Report: Dishonored 2 Will Surface at Gamescom, 2014

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Report: Dishonored 2 Will Surface at Gamescom, 2014

An anonymous tipster claims Dishonored 2: Darkness of Tyvia is coming to PC, PS4 and Xbox One, likely in November 2015.

Dishonored seemingly came out of no-where back in 2012, bringing with it a fantastic Thief-like blend of stealth and action that managed to outshine the actual Thief remake. Needless to say, it earned a lot of fans, fans who have been patiently awaiting the inevitable news of a sequel. Back before E3, there where whispers that it would be revealed as Bethesda's "mystery game" (although that turned out to be a Doom reboot [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/conferences/e32014/11630-Doom-Reboot-Revealed-by-Bethesda]), and now, similar whispers are suggesting that Dishonored 2 will be making an appearance at this year's Gamescom.

VG24/7 [http://www.vg247.com/2014/07/15/dishonored-2-darkness-of-tyvia-release-date-gamescom-reveal-rumour/] has heard word via an anonymous email tipster that Dishonored 2: Darkness of Tyvia will be coming to PC, PS4 and Xbox One, likely in November 2015, and will make its debut at the Cologne convention in August. The tipster also supplied the PS4 box-art shot which you can see to the right.

Obviously, this report comes with a grain of salt, as the tipster has been unable to verify the validity of his claims, and anyone with a rudimentary grasp of photoshop could have knocked-up a box-art mock-up. But still, it goes without saying that someone, somewhere, is probably working on Dishonored 2, especially as Dishonored developer Arkane has been hiring staff to work on PS4 and Xbox One as well as PC and older formats.

Here's hoping that Bethesda throws us Dishonored fans a bone!

Source: VG24/7 [http://www.vg247.com/2014/07/15/dishonored-2-darkness-of-tyvia-release-date-gamescom-reveal-rumour/]

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
Sounds exciting, after what you got to read about Tyvia in the books and in game fluff it really sounds like a "lost island" kind of place full of danger and ancient lost magic. If the game is based there or you on an expedition there it could very well mean that Dishonoured 2 isn't simply a cynical rehash of "what worked well in Dishonoured", it might have its unique flavour/twist.

Shilefin

Aug 18, 2011
If this report turns out to be legitimate, then I've just acquired a new release to look forward to. Exploring other continents is probably the best direction they could go, and Tyvia is certainly one of the most interesting ones from what you can read in the game. Combined with the power of next-gen, this could really be a great sequel provided they learn from some of their mistakes.

Roofstone

May 13, 2010
If real, awesome! I loved the lore and other stories found in Dishonored. I'll buy it.

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
It was really much more like Deus Ex, than Thief. And it's a good thing because Deus Ex is awesome.

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
If the story and gameplay are as good as the original then imo they can crank out 20 sequels and i'll buy them all. This goes right to the top of my want list along with Xillia 2 and Xenoblade Chronicles X!

Genocidicles

Sep 13, 2012
I'm surprised the possible change of protagonist wasn't mentioned in the OP. Supposedly we're playing as Emily Kaldwin in the sequel, which I think is dumb.

In one ending she's the empress, and the other she's hinted to be dead. Doesn't sound like a good idea for her to be a playable character unless the game consists of you sat on your arse in the throne room.

Nikolaz72

This place still alive?
Apr 23, 2009
Genocidicles said:
I'm surprised the possible change of protagonist wasn't mentioned in the OP. Supposedly we're playing as Emily Kaldwin in the sequel, which I think is dumb.

In one ending she's the empress, and the other she's hinted to be dead. Doesn't sound like a good idea for her to be a playable character unless the game consists of you sat on your arse in the throne room.
She's the Empress in both endings and dead in neither.

Genocidicles

Sep 13, 2012
Nikolaz72 said:
She's the Empress in both endings and dead in neither.
There's an ending where the admiral flings her off the edge of the lighthouse.

You can save her because she's hanging on to a railing or something, but if you're too slow to save her then she falls.

In that ending Corvo leaves Dunwall to be consumed by the plague.

Eppy (Bored)

Crazed Organist
Jan 7, 2009
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah *squee*

Welp. There goes a month of my life. I really hope it comes out after exams are over.

shirkbot

Apr 15, 2013
harrisonmcgiggins said:
Headsup!! Anticipated sequel to a sucessfull game is coming out!!! And in the most popular month of game releases!!

