Report: Ghostbusters to See a $70 Million Loss, Sequel Likely Shelved

Rangaman

Feb 28, 2016
*sigh*

Ghostbusters '16 wasn't actually a seriously awful film from what I've heard. As in what I've heard from critics, not sperglord fanboys of the originals or...*shudder*...menenists. It wasn't good either, just kinda okay. Which is why it doesn't surprise me that it was a flop. That and the director destroying the film's chances at success more than any Mighty No.9-style ad campaigns ever could.

Also, Ghostbusters II ruined the franchise long before this came out, and Bill Murry blocked any further sequels. So please stop saying that this of all things is a franchise killer.

Guitarmasterx7

Day Pig
Mar 16, 2009
altnameJag said:
Everywhere else I'm hearing meh to great things about it. I wouldn't be surprised if it gets a cult-classic label later.
I REALLY doubt that. For the record I have seen the movie and thought it was ok, but I've already forgotten pretty much all the jokes I chuckled at. It doesn't stand out enough to get that status IMO.

But yeah the marketing for this movie sucked on ice, and the addition of the "EVERYONE WHO DOESN'T THINK THIS MOVIE LOOKS GOOD IS A SEXIST" narrative gave the people who groan at reboots of their favorite franchises extra incentive to actually vote with their wallets out of distaste for the filmmakers, rather than begrudgingly buying a ticket and sitting through a "ruined childhood" like they usually do.

Gorrath

Feb 22, 2013
Rangaman said:
*sigh*

Ghostbusters '16 wasn't actually a seriously awful film from what I've heard. As in what I've heard from critics, not sperglord fanboys of the originals or...*shudder*...menenists. It wasn't good either, just kinda okay. Which is why it doesn't surprise me that it was a flop. That and the director destroying the film's chances at success more than any Mighty No.9-style ad campaigns ever could.

Also, Ghostbusters II ruined the franchise long before this came out, and Bill Murry blocked any further sequels. So please stop saying that this of all things is a franchise killer.
I see this from people from time to time and I've no idea why. The second film had some of the most iconic ideas/scenes. It wasn't as good or tight a film but it was still pretty grand. Ghostbusters 2 was about a thousand times better than this piece of trash they cranked out in a truck stop restroom.

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
Gorrath said:
I see this from people from time to time and I've no idea why. The second film had some of the most iconic ideas/scenes. It wasn't as good or tight a film but it was still pretty grand. Ghostbusters 2 was about a thousand times better than this piece of trash they cranked out in a truck stop restroom.
Likewise, I liked ghostbusters 2 >< Some scenes like the old lady ghost or a bloody living painting genuinely did give me the chills as a kid.

Imagine my surprise decades later upon finding out the prevalent attitude on this site is it was some kind of cinematic abomination.

Gorrath

Feb 22, 2013
Frankster said:
Gorrath said:
Likewise, I liked ghostbusters 2 >< Some scenes like the old lady ghost or a bloody living painting genuinely did give me the chills as a kid.

Imagine my surprise decades later upon finding out the prevalent attitude on this site is it was some kind of cinematic abomination.
Right? The effects for the painting were pretty fantastic. The slime was a really neat idea that they played up nicely. I defy anyone to show me a scene in the new movie that was half as scary as the woman's fur coat coming to life and running off. And the statue of liberty marching through New York is one of the most iconic things in either film. To each their own of course but my mind boggles at the idea that Ghostbusters 2 was somehow horrible, especially compared to the awfulness of this new film.

kris40k

Feb 12, 2015
Gethsemani said:
...If we go by this list [http://www.the-numbers.com/market/2015/top-grossing-movies] of last years top earners, Ghostbusters has grossed more...
Holy Shit Snacks!

Rocky Horror pulled down 140 million last year? I mean, I knew there was the constant late-nite cult showings[footnote]I've seen it myself a couple dozen times.[/footnote], but damn, I didn't expect to see those kinds of numbers.

Oh, Ghostbusters? Meh, don't insult your fans if you want to have people see your movie.

Recusant

Nov 4, 2014
Putting politics aside for the moment, isn't this completely ignoring merchandising? Isn't that usually a big chunk of change? Yes, a big chunk of the original's merchandise base was actually due to the cartoon, but there's still a base to build off of, and I'd be astonished if Sony ignored that.

I mean, what the heck did Ecto Cooler actually have to do with ghosts? I'd love to have that again, if only to see how close my attempts at recreating it actually are.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Callate said:
I'm a little surprised, honestly. Box Office Mojo lists its production costs as $144 million; I got the sense that it wasn't doing all that well, but I hadn't realized that other costs (promotion etc.) had more than doubled the stake.

...Ouch.
a good rule of thumb for movies is take budget, double it and thats the amount of box office you need to break even. Mind you, thats DOMESTIC box office. worldwide one is much much lower income because local distributors keep most of the money. This has been an approximatelly correct rule for most movies (definitely big budget hollywood ones, some indies work out better sometimes) for decades now.

Gethsemani said:
The obvious problem, as SlumlordThanatos points out, is that the budget was way inflated and meant that the movie would not break even with anything less than equaling the gross of the top 5 or so movies of any given year. How anyone would approve of such an insane budget and bank it on nostalgia is one of those mysterious, inane business decisions.

