Report: Destiny's First Two DLC Are Already (Partially) on The Disc

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Oh I just love how all these over-hyped mega-games always come crashing back down within a couple weeks as people find out that not only are they not everything they're hyped up to be, but in many case they are indeed just a nice shiny piece of crap. Oh sure, it might have a nice luster that catches the light just right when you place it on your window sill, but it's still stinking up the house.

Hoplon

Jabbering Fool
Mar 31, 2010
To a certain extent this always happens, have to leave hooks in the code for the DLC idea to work, it will reuse animations and AI behavior etc since it has to work with the rest of the game.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
*Smashes face into desk* I really shouldn't be surprised. Bungie just isn't what they used to be. I mean I like Destiny, but it just doesn't compare to their other work.

Also Activision.

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
I just want everyone to remember that, once upon a time, Bungie was a legitimately great gamer-first developer with the inspiring policy that every ounce of DLC they created would, with time, be free for everyone to play with and enjoy because they rightly stated doing so grows a community and gives all players the chance to enjoy all parts of the game if they're patient enough.

And now they're gating off content as locked on-disc "DLC".

It is that moment that you, well and truly, realize that Bungie is no longer "gamer-first".

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
I'd question the sanity of anyone surprised by this. (or at least, anyone whose first AAA game isn't Destiny)
Destiny cost half a billion to produce.
HALF A BILLION. That's INSANE. That's insane even by Hollywood standards.

The DLC was inevitable. Doesn't mean anyone has to like it, but frankly, I'd have been STUNNED if Bungie didn't pre-load DLC onto the disc just to save themselves the cost of hosting and traffic.

Given said insane cost and the modus operandi behind Destiny's design (grind-grind-grind-grind...), if you're looking to get the complete experience, well, "Better bend over and grab your ankles, and prepare to have your horizons expanded".

otakon17

Jun 21, 2010
SweetShark said:
Of course this won't change something. We already know many people will buy the DLC.
Also why we make so big deal the existing DLC in the Disc?
Maybe in the past I a had problem myself, and of course this isn't technically a DLC, but if the publisher want to sell it separate from the main game, so be it. Don't buy.
But, of course, they will buy them.
We make a big deal of it because originally, DLC was supposed to be added on/in later, as optional, expanded content for people that loved the game. Not something they sliced out of the game at the start and then sold us again, saying it was new content. When stuff shows up on the disc already like this, it's clear that it could have been left in the full game but was taken out to nickel and dime people.

Yeah, Destiny cost 500 million to make, but it also sold like a crack covered unicorn crapping gold dust.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
You know, I really enjoy this game. I like the gameplay, I like the characters and the set up.

But beating the story took almost no time. I have maxed out all the content and anything I do now will be retreading the same water.

They seriously dwarfed the game. Most people beat the game on accident and are like, "... did we just beat the game"? I literally heard someone on my wife's team say that when she beat the game. They had no idea that that was it.

All I can do now is just grind some armor. But what's the point? I enjoy the game for the story but the story is done. What the hell?

ecoho

Jun 16, 2010
just want to point out that this game is more like a MMO and anyone who played wow before knows that there were expansion files on the original game that weren't used till wrath at the earliest(a few didn't make it in to cata).

this is not an uncommon thing to happen so chill they are not screwing you they are just saving time and money leave assets they may use on the disk.

Raziel

Jul 20, 2013
Man I hope almost no one buys the dlc. This game is so short already and the dlc isn't even any new maps and still costs $35-$40!!! Screw them I hope this game crashes and burns. If its a hit everyone will pull this crap.

Dreadman75

Jul 6, 2011
ecoho said:
just want to point out that this game is more like a MMO and anyone who played wow before knows that there were expansion files on the original game that weren't used till wrath at the earliest(a few didn't make it in to cata).

this is not an uncommon thing to happen so chill they are not screwing you they are just saving time and money leave assets they may use on the disk.
Exactly. People really need to relax and stop jumping the gun when phrases like "Disc-Locked content" are used. Unlike what the morality systems in video games nowadays preach, it's not always black and white in the real world, there are many shades of grey in there too.

Now if the content on the disc was entirely complete and there were no real reason for it to be locked off other than to charge even more; then the anger would be completely justified, but since it's not people need to calm down.

As it is now I just want to run the new strikes and raids I see in the video just to see how they look and play.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
Vigormortis said:
So a multimedia product produced by the now-soulless shell of a once great developer, published by a company that actually talked of increasing their product prices by ten to twenty dollars because "they can", with a production cost in excess of half a billion dollars, ends up committing one of the more egregious DLC 'sins'?

I swear, it's as if Bungie is going out of their way to find reasons for me to be happy they didn't bother bringing the game to PC.

Thanks Bungie! Never before have I ever been so happy you decided to give PC gamers the finger. Please, do continue to avoid offering your software to us.
if it had been put on pc at release, they would have found this stuff like several hours afterwards

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
ecoho said:

Vanilla WoW had a huge world to explore. I played WoW in beta and day 1.

This isn't the same. The content on disk for Destiny isn't a full game. It's barely worth playing for two weeks straight. I'm out of content already and I haven't played it as frequently as I normally would due to some house work I've had to do over that past month.

It isn't a full game. I mean, it's really short and they rely too much on multiplayer being a compelling experience.

kaizen2468

Nov 20, 2009
I don't mind if they have dlc on a disc already as long as the game itself is substantial enough that im satisfied with it. usually you can tell if they're trying to fuck you or not.

