Report: Deus Ex: The Fall Coming to Steam

Bindal

May 14, 2012
008Zulu said:
Shocksplicer said:
Still not a reboot. It's part of the original continuity, so it's not a reboot. Simple as that.
(not sure why you posted that twice)

But when the next game retells the story of J.C Denton, then what?
It's a remake. A remake doesn't restart the story in any form, it tells the same story unchanged and can be seen as replacement for the original in terms of story (not gameplay, as that may or may not be different). The remake might include some updates to the story established by other games (references, updates plotpoints, ect), but a remake is not a reboot.

Darks63

Mar 8, 2010
Considering it roots a a tablet game how good is the story? Because i have to doubt it was very good due to the "fast food" nature of most ios/tablet/iphone games.

nyysjan

Mar 12, 2010
alj said:
nyysjan said:
Human Revolution universally well received?
Well, i guess if you limit the universe to people who received it well.
You can say that about anything, in fact now you point it out it that phrase is kind of silly. How can something be Universally well received? Even if one person did not like it then this statement would be false.
Which is why i never use the phrase, or at least give it qualifiers like "universally well received, among X".

Talaris said:
Steven Bogos said:
Fans were shocked, especially considering the absolutely terrible Invisible War (sorry to remind you about that one)
I'm sorry, but whilst I respect people's differing opinions on a game, surely calling Invisible War "absolutely terrible" is an exaggeration?I would assume absolutely terrible would be something along the lines of a game being completely broken, or offensive in some way, which Invisible War was neither.

As for Deus Ex The Fall, I'm definitely interested if they can port it well and charge a reasonable price for it.
Main problem Invisible War had, was that it was a sequel to one of, if not the, best computer games ever made (according to some (myself included)).
As games go, it was somewhere between bland and not quite good.
But it was not bad.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
Darks63 said:
Considering it roots a a tablet game how good is the story? Because i have to doubt it was very good due to the "fast food" nature of most ios/tablet/iphone games.
Probably something they didn't give a damn about and made a proper game anyway. Not every game on tablets is a toilet game, you know?

Antsh

May 15, 2012
Kinda tired of these mobile ports to PC. They are almost always not worth the trouble.

I'm waiting for the Dungeon Keeper Mobile PC port.

UniversalRonin

Nov 14, 2012
Ya know what, as someone who mostly uses their tablet for games (until I can afford a new PC), I kinda like this stuff happening, sure it's a little shorter than your average desktop release, but it's well developed, and it's not bad. I prefer TBS Games, but it's a good enough laugh. It's my first Deus Ex title, and I wasn't inspired to look for the others, but it was fun while it lasted.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Shocksplicer said:
Not sure where you've got the idea that they're remaking the original from, that's been a rumour pretty much ever since the original came out, but I've never heard anything actually official about it.
It's a major publisher, Human Revolution got rave reviews and it made a boat load of money.

They are not going to stop at one game.

There might be one more game in the interim (though given the ending of HR, it's doubtful), but the remake of the original is right around the corner. But I suppose HR might be considered as rebooting the franchise.

BloodRed Pixel

Jul 16, 2009
Talaris said:
Steven Bogos said:
Fans were shocked, especially considering the absolutely terrible Invisible War (sorry to remind you about that one)
I'm sorry, but whilst I respect people's differing opinions on a game, surely calling Invisible War "absolutely terrible" is an exaggeration?I would assume absolutely terrible would be something along the lines of a game being completely broken, or offensive in some way, which Invisible War was neither.

As for Deus Ex The Fall, I'm definitely interested if they can port it well and charge a reasonable price for it.
No, DX:IW wasn't "absolutely terrible"as in broken, it's just completely forgettable and skippable with boring fighting, awfully designed levels and 4 anti climax endings.

The only good thing about the game - that you can actully make it thru mostly stealthy and non violent and the Don't kill everything-attitude - does in no way justify sinking 15hours or so into it.