But to suggest that this is somehow an example of "people showing their discontent with the movie" is to hilariously misrepresent or misunderstand the facts at hand. The movie has had somewhere in the ball park of 25 million ticket sales and a gross revenue that puts it in the top 10 for any given year. That would qualify as a success for any movie with a sensible budget and even if the result is a net loss, the confidence in, and approval of, the movie by box office metrics is more than satisfactory.
Ghostbusters was the 2nd highest grossing movie in 1984 after beverly hills cop: http://www.boxofficemojo.com/yearly/chart/?yr=1984&p=.htm
Ghostbusters II was the 7th highest grossing movie in 1989: http://www.boxofficemojo.com/yearly/chart/?yr=1989&p=.htm

Both grossed more than the 2016 remake even before accounting for inflation. I think the hopes of franchise strenght was certainly there in sony execs minds and given how thier responses reek of religiuos zealotry about this film its no wonder they expected it to be a second coming of christ.

Ghostbusters (2016) ended up in the 15th place of half of 2016 year so far, barely above frigging Angry Birds movie. Assuming same trend its going to be the 30th highest grossing movie in 2016. Which is basically irrelevant.

Whether it was people showing discontent or something else, it was absolutely a flop both from financial perspective and from relative box office one. Oh and you do know a lot of tickets were free promotion ones right? In the US they were giving them away left and right through promotion deals. I wouldnt be surprised if half of the tickets were paid via those promotions.

C14N

May 28, 2008
A people saying it's because the director called them misogynists are way overestimating their own importance. If you were upset about that, fact is that you weren't going to see this movie in the first place. Blockbuster movies like this don't succeed on making the "fans" happy, they succeed on reaching a wide, mainstream audience. The modern Star Trek films were completely loathed by the fans and were still huge hits, because most people aren't big fans of the original show. Simple fact is that this film just didn't get many people's attentions. I think they just severely overestimated the enduring popularity of the Ghostbusters brand. Ghostbusters wasn't like Star Wars, it really only had one big movie 30 years ago and that was it in terms of major success. I just don't think it really had enough interest to justify sinking $300m into it.

Arawn

Dec 18, 2003
When it came to Ghostbusters, after the first trailer I had zero interest. There were several factors outside of the females in the main roles. One of the paramount reasons; it was a comedy. I have never gone to see a comedy on the big screen. There are jokes in movies the make you laugh or chuckle, but trying to catch them all isn't something I enjoy. Plus when I don't get or like the joke and everyone else laughs it sounds like one of those sitcom laugh tracks. So no comedy. I went to see Deadpool and got laughs with my action/adventure. When jokes are the focus, I'm less than thrilled. Another reason was the fact it was a reboot/remake. Well from the leaked script and the reviews, it was a literally a reboot AND remake. A reboot is when they take the original idea and take it into a new direction with slight nods to the original. While a remake is where they literally remake the original part to part. Ghostbusters did both and that's a recipe for disaster. They acknowledge the original in the trailer,and make it nonexistent. But just as they claim to be their own movie they mirror the old movie(s). Then came the claims that all critics were sexist. At that point I threw up my hands and walked away. I'll probably give it a rental at best. Looking at the numbers (thanks for all the links guys, although I usually look at mojo) I'd say the sequel has a low chance. Looking at other movies some make their budget within 2-3 week/end (Domestic and Foreign) and drop to 1k theaters after 5 weeks. This movie will reach that 300 million mark, but not as quickly at planned. As some pointed out the investors wanted a big return. A flop in that regard, but still it made money to not be a complete loss.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
Lizzy Finnegan said:
Report: Ghostbusters to See a $70 Million Loss, Sequel Likely Shelved
Now if only they would have had the tiniest bit of cognitive and predictive ability that "should" come naturally to anyone whos job it is to predict the viability of potential projects and shelved this one that Stevie Wonder could have seen coming a mile away before they ended up elbows deep in wasted expenses on this doomed project that only ever sounded like a good idea back when it was still just an off the cuff concept that came out of no where that was allowed to fester until it gained an abominable life of its own, We would have all been better off for this being left as a pitch that would never again see the light of day where this whole concept always belonged never to be thought of again.

It is truly astounding that any industry can function on such a completely dysfunctional business model. Yet it is the same model seen with triple A gaming. Leveraging profits from prior successes to fund future projects on a locust scale devouring everything and that is tied to seemingly exponential budget inflation that requires each successive success to be even bigger than the previous thus watering down any sort of edge or risk and functionally rehashing the same things over and over again because it must appeal to the broadest demographics humanly possible in order to have any hope of hitting its ridiculously skyrocketing profitability bar. As if the only way you can create a bigger success than what you had before is to remake what you had before only bigger, louder, faster and shinier.

When your projected profitability requires you to attain unrealistic 30% demographic acquisition, why does it make sense to anyone to keep doing things that force that bar to be pushed higher and thus more unrealistic? Does it not make more sense to scale back on a budget and leave yourself with a project that could become profitable after like 5%?

I think that is the crux of this rant. Despite what some people will tell you, Capitalism is killing the U.S. and this is just another symptom of a slow and debilitating chronic illness that is technically terminal, but only because people refuse treatment and are determined to rely on faith with an incredibly poor success rating to fix the problem. If we could even just consider that this industrial revolution system that worked incredibly well for its time is ill equipped to handle the challenges faced in a modern era, Then perhaps we could consider going back to the drawing board and trying to construct a system capable of working with the issues of a digital world and moving society into the present and future, instead of trying to control and manipulate a digital world by using steam powered clockwork and analog hands.

Meh, /rant OFF

tl;dr This should have never happened. It did because of a broken system that should never been allowed to function this long without heavy maintenance and massive overhaul. If we want to prevent the effects, we have to first address the cause. What is it going to take to get us to finally start addressing the cause of SOOO many of these completely avoidable problems?