Report: Crash Bandicoot May be Making a Comeback

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Well, I hope they do a better job than Microsoft and Rare did with Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts, and don't take the "broadening the demographics" path.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Um, isn't his absence why we have Yooka-Laylee?

If this is true, and it sounds very much like rumor at this point- way to be a brave pioneer and let an independent reassure you of the market, tough guys.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
RealRT said:
Even at its most serious Infamous wasn't nearly as dour as the last of us.
Yeah, but it's a faaaar cry from Crash Bandicoot.

Oh, you so sure about that? 'cause Sonic is still not going anywhere even if his latest game was just as much of a trainwreck as the 2006 one. Mario is a mascot and he still is a cash cow. How are Ratchet and Clank doing? Oh, yeah, they are getting a theatrical movie and a remake of their first game. Now of course a lot of mascots did fall into obscurity, but for the most part they did so after a sub-par game. Or, like Crash and Spyro, due to Activision buying them up.
Sonic survives on his status as icon of a once popular console that dared to take on Nintendo at the height of their power... and a creepy fanbase. Ratchet and Clank are barely keeping up, doing okay, but certainly not the main attraction they once were. And that theatrical movie has little to no fanfare or hype behind it, and I'm actually kind of dreading the whole thing. It seems to be hedging its bet more on Pixar appeal than on the popularity of Ratchet and Clank.

Nintendo seems to be the only one who has a good grip on their mascots. Rayman had a nice return not too long ago, but not much seems to be happening on that front anymore despite the critical acclaim.

Even without Activision buying up those franchises, both Crash and Spyro would've probably fallen into obscurity. Naughty Dog and Insomniac didn't wanna make those games anymore, and Sony would've just shipped them off to some third rate in-house developer. Maybe they could get Insomniac to return to Spyro, but I don't see Sony using one of their big name studios to take a crack at a new Crash.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
RJ Dalton said:
Were anthropomorphic animal mascots ever *really* cool, or did we just temporarily think that they were?
I don't think cool was ever the right word. Enormously commercially successful, certainly, but cool, nah.

Crash and Spyro were at least two of the best. I somehow doubt we'll ever see a Ty the Tazmanian Tiger reboot. Except on the first of April maybe.

PS, Crash 2 and 3 are great fun.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
Bob_McMillan said:
Meh. Never played it, and TBH I dont know how well people would receive AAA platformer in these times. A new Crash game is only going to sell on nostalgia power.

Unless they really change it drastically.
Actually, they shouldn't really change it and instead try to copy Crash 3 Warped for the most part, taking a cue or two from Revenge of Cortex.

fix-the-spade said:
I somehow doubt we'll ever see a Ty the Tazmanian Tiger reboot. Except on the first of April maybe.
A port of the first game and the fourth recently popped up on Steam.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Bindal said:
fix-the-spade said:
I somehow doubt we'll ever see a Ty the Tazmanian Tiger reboot. Except on the first of April maybe.
I didn't even realise there were sequels, colour me shocked indeed.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
fix-the-spade said:
Bindal said:
fix-the-spade said:
I didn't even realise there were sequels, colour me shocked indeed.
Have a look, the fourth game - http://store.steampowered.com/app/287840/
The character also has a cameo in Blade Kitten as a costume and the first game is coming to Steam in EA in March (EA probably to make it a proper port, I guess?)

Still, I wouldn't mind a new Crash Bandicoot - or just a 1:1 remake of 2 or 3. Thankfully, someone is working on it [https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_2PJ89AIBVeNTws3QBLJXA] but I have no idea if that is ever going to become a finished game.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
http://au.ign.com/articles/2016/02/14/neca-toys-says-sony-is-bringing-back-crash-bandicoot

Turns out he isn't returning, it was a misunderstanding on the official's part.

xaszatm

That Voice in Your Head
Sep 4, 2010
PunkRex said:
That's cool, I loved his older games and Mind Over Mutant was fun. Personally, if we're talking early Sony mascots, I'm still waiting on that Spyro remake.
Uh...it did...as Skylanders....sorry.