computer programs. There is a built-in application store. Their iMacs don't have DVD drives by default. They make them slimmer and slimmer but for what reason God knows.

Still glad i got an iMac because the screen is awesome, but I doubt I'll pick up another one anytime in the near future.
I've been a Mac user since 1999 and my next computer will be a Windows/Linux built myself for the same reasons (and more) you mentioned.
Even since Apple abandoned their hardware seclusion, and started using off-the-shelf PC components along with an OS that would recognize them, I have utterly failed to see the appeal of Apple desktops. Unless you like paying an exorbitant sum for an admittedly sleek form factor. Just build a PC, partition one of your drives, and dual boot into OSX (Hackintosh!). You get to pick exactly what goes into your machine, and Steve Jobs isn't going to rise from his grave and waggle his finger at you for opening up the box and messing around with the internals.

I mean, does Apple even still make dedicated professional hardware anymore? I remember they used to make dedicated video-editing machines that performed very well and could edit video in real time because of their unique architecture and hardware. They offered something that simply wasn't available anywhere else at the time. Do they still do anything like this anymore? I'm honestly curious, as I haven't used an Apple professionally since leaving art school back in 08'.
 

Kieve

New member
Jan 4, 2011
128
0
0
008Zulu said:
The new iPads are made out of construction paper, and when it creases, you'll be blamed for not using it right.
Admittedly I'm no fan of Apple to begin with, but time once was I could at least respect them for innovation and quality.
But these days? They sell a lifestyle, couched in a sleek aesthetic with a bloated price-tag. The places where their "product" is still returning its value are largely digital at this point - namely iTunes and their App Store - and it's those same institutions that basically hold its users hostage to whatever else they cough up.

I'm not so much trying to hate on Apple as I am just completely bored with them. The competition caught up, and rather than trying to push the envelope, their answer these last few years has just been "more of the same, but at higher resolution and a higher price point." I miss the days when I could look at those oddly-colorful iMacs [http://theprojectmanagementguide.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/pmg-imacs01.jpg] and be impressed.

Captcha: "picture perfect" - Why thank you, Captcha, I thought it was fitting as well.
 

prpshrt

New member
Jun 18, 2012
260
0
0
Better not release a new apple tv... Just bought the damn thing. The iMacs however, I could care less about :|
 

Alluos

New member
Nov 7, 2010
219
0
0
They should really start fixing the products they already have before releasing more junk to sell...
 

clippen05

New member
Jul 10, 2012
529
0
0
A new line of products that are inferior to their competitors but priced 2x as much? Oh joy, I'm so excited.
 

Hairless Mammoth

New member
Jan 23, 2013
1,595
0
0
From the comments here and bad things I've heard about post-Snow Lepeard OS X versions, it seems like Apple is starting to not care about its once core audience. They are becoming a "devices and services" company faster than Microsoft. It's more profitable for them to sell music, movies, game, applications and tv shows on itunes and make a few sealed, hard to repair mobile devices that help drive that sales model, rather than make useful computers anymore.
Thedutchjelle said:
Been using a Mac since I've been using computers but I feel they're not for me anymore. I need an account to update my computer programs. There is a built-in application store. Their iMacs don't have DVD drives by default. They make them slimmer and slimmer but for what reason God knows.

Still glad i got an iMac because the screen is awesome, but I doubt I'll pick up another one anytime in the near future.
Really? They don't have optical drives anymore? I had to go their site and see it for myself. Yep, no drive and the imac is so thin, it looks like a jumbo ipad hooked to a(n overpriced) stand. It doesn't even look like there's any access port on the bottom for RAM or HDD exchanging anymore. I guess they're trying to get people to buy programs and media directly from them and nickle and dime anyone who wants to install a program from a DVD or use a music CD or DVD or make their own discs with a $80 usb super drive. (Also, anyone with the new imac can have fun if their hard rive dies and they have to take it to a "genius" to fix it, when all it used to take is having(or ordering for far cheaper that Apple charges) a spare HDD and a small screwdriver.)

Along with the Mac Pro's new design (Why does it have to be super quiet? It's a work machine.) taking away almost all internal customization and upgrade options, this proves that either their business model is turning even more towards "make sure they buy a new one every couple years" or their product designers and engineers are so confused about what kind of products they make that they're fusing them together (probably both). Their hardware sector is aimless, and the Board isn't fixing that since itunes and the App store is blinding them with more money to buy the innovating start-ups.
 

Shamanic Rhythm

New member
Dec 6, 2009
1,653
0
0
EvolutionKills said:
I mean, does Apple even still make dedicated professional hardware anymore? I remember they used to make dedicated video-editing machines that performed very well and could edit video in real time because of their unique architecture and hardware. They offered something that simply wasn't available anywhere else at the time. Do they still do anything like this anymore? I'm honestly curious, as I haven't used an Apple professionally since leaving art school back in 08'.
The new Mac Pro isn't what you'd call 'dedicated', but it's so beastly that you could conceivably edit 4k video in real time on three goddamn monitors.

OT: Call me when something interesting happens, these latest Apple consumer announcements have been vary drab.
 

