Report: Final Fantasy XII Remake Coming Out "Soon"

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
I'm not sure why I bother reading comments on Final Fantasy articles anymore.

Anyway, cool. As long as it's the International version and comes to Vita, I'll pick it up. I've got all of the other Final Fantasy games either for my PSP or Vita (because for some unfathomable reason the PSP remakes of the first two aren't available on the US PSN), and I really love the world and combat of XII. It'd be amazing to have that on a handheld.

Longing

Nov 29, 2012
One more game to my list for when I actually buy a PS4.

Throughout my long and troubled history with Final Fantasy, I can honestly say that this is the only FF game I truly enjoyed. Did not like Vaan and Penelo, but they were easily ignored as the plot wasn't really about them. And a much better battle system than that shitshow in FF 13.

w23eer

Mar 13, 2014
Azex said:
Dont we still need the HD remakes for 9, 10 and 10-2 on PC?
They're probably gonna put all of them on PC eventually. But they probably want to do XII first as it's still the only FF game that hasn't been ported to another platform yet.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Venatio said:
Why does this game need a remake? The plot was a disjointed mess, the characters almost completely unlikable and the combat was akin to banging your head against a wall of pillows for an hour.

I agree with Ragsnstiches, would be nice if we could eject that whiny crap Vaan. It's like they got Tidus and took away everything that made him a somewhat decent protagonist and increased the character flaws to over 9000!

So, who else had absolutely no idea what we were doing in this game by the halfway point? Don't remember the halfway point? Exactly.
That's what happens when the director walks out halfway through production because he got sick and tired of all the BS Square's meddlesome executives kept piling on. No part of the game stands out at all; the narrative is just a mess because they're trying to reconcile Matsuno's interest in political intrigue with "must defeat pure evil gods" (which ironically Matsuno could have done ANYWAY because all of his games have done that), the characters are dull even when some of them clearly had interesting concepts like Balthier and Basch (the only DECENT characters in the playable cast), the combat system is clunky at best and a non-event at worst, the bounties were terribly balanced, and the Espers were so obtuse you're better off completely ignoring them. The ONLY good things about the game is the gameworld, which is very cool to traverse and has interesting and varied locales, but there's really no point when everything else is so boring and the soundtrack, but even then it's not Sakimoto at his best. All in all, the game is one of the weakest entries in the franchise.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I've always wanted to like this game more than I actually did. None of the characters really stood out, the voice acting was really boring, and the plot was an inconceivable mess.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
For me, XII was too flawed. I disliked the combat and Vaan was just so unneccesary to the plot. Made worse by how absolutely stupid he is.

Balthier: "Hey, Vaan. Basch and I are wanted by the Empire. So, make sure you don't call us by name or anything stupid like that. I mean, you'd have to have some sort of learning disability to do something that dumb, right?"
Literally 5 seconds later, Vaan meets the young Imperial Prince.
Vaan: "Hiya, little boy that I have never met before. Did you know I'm with Balthier, the wanted Sky Pirate, and Basch, who isn't actually dead?"
Basch: "Why is this kid with us again?"
Fran: "Next thing you know he's going to be asking me my age..."

I'm not hating on the idea, may even buy it, but this is one of those games that I couldn't finish. Mostly because I realized I was watching TV while playing it because I found combat too boring.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
The good new is I suppose I'll not longer have to use the PS2 emulator to play this game again.

w23eer said:
Azex said:
But they probably want to do XII first as it's still the only FF game that hasn't been ported to another platform yet.
Nor has FFIX been ported to another platform.

w23eer

Mar 13, 2014
mad825 said:
The good new is I suppose I'll not longer have to use the PS2 emulator to play this game again.

w23eer said:
Azex said:
But they probably want to do XII first as it's still the only FF game that hasn't been ported to another platform yet.
Nor has FFIX been ported to another platform.
Not physically, but you can download it on the PS3.

Arqus_Zed

Aug 12, 2009
Well, that's... interesting.

FF XII had a lot of problems:

1) The story was dull, combining bullshit politics with magic and evil gods, all the while introducing pointless 'plot twists'.

2) The characters were uninteresting - and I'm talking everyone, not just Vaan and Penelo (but, yeah, those two annoying orphens have no reason to be in this 'story' whatsoever). Basch has the whole evil twin thing going on (really?!), Ashe is an unlikeable ***** whose entire arc (tens of hours) is a stupid "will she, won't she"-shtick that ends with her doing what everyone in their right mind already KNEW she was going to do. Fran has this whole "exiled elf"-shtick , but they don't really do anything with it - she's the only non-human in the team because Square-Enix' throught process goes like this: "Hey, should we put in a playable Seeq, Bangaa or Moogle? Nah, xenophobia all the way, give them five humans and put in a female of the Playboy bunny race." And Balthier fills in the spot as the 'reluctant hero' with many secrets in his past. What secrets? Well, he used to be a judge... which goes nowhere. He's Cid's son... which also goes nowhere. Oh, spoilers by the way. Though, to be honest, it's all so pointless chances are you'll forget about it as soon as you leave this page. Why do people like him again? Because he tries so hard to be Han solo?

3) The pacing sucks. I remember this one part where you have to go through like four dungeons - and then to compensate for that, they stick you in a huge city for over two hours afterwards.

4) The combat was broken. Magic queues while physical attacks keep going. The weaknesses of the ADB-system really start to show when you attack larger groups of enemies.

