Report: Deus Ex Franchise Put on Hiatus

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Report: Deus Ex Franchise Put on Hiatus

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1343/1343750.jpg
A report is suggesting that a planned third game in the Deus Ex trilogy has been put on hold.

Eurogamer is Mankind Divided [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-01-30-dont-expect-another-deus-ex-game-anytime-soon].

Fans of the series will know that Mankind Divided left a lot of questions unanswered, and a lot of story threads untied. Reportedly, Mankind Divided was set to answer all of those questions, but at some point in development content was cut to be saved for a third game, which has now been shelved. It's unknown if fans will ever see the resolution to the series they are waiting for.

When asked for comment, Square Enix responded that "While we are still working on expanding the Deus Ex Universe, along with creating new content and updates for Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, we're also devoting our talents towards working with Crystal Dynamics and Marvel on The Avengers project."

[gallery=6879]

The DLC released thus for for Mankind Divided focuses on single, stand-alone stories, rather than a continuation (or conclusion) of the main story plot.

So while the possibility hasn't been completely ruled out, don't expect another Deus Ex game any time soon.

Source: Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-01-30-dont-expect-another-deus-ex-game-anytime-soon]

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Hence why splitting a story into two parts for extra profits is oft regarded as an anti-consumer move, squeenix.

Zulnam

Feb 22, 2010
Squenix splits deus ex story because greed. People refrain from buying it because they read story is not finished and microtransactions. Squenix places future development on hold because new deus ex didn't make enough money.

Man, if I would've bought Mankind Divided I would be piiiiiiiiiissed.

Laughing Man

Oct 10, 2008
Anyone remember when Square used to release games that told a full, complete and decent story?

I've bought two games from them last year and the result was

FF15: content and story cut to be released as a buy me to get the complete story DVD / Blu Ray and no doubt to be sold as add on DLC at a later point, leaving a story that felt short, inconsequential and lacking in any dramatic effect.

Deus Ex: content cut from the end to be included in a reported well in to development third game leaving you with a story that just seemed to end without warning without any really satisfying conclusion.

I am starting to think that maybe I should stop buying Squares games.

KaraFang

Aug 3, 2015
A spokesman for Square Enix commented:

"We just don't get it. Complex preorders that need an excel spreadsheet to understand, an unfinished story, micro-transactions hidden in game. We did everything we could to make a players wallet or purse our personal piggy bank and force them to cough up extra money on TOP of the retail price we charge and people refused to buy our VERY mediocre triple A title.

We're managers in suits... people should LISTEN to us and not pay attention to what they're getting. Ah well, time to find something the moron factor of the gaming community will pay for because it's pretty and not very deep. I need that magnum of champagne for my next enema, after all!"

Jan 27, 2011
*flips table*

Dammit squeenix!

I actually liked Mankind Divided, despite them putting most of the content in one single city hub and having less actual Infiltration missions than the prequel, which is the real meat of the game, and despite the gameplay feeling like one step forward one step back from Human Revolution.

Hell, I was even fine with the ending, even if I felt it needed one more REAL mission and a bit more actual resolution to it. (And props for actually making the final mission actually fantastic this time.)

It was still Deus Ex, with all the sneaking and hacking and clever infiltration and good story arcs, even if they spread the jam really thick into one single spot in the game.

So to hear that the sequel that's well into development is getting put on hiatus and that we probably will never get an actual conclusion to all the threads dangling from the cliff? That pisses me off.

Squeenix, maybe if you'd spent less money on the shitty free-to-play mode, and on failed marketing stuff, and hadn't done some shady microtransactions, you'd have turned more of a profit on your game that you chopped in half.

I'd still buy the next game too. Because I can't get what Deus Ex does anywhere else these days. Gimme the damn conclusion to Jensen's story, dammit!

Xerosch

Apr 19, 2008
That's fine by me. The gameplay was alright but not one Deus Ex game except the first was able to tell a compelling story. There are just too many surperior titles out there with better quest design and atmosphere.

Blitsie

Jul 2, 2012
Zulnam said:
Squenix splits deus ex story because greed. People refrain from buying it because they read story is not finished and microtransactions. Squenix places future development on hold because new deus ex didn't make enough money.

Man, if I would've bought Mankind Divided I would be piiiiiiiiiissed.
I sure am hahahaha, what a waste of money ultimately. And the half of story we had was a rather toothless drag to top it all off (especially for me since I'm living in the country they so boldly got their "mechanical apartheid" theme from). So much for a "grey world" when everyone is either in one extreme or the other to the point of it being comical.

But I digress, Mankind Divided was a decent game and its a pity we possibly won't be seeing a conclusion to Jensen's story anytime soon.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Alas, I may never see the thrilling conclusion to the grand saga of Adam Jensen, a man who consistently manages to be the most boring ************ in the room despite having cyborg sunglasses and fucking robot arms.

What a shame.

MCerberus

Jun 26, 2013
Zhukov said:
Alas, I may never see the thrilling conclusion to the grand saga of Adam Jensen, a man who consistently manages to be the most boring ************ in the room despite having cyborg sunglasses and fucking robot arms.

What a shame.
I could have sworn they already wrote a decent ending to the character.
Problem being they made a sequel.

TheScorpion

Feb 24, 2016
Well that sucks.

Then again, One of the reasons that I had little interest in Mankind Divided was because I hadn't finished the first game yet and this game felt like it changed little from the first as well.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
Aaaaaah the Anachronox/Shenmue way of things.
"announces a game with story split up, meaning we spent the money on something we don't know will sell well"
customers hold off on purchase for complete edition
"sorry guys, not enough cash came in."

Darth Rosenberg

Oct 25, 2011
I was so hyped for Mankind Divided I didn't even buy it or play it... so as far as I'm concerned? Good.

I'm not sure who'll actually be developing what, but I'd gladly take a good Marvel game [series] over another ho-hum, half-arsed Deus Ex prequel.

TelosSupreme

Dec 8, 2015
Am I the only one who just isn't all that impressed with this series in its current form? Like, HR was good, but I don't think there's all that much mileage you can get out of Adam Jensen's story. Even then, the original Deus Ex still stands as a superior game to this very day. Sure, a lot of it hasn't aged well, but there was clearly a lot more passion, originality, and understanding of the core concept. Without the obvious references, HR and MD feel like a completely different series than the first game (we don't need to talk about IW).

pookie101

Jul 5, 2015
well their hidden micro transactions and one use items made me refund the season pass

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
I was incredibly excited for this game

Then they announced the multiplayer.
Then they announced the micro transactions.
They they announced that it would be 'episodic title' whatever that's supposed to mean*
Then they announced that insane pre-order system.

Then it came out and the story was both boring and unfinished. Congratulations Squeenix, you've unlocked the secret of revers alchemy, turning gold into lead.

*I take it to mean paying multiple times for the same single game