Report: Colin Farrell in Talks to Star in True Detective Season Two

Alex Co

Dec 11, 2013
Report: Colin Farrell in Talks to Star in True Detective Season Two

Actor Taylor Kitsch is also said to be in the running for the younger lead role, with the second season said to be focusing on three lead characters.

In HBO's first season for True Detective, the show heavily relied on A-list actors Woody Harrelson and Matthew MccConaughey to carry the show along with series creator Nic Pizzolatto's fantastic script work. Now, it seems the anthology's second season will bring in another name with the same weight. According to multiple sources, it's been said that Colin Farrell (Total Recall, Saving Mr. Banks) is set to star in the lead "older" role. Not only that, but also rumored to be joining Farrell is Taylor Kitsch (Battleship, John Carter of Mars), who's said to be taking on the younger lead role. Sources have said that True Detective's second season will include three lead roles (two men and one woman), with Jessica Chastain (Zero Dark Thirty) once reported to have been the top choice for the female lead.

These same insiders have said that HBO was intent on landing a true "movie star" and was aiming for someone who could play "rugged and gritty" -- which, they've said to have found in Farrell, who's also going to the second season's "primary focus."

True Detective season one did not only manage an average gross audience of 11 million viewers -- the most for a new series for the network since the Six Feet Under -- but also garnered multiple Emmy awards, including lead actor nominations for both McConaughey and Harrelson.

HBO has declined to comment on the rumors but did state that the full cast will be announced soon at this week's TCA presentation. With president of programming Michael Lombardo saying, ""I think the people we will cast will be well-known names, but that wasn't our ambition (in season 1)."

As someone who highly enjoyed True Detective's debut run, I'm perfectly fine with Farrell being the main actor. Let's just hope the script is up to par and maybe get in a few more action scenes while they're at it. Which actors do you want to star in season two? And what would you want Pizzolatto do differently for the upcoming season?

Source: The Wrap [http://variety.com/2014/tv/news/colin-farrell-in-talks-for-true-detective-season-two-1201261235/]

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
That sounds pretty good to me. I've always been a fan of Farrell and would love to see him in a role like this.

Alex Co

Dec 11, 2013
StriderShinryu said:
That sounds pretty good to me. I've always been a fan of Farrell and would love to see him in a role like this.
Same. He'd be a really good fit. He has the star power and the acting chops to pull it off. I loved True Detective's first season and can't wait for the next one. :D

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Neat, I do enjoy Farrel even if he some times fucks up here and there with his role choice.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
It would be fine; all I ask is that they don't try and make him a straight man as he's a damn character actor. The choice of Kitsch is interesting as he's one of those guys that's always come off to me as having potential but kept picking AWFUL scripts like Battleship and John Carter.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
I have a love-hate relationship with Farrell. One of the only performances of his I genuinely enjoyed was Seven Psychopaths. Anyway, season one was fantastic and I really hope this next one is just as great. A little disappointed that there aren't multiple females leads like fans had been predicting, but 1/3 isn't all that bad.

Zeriah

Mar 26, 2009
There's no doubt there will be a dip in quality going from Mcconaughey - the best actor in the world right now to Colin Farrel, a guy with a very hit or miss career. Still, If the writing and directing stays the same or improves on last season this should still be a great series. Besides unless they grabbed Leonardo DiCaprio or something there was always going to be disappointment in the casting.

Fat Hippo

Prepare to be Gnomed
Legacy
May 29, 2009
Fappy said:
I have a love-hate relationship with Farrell. One of the only performances of his I genuinely enjoyed was Seven Psychopaths. Anyway, season one was fantastic and I really hope this next one is just as great. A little disappointed that there aren't multiple females leads like fans had been predicting, but 1/3 isn't all that bad.
Watch "In Bruges" then. It's fucking hilarious and my favorite Farrell movie by far. Although I don't think that sort of character would fit in all that fantastically in True Detective.

I was totally blown away by the first season, so I hope they manage to work their magic once more.

Extra-Ordinary

Elite Member
Mar 17, 2010
Huh, you know I haven't been exposed enough to Colin Farrell to come up with a predictive opinion on how it might be but I'm a glass-half-full guy, I'm sure he'll do fine.
I'm just excited for more True Detective.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
The first season was great, can't wait to see what they come up with for the second. Doesn't really matter to me who they get to star in it. :p

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
I'm sure it will be good because HBO makes good stuff but season one was the McConaughey show. It pretty much revolved around him being weird and awesome.

MM needs to at least be the Yoda to the new guy's Luke in season 2 or it won't be right.