Report: GameStop Will Give More For Trade-Ins Starting in August

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Report: GameStop Will Give More For Trade-Ins Starting in August

On August 18th GameStop plans to give gamers 20 percent more for their trade-ins.

There is a kind of rage that's particular to gamers. It's the rage of walking into a GameStop with a bag full of games you spent hundreds of cumulative dollars on and walking out of the store with a gift card worth a mere fraction of that value. Granted, there are some situations where you legitimately shouldn't expect much for your games. That Madden title from 2009 probably isn't even worth the dollar they give you for it. When it comes to pretty much every other trade-in though, we can understand if you feel a strong urge to burn the store down. You shouldn't because, you know, laws and stuff, but we still understand how you feel.

GameStop isn't oblivious to these feelings however, and <a href=http://kotaku.com/gamestop-is-overhauling-trade-ins-will-offer-more-mone-1616075351>recent reports have indicated that it hopes to mitigate them with a new initiative that will see gamers getting more cash and credit for their trade-ins. The program, which is set to launch on August 18th, will push trade-in values up by 20 percent of their current rate. In other words, a game that's worth 10 dollars today would be worth 12 dollars after August 18th.

In addition to this trade-in rate hike, anonymous sources have also indicated that the retail chain will be ditching its variable trade-in rates for a flat fee system. What this means is that you'll no longer receive bonus credit when you trade something in toward an upcoming release. The only extra bonus after the 18th will be for Power Up Rewards subscribers who will receive 10 percent extra on their trades. It's the company's hope that this simplified system will make it easier "for the customer to understand what they are getting for their games." This new initiative will apparently also phase out the phrase "trade-in" and gradually replace it with "buy" and "sell."

All in all, it doesn't sound like the worst case of corporate rejiggering we've even seen. Granted, it's all geared toward getting customers to spend more money at GameStop, but you'd it's still hard to complain when the company's method for this is giving people more money. What do you think of the proposed changes? Does an extra 20 percent sound like enough to entice you or does GameStop need to go further in its efforts to bring in new business?

Source: <a href=http://kotaku.com/gamestop-is-overhauling-trade-ins-will-offer-more-mone-1616075351>Kotaku

Gizen

Nov 17, 2009
The fact that they'll be gtting rid of trade-in promotions means that they'll actually be giving the customer back far less money in the long run. Trade-in promotions could often yield increases of 10, 15, sometimes even 20$ on a traded in game, while the extra 20% will on average probably only give an extra dollar on average, probably even less.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
Nope, not even close to making me wanna go ear a Gamestop for anything other then a Pokemon download.

why?

That Credit Card they're coming out with and the fact 'testing' getting finger prints from people for trade ins, in a store back east somewhere (I forget where, but it's in the north eastern states)

Rozalia1

Mar 1, 2014
They could give me the games original price and I'd still not sell them. I like to hoard my games as the rate of me hitting a "dud" is very unlikely even when I take risks.

I do wonder what brought this on though I can assume.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
So...they'll raise the trade-in value for 20%, and their used games by 30%?
XD

Frozengale

Sep 9, 2009
With an extra 20% that means when you trade in a newly released, barely played game you will now get $1.20 instead of $1.00.

V da Mighty Taco

Apr 9, 2011
Lol no. Not only is Gizen spot-on about how this actually leaves customers with less money in the long run, but those trade-in rates have always been a mere fraction of what they should be worth, especially when Gamestop turns right around and sells it for nearly full price. As long as used games are being traded in for less than 20% of their retail price and being sold for well over 80% of said price, Gamestop's trade in policy will continue to be utterly abysmal and so very far behind the likes of eBay.

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
Lunar Templar said:
Ok this is just OTT even by the standards of the internet's hate boner for GS.

That Credit Card they're coming out with
I take it you avoid most big name retail stores too? because at least here in the US the concept of a "store credit card" is fairly common. Ten seconds on Google shows, among others:
Catherine's, Staples, GAP, Wallmart, Toys R' us, Office Depot, Best Buy, and Amazon. And that is a tiny fraction of what a lazy search found, so why is this suddenly an issue when GS does it?

and the fact 'testing' getting finger prints from people for trade ins, in a store back east somewhere (I forget where, but it's in the north eastern states)
A. [citation needed]
B. Why is this an issue? Its called trying to not get a reputation as a place where thieves can safely dump stolen electronics, nothing wrong with that.

OT: Good. I like GS more than most people here but I'm not going to pretend their trade in values are awe inspiring (granted that's a price I'm totally willing to pay for a guaranteed sale and 1/1000000000000000 the effort it would take to try and sell games elsewhere) so bumping up what you get is nice. Now just get into the retro market so I can have options for PS 1/2 games other than driving two hours to the nearest ma & pa shop or using *gag* Amazon.

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
So what's stopping them from lowering[footnote]They could stagger them so, even if someone watched trade values on their site regularly, it would be had to notice[/footnote] trade in values for some commonly traded in games or all of them bringing the financial return back to square one? I'll stick with trading in a only hand full of games every 3 decades and probably not at a Gamestop.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
major_chaos said:
I take it you avoid most big name retail stores too? because at least here in the US the concept of a "store credit card" is fairly common. Ten seconds on Google shows, among others:
Catherine's, Staples, GAP, Wallmart, Toys R' us, Office Depot, Best Buy, and Amazon. And that is a tiny fraction of what a lazy search found, so why is this suddenly an issue when GS does it?
As much as possible actually. Helps the 'big name stores' in my area like Wall Mart are completely fucking worthless for, pretty much everything I'd want from them. Amazon is really the only one I go to, but that's rarely and not for video games. Way better places to get games then Amazon.

