Report: GameStop Will Give More For Trade-Ins Starting in August

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
Zachary Amaranth said:
Lunar Templar said:
Lets not pretend its a good thing ether.
And who is doing that, praytell?

There are other ways of getting the same effect. Asking for a finger print is just far to invasive for a place like Game Stop to be doing.
If there are other ways to comply with the law (and this is the law in several states, I think you even posted links that reference that), I'd like to know how. Still, accusations based around Gamestop voluntarily complying with the police in one district seems more paranoia than reality.
Perhaps, but what has Gamestop ever done to really earn any kind of trust when it comes to this kind of thing.

Also, photos. The Pawn shops in my area take your picture when you bring things in.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Lunar Templar said:
Perhaps, but what has Gamestop ever done to really earn any kind of trust when it comes to this kind of thing.
Nothing. But what nefarious thing do you think will be done with this procedure?

Also, photos. The Pawn shops in my area take your picture when you bring things in.
Because it's not the law in your area and the police are not requesting it. Again, I asked you about how they comply, and taking photos where mandated or requested isn't compliance.

Besides, can you really trust Gamestop with your photos?

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
Zachary Amaranth said:
Lunar Templar said:
Nothing. But what nefarious thing do you think will be done with this procedure?

Because it's not the law in your area and the police are not requesting it. Again, I asked you about how they comply, and taking photos where mandated or requested isn't compliance.

Besides, can you really trust Gamestop with your photos?
I wouldn't trust Game Stop with a roll of toilet paper.

If its the Law, then it needs to be changed. Only time you should ever be asked for finger prints is if you've been arrested and are being processed (not really asking but not the point), if your applying for some government position, or anything where you will have accesses to and at some point due to the nature of the job, use, a weapon on another person (police and military, among others.)

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Lunar Templar said:

If its the Law, then it needs to be changed. Only time you should ever be asked for finger prints is if you've been arrested and are being processed (not really asking but not the point), if your applying for some government position, or anything where you will have accesses to and at some point due to the nature of the job, use, a weapon on another person (police and military, among others.)

Well, that's not going to happen. In the real world, it's beneficial for Gamestop to, among other things, not break the law.

I still have to wonder, though: what do you think they're going to do with your fingerprints?

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
Zachary Amaranth said:
Lunar Templar said:

Well, that's not going to happen. In the real world, it's beneficial for Gamestop to, among other things, not break the law.

I still have to wonder, though: what do you think they're going to do with your fingerprints?
It'd also be beneficial for them to stop screwing us and devs over on a regular basis, guess what else isn't happening.

and I donno, but they are defiantly on a list of company's I don't want anywhere near such things.

Gorrath

Feb 22, 2013
Fairly Chaotic said:
Gorrath said:
I don't think the value is there, but I still don't get the hate some individuals seem to have for the establishment. Don't like the trade in rate? Don't trade it in to Gamestop! It'd be different if they were a monopoly in the used games trade business, but they are far, far from it.
They may as well be considered a monopoly. Here in the CSRA of South Carolina and Georgia and areas beyond, they are the only game store around, aside from stores like walmart, target, kmart etc. Walmart recently started taking trade-ins but I'd be surprised if sane people were taking part in it.

There used to be a Rhino game store years ago but Gamestop bought them out like they did EB years before that. I loved Rhino games so their acquisition was very disappointing. There was another store in the area but it wasn't getting enough business so it went out of business. I think one of them (unfortunately I can't remember the name) is still around and hidden somewhere between Augusta and Evans.

As for all the disdain they get from gamers? Look up how they "acquired" EB if you want to get an idea of their crummy business practices. The short of it, they took advantage of a merger. Like EA does with talent, GameStop consumed and liquidated the competition. Look it up yourself. I used to work for them so I can say first hand that the company has shitty management; sometimes in the people who are managers and other times how the managers are treated. I could list several reasons why working for them is crud but that info is also floating around the 'net awaiting your search.

No Captcha, Solve-Media, whatever you are, you can not have my personal e-mail. Sod off.
I've read a lot of the stories about the EB acquisition and the way some of the stores are operated. That's why I don't shop there, because they are immensely easy to avoid. I'm not sure I can agree with your assertion that they are an effective monopoly though. Even without another brick and mortar store around to sell used games to, the internet abounds with ways to trade/sell used games at a much better price than what Gamestop offers. Internet commerce is at least ubiquitous enough that one can hardly call Gamestop a monopoly even if they were literally the only place that sold games for 100 miles in any direction. And as you point out, tons of the big box chains sell games, even if they don't take trade ins. I just fail to see the point of the rage. Gamestop sucks, sure, but I don't find that fact rage-inducing when they are easily able to be bypassed by the vast majority of people.

Fairly Chaotic

Jun 18, 2014
Gorrath said:
Fairly Chaotic said:
Gorrath said:
-ow, snipped me-self-
-snippers
No they aren't quite a monopoly and I never said they were. Virtually they seem to be because like Comcast, Atlantic Broadband and Time Warner, they have region control. You seem to be mostly into internet commerce so I can understand you not understanding a person's gripe with a store or their attachment to the way stores worked in the past. May I dare say it's a cultural thing (or lack there of) with a mix of the uneasiness that consumers get from piss-poor business practices. Also, GameStop is a great example why any industry needs competition. I think I understand your perspective though, "If the store sucks, simply go to department chain store or the internet."

I think the same way you do. Most of my physical purchases are made online and I recently joined Steam for digital downloading. However, most gaming consumers do not think the same way. Gaming consumers like you and I are in the minority. The uninformed and those lacking options are the ones fueling gamestop. If EB and Rhino were still around, Gamestop wouldn't be implementing or even considering some of their current and future practices. The store doesn't have any competition to keep them in check. Stores like Target and Kmart are not their competition.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Lunar Templar said:
It'd also be beneficial for them to stop screwing us and devs over on a regular basis, guess what else isn't happening.
Beneficial for who? Gamestop would disagree.

and I donno, but they are defiantly on a list of company's I don't want anywhere near such things.
This is an illusory threat.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
Zachary Amaranth said:
Beneficial for who? Gamestop would disagree.

This is an illusory threat.
Perhaps, perhaps not. Only a moron trusts a group who cares for nothing but money and are perfectly content with damaging the very industry they rely on, not to mention try and lure people whom likely have no idea how credits cards work or the importance of a good credit rating to get it.