Th37thTrump3t

Nov 12, 2009
BrotherRool said:
Guys, look how much of a mess Destiny is. This isn't on disk content that they parcelled off for DLC, this is the remnants of the huge wreck of a game which they probably ripped apart and tried to piece back together as something new after finding out what they originally made was unplayable.

Every sign in the game points to a horrific production disaster. They've got crud loads of lore, yet no way to tell the story in game, there's so many features that must have taken a lot of work to make yet don't fit into the game at all. There's cutscenes that go nowhere and do nothing.

I bet there will be super cynical DLC for this (it is Activision), but I don't believe the production team behind Destiny was competent enough to have DLC finished before launch. I bet the DLC will be as much a mess as the game was
I don't think it has to do much with incompetent production teams as much as it has to do with Activision. Bungie signed a 10 year agreement with them for this IP and the scope of this game was fucking huge. I personally think a much more realistic scenario is that Bungie had all of the DLC content in progress and were working on implementing it into the final product but because of time constraints (They had already pushed it back once) and because Activision was riding their ass trying to get this game out, they had to cut it and release it as DLC.

I guarantee that if Destiny would have been pushed back to 2015 and Bungie had been given more time to implement all of the content that they had planned, Destiny would have been a much better off game. Unfortunately, that wasn't the case, and the only one we have to blame is Activision.

Sight Unseen

The North Remembers
Nov 18, 2009
Fasckira said:
JET1971 said:
A map itself does not make content nor does it mean they are doing anything underhanded. And all the discovered hidden content does not mean shit. Allot of it could be unfinished or cut content that is common to be found in games when you look under the hood. Since that's console and from Reddit nobody is looking under the hood but making guesses for clicks.
I'd be inclined to agree with you but the missions it shows appear to reference the DLC names directly.

I dont mind them drip-feeding the story via DLCs, nor do I mind it already being on the disc. What I do mind is when they charge considerable amounts of money for it on top of an already pricey game.

Thing is, I know Ill end up buying it just so I can get some more enjoyment out of Destiny. Getting bored of replaying the missions now.
Why not just play a different game? There's thousands of them out there. Why give more money to an already mediocre and expensive game in the hope that maybe they might fix all of their shit and make the game enjoyable and not just an endless grind with an abysmal drop system?

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
Sight Unseen said:
Why not just play a different game? There's thousands of them out there. Why give more money to an already mediocre and expensive game in the hope that maybe they might fix all of their shit and make the game enjoyable and not just an endless grind with an abysmal drop system?
I guess because when I was playing through Destiny for the first time, I really enjoyed it. Dont get me wrong, Im aware it has its faults and now I've hit the end game its dull as hell. While I was playing through it though, I found the levels quite fun and they gained an extra element when I was replaying with my buddies but of course after a few more playthroughs they start to lose their shine.

I guess where Im wandering off with this point is that if the DLC is proper fresh content - more story, more cards, fresh scenes etc - then I know the odds are Ill enjoy it.

ryukage_sama

Mar 12, 2009
Between the always online requirements, subscription requirements for multiplayer and the locked on-disc content, I believe I now understand why they chose not to pursue a PC port of the game. It doesn't seem like I'm missing much at the moment.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
weirdee said:
if it had been put on pc at release, they would have found this stuff like several hours afterwards
I doubt it would have even taken that long.

Though, knowing Activision, they would likely have withheld the DLC files and a huge swath of core game files. Preferring to store them on the servers from which the game would be played.

Can't trust dem PC gamers, you know. Dirty bunch of elitist pirates, they are...

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
Th37thTrump3t said:
BrotherRool said:
Guys, look how much of a mess Destiny is. This isn't on disk content that they parcelled off for DLC, this is the remnants of the huge wreck of a game which they probably ripped apart and tried to piece back together as something new after finding out what they originally made was unplayable.

Every sign in the game points to a horrific production disaster. They've got crud loads of lore, yet no way to tell the story in game, there's so many features that must have taken a lot of work to make yet don't fit into the game at all. There's cutscenes that go nowhere and do nothing.

I bet there will be super cynical DLC for this (it is Activision), but I don't believe the production team behind Destiny was competent enough to have DLC finished before launch. I bet the DLC will be as much a mess as the game was
I don't think it has to do much with incompetent production teams as much as it has to do with Activision. Bungie signed a 10 year agreement with them for this IP and the scope of this game was fucking huge. I personally think a much more realistic scenario is that Bungie had all of the DLC content in progress and were working on implementing it into the final product but because of time constraints (They had already pushed it back once) and because Activision was riding their ass trying to get this game out, they had to cut it and release it as DLC.

I guarantee that if Destiny would have been pushed back to 2015 and Bungie had been given more time to implement all of the content that they had planned, Destiny would have been a much better off game. Unfortunately, that wasn't the case, and the only one we have to blame is Activision.
No Destiny is more broken than that. It like fundamentally doesn't make sense as a game, it's taking parts from MMOs that don't work, the amount of detail they've put into the story will never ever work with the delivery mechanism they've got.

This isn't a game that they didn't have time to finish. This was a game that they realised would never ever work.

Maybe incompetent is harsh, it's not that, Blizzard, CCP (the EVE developers) and Valve have both done this before, they had a really big idea that they were enthusiastic about and they worked on it for years before realising that it would never work. That's what happened to the Titan MMO. The difference between those companies and Bungie, is those companies are rich enough that they can afford to throw all that work away and never release the game.

Activision wouldn't let Bungie do that, so they had to try and piece together what they could and then when Activision forces them to do DLC they patch the edges.

The big thing is, I believe they could have worked on Destiny for 10 years and never got it to work. They were trying to create a living world, but they were using MMO mechanics that are fundamentally hostile to that