DataSnake

Aug 5, 2009
Yeah, the interface might be a bit tricky. I guess it's only fair though, lord knows tablet gamers have had to deal with more than enough ports of games designed for real controllers. Making it mouse only would be basically the equivalent of the "part of your iphone screen is now virtual buttons and analog sticks" approach, so it'll be interesting to see if they expect PC gamers to settle for the kind of cop-out mobile gamers have been stuck with or if they'll put some actual effort into it. And just because this story is about Deus Ex, I'll point out that I, in fact, never asked for this.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Oh no. Not again.
After Shadowrun Returns forced its awful awful tablet-centric interface on me, I'm wary about buying anything ported from tablets by default.

Riff Moonraker

Mar 18, 2010
I'm still waiting on a sequel to Deus Ex: Human Revolution!!! But if they put this out on Xbox Live, I would probably pick it up.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
Atmos Duality said:
Oh no. Not again.
After Shadowrun Returns forced its awful awful tablet-centric interface on me, I'm wary about buying anything ported from tablets by default.
Considering that there is a PC version of Deus Ex Human Revolution already out, I think it is safe to assume they just use THAT as basis for the port and use its interface instead of, you know, using a purely mouse-controlled interface to emulate the tablet screen.

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
I never knew Jean Reno was in a Deus Ex game. (come on, you guys didn't see it too?) While it does look like the cool thing, expanding on the Deus Ex world and all, I could never get into Human Revolution. The controls seemed too stiff or something, maybe just that I don't like 3rd person shooters. So yea, this will be a pass for me.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Bindal said:
Considering that there is a PC version of Deus Ex Human Revolution already out, I think it is safe to assume they just use THAT as basis for the port and use its interface instead of, you know, using a purely mouse-controlled interface to emulate the tablet screen.
The difference is that DX:HR had a separate developer dedicated specifically to the PC version, who worked on the port as the original console version of the game was still being made. They could fix shit as it developed, and for the most part DX:HR was actually pretty well done for a PC port. (well, I didn't have any significant technical issues on launch, which was a refreshing change)

But DX: The Fall? Not at all. It was originally planned as a tablet-only spinoff and nothing more (as evidenced by Eidos-Montrreal and Squeenix reps being aversive towards or outright denying any notions about porting The Fall back when it was announced).

This "Coming to Steam!" announcement came out of nowhere, which means it's a "second-press" (post-launch) port-job.
While I'll withhold final judgment until it comes out, I am very cautious about this, becase Second-press PC ports tend to be very half-assed in this business.

Shocksplicer

Apr 10, 2011
008Zulu said:
Shocksplicer said:
Not sure where you've got the idea that they're remaking the original from, that's been a rumour pretty much ever since the original came out, but I've never heard anything actually official about it.
It's a major publisher, Human Revolution got rave reviews and it made a boat load of money.

They are not going to stop at one game.

There might be one more game in the interim (though given the ending of HR, it's doubtful), but the remake of the original is right around the corner. But I suppose HR might be considered as rebooting the franchise.
So you're really just guessing and making baseless assumptions.
Nice talking to you.

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
Metalrocks said:
NuclearKangaroo said:
Metalrocks said:
never heard of it and steam doenst show anything either. at least not yet.
if its promising enough for pc then i might consider it.
well, i think this DEUS looks promising

eh? eehhhhh?

i know where the exit is
ehm?? ok!
let me rephrase:
i rather wait and see how the pc port is.
it was a pun

does, deus...

Boba Frag

Dec 11, 2009
One question.

Is that Jean Reno in that game or are my eyes finally starting to fail spectacularly?

Because, if so, that would be amazing.

Shocksplicer

Apr 10, 2011
008Zulu said:
Shocksplicer said:
So you're really just guessing and making baseless assumptions.
Nice talking to you.
Name one big company that didn't turn a hit game in to a franchise.
It already is a franchise! It's the third game in a series! There are spinoffs and books! There's a movie in the works! In what way has Deus Ex not been a franchise for over a decade?

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Shocksplicer said:
It already is a franchise! It's the third game in a series! There are spinoffs and books! There's a movie in the works! In what way has Deus Ex not been a franchise for over a decade?
Exactly. They aren't going to stop. Which means the original will be brought in to line with HR. Which is exactly the thing given all the purists nightmares.