Report: IGN and UGO to Merge and Become New Company

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Yeah? Maybe if IGN stops with the poor news reporting, awful reviews, and annoying woman with a monotone voice and fake smile on my 360, I'll care about anything they do.

It is rather disgusting that such a poor site makes that much money though.

Furism

Sep 10, 2009
KeyMaster45 said:
Ah the media conglomerate; tis only a matter of time before IGN ends up buying Activision or EA. Then IGN will get bought up by somebody bigger, and the cycle of life continues. :D
Well if the video games websites end up owning video games companies, maybe the games will be actually be better and video game journalists won't have to give bad games good grades anymore. One can dream.

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
Furism said:
KeyMaster45 said:
Ah the media conglomerate; tis only a matter of time before IGN ends up buying Activision or EA. Then IGN will get bought up by somebody bigger, and the cycle of life continues. :D
Well if the video games websites end up owning video games companies, maybe the games will be actually be better and video game journalists won't have to give bad games good grades anymore. One can dream.
I think the effect would be just the opposite actually. Were IGN to buyout one of the big game publishers they would then have a vested interest in giving their games good reviews and their competitors bad reviews. After all, why should you let your employees bash a game that you're trying to make money off of; even if it is a steaming pile of crap.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
KeyMaster45 said:
I think the effect would be just the opposite actually. Were IGN to buyout one of the big game publishers they would then have a vested interest in giving their games good reviews and their competitors bad reviews. After all, why should you let your employees bash a game that you're trying to make money off of; even if it is a steaming pile of crap.
It sounds like a source of endless fun for me; I could start my own knock-off of the Colbert Report, but targeted squarely at such dishonest gaming journalism.

ThreeKneeNick

Aug 4, 2009
IGN is awful, i see that im not alone in that opinion. It always seemed that over there reviews and news were secondary to very obvious attempts at promoting a specific stereotypical gamer culture that actually seem to be working. I can't stand them.

Fox242

El Zorro Cauto
Nov 9, 2009
Great. Now what will happen to 1up? Will it be slashed down like when it was accquired by UGO?

Anti-Robot Man

Apr 5, 2010
Stopped visiting IGN a long time ago, the standard of "journalism" just kept getting lower and lower. The merger pretty much has to be a good thing, given that it's hard to imagine the site getting much worse.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
matrix3509 said:
GeorgW said:
I never got why so many people go to IGN. I guess it's not my thing, but could people explain what makes people gravitate towards them?
For the same reason so many people used to watch Mtv back in the day, that so many people listen to Lady Gaga and Bieber now, that so many people watch Fox News: they are the biggest and most mainstream, and the common person usually trusts the biggest players in whatever industry the most, textbook herd mentality.
But how did they get the biggest? Were they just first or what have they done that was so good that they became the biggest?

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Furism said:
KeyMaster45 said:
Or maybe they will be even more biased than they already are. Seeing that from IGN's point of view makes it disturbing...