But you don't care about that, do you :p. It's an issue, not just with Game Stop (whom we'd all be better off with out anyway) but every store that offers these things. Because Wall Mart, Best Buy, Amazon, Game Stop, none of these are the kinds of company's that should legally allowed to issue a credit card, especially at those extremely predatory rates they got going, (of which Game Stops will be the highest btw) Banks, and other such financial institutions should be the only ones handling these things, not some guy be hind a counter making minimum wage who's very job will likely depend on getting people that have no business owning credit card to sign up for these things.

Besides, even barring my own personal disdain for credit cards in general. What the fuck is the point of a game Stop credit card? Those things are for emergency's, or items of high value that are of necessity (Appliances, Vehicles, Medical Emergency's, Automotive Emergency's and so on). What is 'needed' from Game Stop? Nothing, that's what. At least with Wall Mart and Target you can items of necessity there, Game Stop offers nothing 'needed', it's all (over priced) luxury items.

A. [citation needed]
B. Why is this an issue? Its called trying to not get a reputation as a place where thieves can safely dump stolen electronics, nothing wrong with that.
A; http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2014/08/01/new-philadelphia-gamestop-policy-requires-customer-fingerprints-when-trading-in-games/ AND http://www.gamespot.com/articles/gamestop-now-fingerprinting-people-trading-in-game/1100-6421436/

B; First off, a real pawn broker is still a far better place to dump stolen merch, they take far more stuff them Game Stop. you'll get a better deal to. The fact the local authority's asked them to do this makes it a little better, but I still don't trust game stop with that kind of personal information, and you shouldn't ether, not there's other, less invasive means of deterring the use of the place as a dumping ground for stolen property.

Slash2x

Dec 7, 2009
Yeah GameStop can straight get bent on this one. They bought out Rhino Games years back just to keep their trade ratio as screwed up as it is now. Rhino used to give a 50% exchange ratio on most games and HIGHER on the rest. So if that game was going to be sold for $40 then they gave you $20+... So 20% more on $.015? Fuck you.

the_retro_gamer

Apr 8, 2013
Im still better off selling my game on E-Bay or a friend. At least there I know I can get cash and spend the money else where. I don't care much for your in store dirt cheep trade in credits Gamestop.

GAunderrated

Jul 9, 2012
I bet it took Gamestop's top executives 2 years to budge 20% more on their crappy trade in values. Sadly I still don't see the upside in screwing myself by getting 20 cents on the dollar with Gamestop when I could get 70-80 cents doing it myself.

Gorrath

Feb 22, 2013
I don't think the value is there, but I still don't get the hate some individuals seem to have for the establishment. Don't like the trade in rate? Don't trade it in to Gamestop! It'd be different if they were a monopoly in the used games trade business, but they are far, far from it.

sirjeffofshort

Oct 2, 2012
I honestly stopped doing business with Gamestop years ago and this isn't nearly enough to bring me back.

Fairly Chaotic

Jun 18, 2014
Gorrath said:
I don't think the value is there, but I still don't get the hate some individuals seem to have for the establishment. Don't like the trade in rate? Don't trade it in to Gamestop! It'd be different if they were a monopoly in the used games trade business, but they are far, far from it.
They may as well be considered a monopoly. Here in the CSRA of South Carolina and Georgia and areas beyond, they are the only game store around, aside from stores like walmart, target, kmart etc. Walmart recently started taking trade-ins but I'd be surprised if sane people were taking part in it.

There used to be a Rhino game store years ago but Gamestop bought them out like they did EB years before that. I loved Rhino games so their acquisition was very disappointing. There was another store in the area but it wasn't getting enough business so it went out of business. I think one of them (unfortunately I can't remember the name) is still around and hidden somewhere between Augusta and Evans.

As for all the disdain they get from gamers? Look up how they "acquired" EB if you want to get an idea of their crummy business practices. The short of it, they took advantage of a merger. Like EA does with talent, GameStop consumed and liquidated the competition. Look it up yourself. I used to work for them so I can say first hand that the company has shitty management; sometimes in the people who are managers and other times how the managers are treated. I could list several reasons why working for them is crud but that info is also floating around the 'net awaiting your search.

No Captcha, Solve-Media, whatever you are, you can not have my personal e-mail. Sod off.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Lunar Templar said:
That Credit Card they're coming out with and the fact 'testing' getting finger prints from people for trade ins, in a store back east somewhere (I forget where, but it's in the north eastern states)
They do it in several locales, actually, and it's for purposes of compliance with the police. In the Philly case, it was voluntary compliance, but let's not pretend this is their own idea and their own initiative.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
Zachary Amaranth said:
Lunar Templar said:
They do it in several locales, actually, and it's for purposes of compliance with the police. In the Philly case, it was voluntary compliance, but let's not pretend this is their own idea and their own initiative.
Lets not pretend its a good thing ether. There are other ways of getting the same effect. Asking for a finger print is just far to invasive for a place like Game Stop to be doing.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Lunar Templar said:
Lets not pretend its a good thing ether.
And who is doing that, praytell?

There are other ways of getting the same effect. Asking for a finger print is just far to invasive for a place like Game Stop to be doing.
If there are other ways to comply with the law (and this is the law in several states, I think you even posted links that reference that), I'd like to know how. Still, accusations based around Gamestop voluntarily complying with the police in one district seems more paranoia than reality.