Report: Microsoft Plans New Xbox 360 Dashboard

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Report: Microsoft Plans New Xbox 360 Dashboard

Though most of the world is looking ahead to Microsoft's next console, the firm isn't quite done fiddling with the Xbox 360.

According to a new Verge report, Microsoft will be releasing a beta version of a new dashboard update for the Xbox 360 sometime in June or July of this year. This update will reportedly arrive in preparation for the firm's next console, with changes including a new user interface more closely resembling what Microsoft has planned for Windows 8.1 as well as new aesthetics/color options.

The main goal of this update is to bring the existing Xbox 360 in line with Microsoft's imminent future products. Once updated, your current console should be able to use the same Xbox Live features found in Microsoft's next console, thus providing some level of interoperability between the two devices, and giving current Xbox 360 owners some assurance that their extant machine won't become immediately obsolete once the Xbox 361 (or whatever it's eventually called) hits store shelves.

Further, The Verge claims that Microsoft is planning to reveal "a smaller and denser Xbox console with newly designed controllers that are said to be 'flattened' in appearance." While we don't know for sure, we would expect this to be the Xbox Mini rumored in April [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/123201-Rumor-Durango-Peripheral-Offers-Xbox-360-Compatibility]. Concrete information is scarce, but according to reliable sources, the device will more or less be a smaller version of the Xbox 360 with an enhanced focus on streaming media and playing games directly from the gadget's hard drive. It's also reportedly designed to connect directly to the next Xbox, bypassing worries about the system's backwards compatibility by wrapping that entire concept up in one major, likely costly "peripheral."

As Microsoft has yet to officially confirm or deny this report, we urge you all to take the above with a grain of salt. Still, this new information jives with everything we think we know about Microsoft's plans, so unless the company plans to swerve its prospective customers big time, it seems likely that the reality will be something close to what we've described here. Expect further information very soon.

Source: The Verge [http://www.theverge.com/2013/5/17/4340490/xbox-dashboard-update-beta-ui-changes-for-next-gen]

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
I just hope they keep the same 360 controller set up. Its iconic and quite perfect.

As for the dashboard, hopefully ads dont take up 1/2 of the screen. Also backwards compatibility sounds like its coming to the 360

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
It wouldn't be a year if Microsoft didn't replace the 360 dashboard. Again.

P.S. Thanks

Parakeettheprawn

Apr 6, 2013
I wish this was just a mini Xbox 360 that worked on its own. Then I could just finally get it, plug it in alongside my PC, and pretend I'm finally playing my PC copy of Halo 3.

JokerboyJordan

Sep 6, 2009

It literally had everything you could want, was easy to browse the various sections without being obtuse.
This all changed when the Kinect Kiddies attacked.

For example, I used to watch Inside Xbox all the time, but if I wanted to do that now it's just so hopelessly secluded behind menu after menu, with advertising all the way.

I don't know if this iteration will be any better, but I don't have any high hopes considering MS's trend.

I can only hope that the new Xbox will be somewhat good, otherwise I', seriously considering PC gaming.

GAunderrated

Jul 9, 2012
felixader said:
I Guess there is not enough Commercials on the Dashboard for Mircosofts taste.
Nope if there is still some pesky "game crap" there they have to redo the dashboard to be more effective for advertisers because that's what gamers want right?

captcha: one hit wonder

I have a feeling the next xbox will prove that saying right.

uchytjes

Mar 19, 2011
At first I was like "why change it? Its almost through its cycle." but when it said it was going to be more like the windows 8 dashboard, I realized that it actually made sense. You know, unification of branding and such.

Bagged Milk

Jan 5, 2011
An informant of mine from Microsoft just leaked an early concept for the new dashboard. I am exclusively releasing this to these forums.

PoolCleaningRobot

Mar 18, 2012
If they're making it look more like windows 8 they better be tweaking the fuck out of it to work for a console. I don't have any hate for windows 8 but I get why people don't like it and I feel like it would look shitty on TV screen. Not to mention boring. I like ps3's cross media bar myself. It's so subtle and unobtrusive (I was annoyed when they got rid of it for the vita)

Oh yeah, and xbox ads joke

Darth Sea Bass

Mar 3, 2009
I was thinking i'll just unhook it from the internet then i realised if i buy any game released after the dashboard update it'll be forced on me like it or not.

oldtaku

Jan 7, 2011
webepoop said:
An informant of mine from Microsoft just leaked an early concept for the new dashboard. I am exclusively releasing this to these forums.
I really, really, wish you could star posts in these forums. So I'll just clap like this.

felixader

Feb 24, 2008
JokerboyJordan said:

It literally had everything you could want, was easy to browse the various sections without being obtuse.
This all changed when the Kinect Kiddies attacked.

For example, I used to watch Inside Xbox all the time, but if I wanted to do that now it's just so hopelessly secluded behind menu after menu, with advertising all the way.

I don't know if this iteration will be any better, but I don't have any high hopes considering MS's trend.

I can only hope that the new Xbox will be somewhat good, otherwise I', seriously considering PC gaming.
Yeah that Dashboard was actually exactly right for a controller.
The Joke is: i have the feeling that it also would have been perfectly fine for Kinect.

47_Ronin

Jul 30, 2012
Dashboard speed has been slowing down with every new iteration. And it has become harder to get where you want. I honestly ask myself what MS has been thinking.