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
8,407
0
0
so even apple stopped believing in their "Retina is eye resolution" crap? since you know they are now raising it again. well at least they got one thing right. if only they could actually make anything good out of it.

Kieve said:
Captcha: "picture perfect" - Why thank you, Captcha, I thought it was fitting as well.
do you always comment with tigers? because thats awesome.

McMarbles said:
Innovation really did die with Jobs.
you mean stealing other peoples ideas and patenting as your own die with Jobs? because i dont believe that.

Shamanic Rhythm said:
The new Mac Pro isn't what you'd call 'dedicated', but it's so beastly that you could conceivably edit 4k video in real time on three goddamn monitors.

OT: Call me when something interesting happens, these latest Apple consumer announcements have been vary drab.
The new trashcan [http://rudypospisil.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/prattTrashCan_macPro.jpg] Mac Pro is a beastly server. its also got some amazing thermal properties (it heats up like hell and manage to cool itself to quite amazing levels. but thats kinda all it is - useful for heavy video editors and the line, overpriced thing for anyone else thats better off with regular desktop. thats kinda been the problem with apple hardware in general. they tend to use server grade hardware for home use products.

EvolutionKills said:
I mean, does Apple even still make dedicated professional hardware anymore? I remember they used to make dedicated video-editing machines that performed very well and could edit video in real time because of their unique architecture and hardware. They offered something that simply wasn't available anywhere else at the time. Do they still do anything like this anymore? I'm honestly curious, as I haven't used an Apple professionally since leaving art school back in 08'.
That hardware became obsolete when regular computers caught up to be able to edit videos in real time. and as far as CGI generation farms Apple was never better than dedicated servers to begin with. Apple also no longer has software advantage for years anymore as Windows has equal quality (and often exact same) software available. only people who dont keep up with new software/hardware still cling to "apple is better for video".
 

Thedutchjelle

New member
Mar 31, 2009
785
0
0
Hairless Mammoth said:
From the comments here and bad things I've heard about post-Snow Lepeard OS X versions, it seems like Apple is starting to not care about its once core audience. They are becoming a "devices and services" company faster than Microsoft. It's more profitable for them to sell music, movies, game, applications and tv shows on itunes and make a few sealed, hard to repair mobile devices that help drive that sales model, rather than make useful computers anymore.
Thedutchjelle said:
Been using a Mac since I've been using computers but I feel they're not for me anymore. I need an account to update my computer programs. There is a built-in application store. Their iMacs don't have DVD drives by default. They make them slimmer and slimmer but for what reason God knows.

Still glad i got an iMac because the screen is awesome, but I doubt I'll pick up another one anytime in the near future.
Really? They don't have optical drives anymore? I had to go their site and see it for myself. Yep, no drive and the imac is so thin, it looks like a jumbo ipad hooked to a(n overpriced) stand. It doesn't even look like there's any access port on the bottom for RAM or HDD exchanging anymore. I guess they're trying to get people to buy programs and media directly from them and nickle and dime anyone who wants to install a program from a DVD or use a music CD or DVD or make their own discs with a $80 usb super drive. (Also, anyone with the new imac can have fun if their hard rive dies and they have to take it to a "genius" to fix it, when all it used to take is having(or ordering for far cheaper that Apple charges) a spare HDD and a small screwdriver.)

Along with the Mac Pro's new design (Why does it have to be super quiet? It's a work machine.) taking away almost all internal customization and upgrade options, this proves that either their business model is turning even more towards "make sure they buy a new one every couple years" or their product designers and engineers are so confused about what kind of products they make that they're fusing them together (probably both). Their hardware sector is aimless, and the Board isn't fixing that since itunes and the App store is blinding them with more money to buy the innovating start-ups.
I can understand the wanting silent machines part - it's one of the few reasons I still love apple machines. A silent machine while you're doing work is just very relaxing compared to a 757 jet blowing away.

However a silent machine might not draw me in the next iMac anymore. As I mentioned before I'm a long time Apple user and found that their machines, though expensive, were very fool-proof. My little brother still uses the same iMac bought in 2006 and it has had no defect so far. My first Ipod Classic worked flawlessly from 2007 to 2013 until it met Mister Laundrymachine.

The newer alluminium iMac I got (2012) in the meantime has had 4 repairs so far because the motherboard/GPU kept getting deepfried. Thank god for AppleCare I guess. The replacement Ipod I bought after the previous one got waterboarded had its headphone jack busted within a year by me wearing it in too tight jeans. Gg apple, your hardware used to be cool.

(Seriously why the fuck does a iMac needs to be thin? I'm watching it from the front, not the side. Make it 5 inches for all I care, atleast that old plastic thing never breaks down as it has adequate cooling).
 

Kieve

New member
Jan 4, 2011
128
0
0
Strazdas said:
do you always comment with tigers? because thats awesome.
I'm trying to make a habit out of it, but it's a somewhat recent development. However, I shall be doing so henceforth, unless smote with moderator wrath (or told to stop).

The world needs more tigers anyway. We're an endangered species, y'know.