Report: Crytek Employees Refusing to Come in to Work

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
karloss01 said:
This is no way to treat the former staff of Free Rdical (former Rare staff) who made some of the best shooters of all time.
THIS is where Free Radicals staff ended up!? Oh say it aint so!!!

Oh well... I suppose Timesplitters 4 really was just a dream...

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
iseko said:
how the hell did they do that? The crytek games are very succesful are they not? To bad. They were a good studio. I'd hate to see them go.
This is what happens when you spend ungodly amounts developing an engine no one wants to license, your last game was an awful failure, you spend god knows how much developing a f2p game that only just came out a few months ago and few people seem to ever talk about, and your most successful series is just moderately successful, but not a blow out hit.

I sit in the opposite camp to you though. I won't be sad to see them go at all. They made some good engine technology, but they weren't a good game developer.

Daemascus

WAAAAAAAAAGHHH!!!!
Mar 6, 2010
Why the hell are they making another Homefront? Im pretty sure no one liked the first one, nor wants a second one.

Reaper195

Jul 5, 2009
Kotoriii said:
Time for EA to buy Crytek, so they can make some crappy cash-grab Crysis 4 and then pull the plug on this studio too.

OT: Looks like grim news. I don't think anyone wants to see Cry Engine dying.
I thought they did that with Crysis 2. And 3. Because both were shit-house compared to the first. I'm incredibly glad Ubisoft got a hold of Far Cry from them.

karloss01

Jul 5, 2009
PunkRex said:
karloss01 said:
This is no way to treat the former staff of Free Rdical (former Rare staff) who made some of the best shooters of all time.
THIS is where Free Radicals staff ended up!? Oh say it aint so!!!

Oh well... I suppose Timesplitters 4 really was just a dream...
the majority yes, I believe the founders of Free Radical went off to form a mobile app studio. and from what Crytek stated, they never seemed to have the willingness to create another Timesplitters game; at least they've allowed Timesplitters Rewind to be produced for free by the fanbase.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Ultratwinkie said:
Crytek cries about piracy, and went console focused. Then thought a huge expensive launch title would "bring in the money" on the least popular console of the entire generation.
I dont think it was the popularity of the Xbone was the sole cause for Ryse's flop, but mostly because of what it was. I remember that in the grim darkness of 2013 where Ryse was announced and there was no combat mechanic at all. Just move to an enemy and QTE would take over.

I imagine its hard to win people back when you reveal a game that has no more gameplay than the old dancemat games. And at least they made a good party game.

Aerosteam

Get out while you still can
Sep 22, 2011
"Graphics graphics graphics" ~ Crytek

Y'know, I'd be sadder if it were another developer, one than focusses on other video game elements.

Bummer on the employees though.

MCerberus

Jun 26, 2013
The main studio may surprise you every once in a while, but the brand has been more noted for its flops lately. Especially Call of Duty: Roman Warfare, and Call of Duty: Now with Microtransactions. For the latter, they just couldn't match their console competition (host of f2p games on the Playstation, not beating WoT to the market on the 360, and now they're just hoping they'll appeal to SOMEONE on Steam.

What we're seeing is that they're putting a tourniquet on costs. That'll turn gangrenous soon, followed by amputation.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
it's times like this where you'd think devs would learn to manage their finances better so troubles like this would never happen. Though considering the self-destructive tendencies of companies I better not get my hopes up.

Glaice

Mar 18, 2013
Now I see why Crysis series is 75% off this weekend, partially because of this bad news.

Yabba

Aug 19, 2012
Ultratwinkie said:
Metalrocks said:
surprised about it really. i thought they are doing really well, especially sinice EA was publishing their games and even had all 3 crysis games on special on origin and last night i saw crysis 1 and 2 on special on steam. as a shooter it was alright, but i cant say it was really special besides very impressive graphics.
Crysis 1 was a tour de force at the time of release. It did things that people didn't think was possible. High end physics (shacks made of individual destructible pieces) in a huge level with kick ass graphics and reactive AI in an open ended mission structure.

They cut all that after crysis 1. You didn't think crysis 1 was amazing because you see it years after the fact.

same way people complain half life 2 is overrated when it laid the foundation for shooters now.

Crysis 1 was the GTA V of shooters. It took limited tech and did the impossible.
I still have trouble running it ultra with 60 fps with my amd 7970. Heck the destruction physics are better then most today.

Magmarock

Sep 1, 2011
Hmmm I wander if it's the same staff from Free Radical Design (Time Splitters/Second Sight) if so then that is a whole new level of depressing news.

kajinking

Aug 12, 2009
gigastar said:
Ultratwinkie said:
Crytek cries about piracy, and went console focused. Then thought a huge expensive launch title would "bring in the money" on the least popular console of the entire generation.
I dont think it was the popularity of the Xbone was the sole cause for Ryse's flop, but mostly because of what it was. I remember that in the grim darkness of 2013 where Ryse was announced and there was no combat mechanic at all. Just move to an enemy and QTE would take over.

I imagine its hard to win people back when you reveal a game that has no more gameplay than the old dancemat games. And at least they made a good party game.
Yeah Ryse just looked so boring to me especially after that abysmal E3 reveal, I never really even considered it a contender in the console wars. It was launching against a superhero game about a guy who could shoot neon lasers to fight an army of concrete powered soldiers and a zombie game were you can do this:

And what did it offer? Guy with sword stabbing people over and over again.

Ticklefist

Jul 19, 2010
Crytek isn't looking to be bought by Deep Silver, Crytek UK is.

Didn't Deep Silver already have a chance to when they snatched up Volition and 4A?

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Ultratwinkie said:
iseko said:
how the hell did they do that? The crytek games are very succesful are they not? To bad. They were a good studio. I'd hate to see them go.

To make matters worse, cryengine isn't being adopted by anyone in an age of 15$ engines that include nvidia gameworks.
People keep saying this but it really isnt true, the CryEngine is being adopted now more then ever, there are around 45-ish games (not counting the indie games) since 2011 that use CryEngine. In comparison idTech 4 and 5 combined have less then that since 2004 (they have 11).

CryEngine isnt as out there as the Unreal Engine or Unity for indies (or Frostbite for EA, heh) but it is VERY out there and I bet that it is doing its financial part fine. If there is anything to blame its everything else since they never really had a hit game for some time now, all of them being just average while having big budgets.

Zeraki

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOR!?
Legacy
Feb 9, 2009
New Jersey
Country
United States
Isn't this the company that is run by a guy who essentially said "single player games are dead" and does nothing but focus on graphics over everything else? I could see why they would be struggling with that kind of mentality.

I feel bad for the workers though, they're getting screwed over big time.