And apparrently we are surprised.
Heads up!! Internet commenter makes cynical, jaded (badly spelled) comments about possible positive developments!!!

I know that's a little harsh, but not every piece of news has to make peoples' heads explode. Sometimes it's just nice to see that something you're interested in is getting attention, no? (Segueing into the OT) I know it's just a rumor, but it would be nice to see some news, especially considering it's a sequel to something other than a major franchise and/or standard Manshoot. I think I'll actually go play some Dishonored now. Today is a good day.

kuolonen

Nov 19, 2009
Nikolaz72 said:
Yea no, I don't think they -very bad- ending is canon.
I really don't like it when gamecompany makes a game that gives player a chance to decide how to the game ends, only to declare just one of the endings canon afterwards.

But as long as it is not a prequel, I am very much looking forward to this.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
RealRT said:
It was really much more like Deus Ex, than Thief. And it's a good thing because Deus Ex is awesome.
What do you mean? The Deus Ex reboot or the older games? Because I didn't get a Deus Ex vibe off of it, more of Thief (the original series). The Victorian Era theme, the steampunk technology, the focus on events in one city, the ability to turn off light sources (sometimes), and to hide bodies to prevent detection as you sneak around.

I'm not criticizing, just curious what about the game felt more Deus Ex-y to you than Thiefy.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
kuolonen said:
Nikolaz72 said:
Yea no, I don't think they -very bad- ending is canon.
I really don't like it when gamecompany makes a game that gives player a chance to decide how to the game ends, only to declare just one of the endings canon afterwards.

But as long as it is not a prequel, I am very much looking forward to this.
Well to be fair, if they give you the choice, and then try and incorporate that into the sequel, they have to make 2 different games in a sense. Not impossible I'll admit, as Bioware pulled it off pretty well with Mass Effect, but it does increase the work load. Also, given how many scenarios Dishonored could've ended with, it makes it ungainly. In coding every possible scenario that you could have for the next game, you run the risk of making those choice simply be window dressing, sort of like how ME did. They change a line or 2 of dialogue, but the overarcing events are relatively uneffected by your choices in a lot of ways.

Low Chaos but you killed the main targets. Low Chaos but you let them live. High Chaos and Emily Lives. High Chaos and Emily Dies, etc etc.

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
Happyninja42 said:
RealRT said:
What do you mean? The Deus Ex reboot or the older games? Because I didn't get a Deus Ex vibe off of it, more of Thief (the original series). The Victorian Era theme, the steampunk technology, the focus on events in one city, the ability to turn off light sources (sometimes), and to hide bodies to prevent detection as you sneak around.

I'm not criticizing, just curious what about the game felt more Deus Ex-y to you than Thiefy.
First of all, it wasn't a reboot, it was a prequel. Second - well, any of them.
Why, the gameplay of course. The combination of RPG, combat and stealth - Thief, at least the old one, didn't have RPG elements and combat was a poor option, whereas it was a legitimate approach in Deus Ex. You get a variety of tools to dispose of your enemies in a variety of ways and you can upgrade your abilities by getting runes, which, akin to upgrade canisters and PRAXIS kits of Deus Ex can be either found on levels or got by doing quests. It may look like Thief - but it plays like Deus Ex.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
RealRT said:
First of all, it wasn't a reboot, it was a prequel.
True, I used the term reboot very loosely there to just mean "a revitalizing of the franchise". I am aware of the chronological aspect of the game. I'm replaying right now on steam actually xD

RealRT said:
Second - well, any of them.
Why, the gameplay of course. The combination of RPG, combat and stealth - Thief, at least the old one, didn't have RPG elements and combat was a poor option, whereas it was a legitimate approach in Deus Ex. You get a variety of tools to dispose of your enemies in a variety of ways and you can upgrade your abilities by getting runes, which, akin to upgrade canisters and PRAXIS kits of Deus Ex can be either found on levels or got by doing quests. It may look like Thief - but it plays like Deus Ex.
Fair enough. I wasn't really considering the mechanics much quite honestly. To me it's more about the mood and atmosphere of the setting than the guts of how I go about playing the game. But I see what you mean in that regard. Still feels more like Thief to me personally though xD

I do agree that DX:HR was/is an awesome game.