5) The summons are worthless and the quickening system is just a weird gameplay mechanic that feels really tacked on. It's not as game breaking as the limits of FF VII or the limit breaks of FF VIII, but it just feels really out of place.

6) The bazaar system sucks. The best gear is acquired through this system, but unless you're using a guide, you're fucked.

7) The areas are rather... boring. There's a beach, a steppe, a jungle, a forest, a few deserts... Compare this to FF IX where you had the likes of Ipsen's Castle, the Lifa Tree, Cleyra's Trunk / Settlement and Oeilvert. The same goes for the music, I can hum like half of the songs from FF-games where Nobuo Uematsu did the OST, but FF XII? I honestly can't think of a single theme.

Yet... Despite all of these glaring flaws... I still have a 200 hours playthorugh sitting on my old memory card.

Dr.Susse

Lv.1 NPC
Apr 17, 2009
Such good news if it comes about!
I can honestly say that XII has been the game that I've put the most hours in so far. Just running around and killing stuff was fun.
I even worked out a speed run to the zodiac spear.

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
If this is an actual remake as opposed to the HD remaster I suspect it will be, all they really need to do is completely revamp the combat system. 12's combat system was a slow, clumsy, nonshowy piece of crap turned based system that tried to pretend it was an action RPG while being worse than either system would have been on it's own. The combat system on it's own was so poor it dragged the entire rest of the game that otherwise would have been at least decent as it made actually playing the game a boring tedious slog.

DracoSuave

Jan 26, 2009
Auron225 said:
And Vaan needs to disappear. Ashe, Basch, even Balthier deserve to be the protagonist over Vaan. Hell, I'll take Fran as a protagonist over Vaan. For that matter, Penelo needs to go as well. Neither of them serve the plot in any regard.
Vaan isn't the protagonist, it's Ashe's story.

Vaan's character arc is resolved in the first act, and is meant to be a reflection of the theme of Ashe and Basch's conflicts--that of revenge for those who wronged you. Vaan doesn't resolve it by getting even with the object of his scorn [Basch], instead he learns the truth and decides to follow along and do what is right instead of doing what is just.

Ashe's story, however, is that she struggles with that. She is seeking vengeance and even the reveal of the truth of the Occuria does not dissuade her; only the support of her allies [including Vaan] convinces her that vengeance is not the way.

Contrast with Tidus, who IS the protagonist of his story, as while he tags along Yuna's journey of self-sacrifice, it is eventually him that makes the choice to sacrifice himself to bring Eternal Calm so she doesn't have to; while her journey is intended that she sacrifices herself so that no one else has to.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
*hits the little button marked 'SAOA Kirito level Sarcasm'*

OH GOOD .... They're ruining a classic AND we're getting a remake of one of the worst games in the series, before the better ones that actually deserve it more. This is truly, these are wondrous times we live in.

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
Why does Squeenix have such a penchant for piling too many projects on their plate at once?

Is it to please investors or something?

I'm not talking about he projects helmed by the companies they purchased (although Eidos has a pretty full plate as well), I'm strictly talking the main company.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
DracoSuave said:

Vaan's character arc is resolved in the first act, and is meant to be a reflection of the theme of Ashe and Basch's conflicts--that of revenge for those who wronged you. Vaan doesn't resolve it by getting even with the object of his scorn [Basch], instead he learns the truth and decides to follow along and do what is right instead of doing what is just.

Ashe's story, however, is that she struggles with that. She is seeking vengeance and even the reveal of the truth of the Occuria does not dissuade her; only the support of her allies [including Vaan] convinces her that vengeance is not the way.

Contrast with Tidus, who IS the protagonist of his story, as while he tags along Yuna's journey of self-sacrifice, it is eventually him that makes the choice to sacrifice himself to bring Eternal Calm so she doesn't have to; while her journey is intended that she sacrifices herself so that no one else has to.
Except we all know that's BS. He IS the protagonist, but of course since he was tacked on he does nothing of consequence and if dropped from the storyline nothing suffers. When there is a protagonist who does nothing, has no arc, and is in no way important to the narrative then it's quite clear the writers have failed at their jobs.

Dr. Crawver

Doesn't know why he has premium
Nov 20, 2009
Fantastic. I really can't wait for this. Love me some FFXII. Hopefully they improve vaans painted on abs though. They need a boost.

Metadigital

May 5, 2014
Venatio said:
Why does this game need a remake? The plot was a disjointed mess, the characters almost completely unlikable and the combat was akin to banging your head against a wall of pillows for an hour.
Those all sounds like excellent reasons for a remake.

What I don't understand is why anyone would want a remake of a game that got almost everything right like FFVII.

Janaschi

Scion of Delphi
Aug 21, 2012
Aiddon said:
DracoSuave said:

Except we all know that's BS. He IS the protagonist, but of course since he was tacked on he does nothing of consequence and if dropped from the storyline nothing suffers. When there is a protagonist who does nothing, has no arc, and is in no way important to the narrative then it's quite clear the writers have failed at their jobs.
I like how the guy you responded to actually put thought into his rebuttal, and the only thing you gave in return was a bunch of biased circular logic.

For the record, I do agree in that Ashe was the ultimate protagonist of FFXII. One already knew who she was long before Vaan was ever introduced, and the entire plot revolved around her, up until the very end - not around Vaan. Hell, after the first act, even Balthier has more plot revolving around him than Vaan did.