Report: Nintendo Delays NX Production to Add VR

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Report: Nintendo Delays NX Production to Add VR

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/994/994205.jpg
Nintendo has also reportedly cut its production order down from 20 million units to 10 million.

So the Nintendo NX is DigiTimes [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/167276-Nintendo-NX-Launches-March-2017-Legend-of-Zelda-Delayed] is suggesting that NX production has been delayed, in order to, among other things, add VR capabilities.

"Sources from the related upstream supply chain pointed out that the delay was because Nintendo wished to enhance the game console's video-game/handheld-game-integrated gaming experience and add virtual reality (VR) function into the system to gain advantages in the upcoming video game and mobile game competitions," wrote DigiTimes [http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20160530PD201.html].

The sources, who reportedly work at the Chinese Foxconn factory that the units will be produced at, also offer a little info on just what the thing will look like. "The device features a 5- to 7-inch display, controller and joystick for users to play as a mobile gaming product, but it is also able to connect to a TV for users to play as a video game system. Nintendo is now planning to add VR function to the device to satisfy the popular trend in the gaming market," they claim.

Lastly, they claim that while Nintendo initially ordered 20 million units, that number has been slashed down to just 10 million, which means that the big N may not be quite as optimistic about the NX anymore.

Of course, these are all rumors and reports, so take them all with a grain of salt. Hopefully, we will hear more solid info about the NX at this year's E3.

Source: DigiTimes [http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20160530PD201.html]

KoudelkaMorgan

Jul 31, 2009
Pretty much cements me not caring about this console either. I didn't like motion controls, I don't like 3D, and I don't like strapping a screen directly in front of my eyes for any length of time. I still have a Virtual Boy, and even if VR has improved exponentially since then the core process of wearing a screen on your head is still idiotic for me personally.

Fulbert

Jan 15, 2009
Oh Nintendo. What happened to the times when you were the first to introduce a gimmick and let others try and catch up?

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
*Sigh* Chinese factory prices too good to dismiss eh? So many publicly condemn the chinese government, but don't mind taking advantage of their oppressive work ethics. Why is this news supposed to be controversial again? It reads that way. Is nintendo not allowed to do anything without the beady eyes of bitter judgements coming down on them? They are only doing what other companies are doing and it's something we should mock? Lordi in hell. They aren't any worse or better than the rest, full of flaws but still trying. Perhaps less cringeworthy than MS though. But i'm almost certain a large part of this community get their kicks out of bringing down nintendo. Still, if it keeps you from beating your kids, who am i to argue? ;)

AidoZonkey

Musician With A Heart Of Gold
Oct 18, 2011
This does worry me. VR does seem to be the way video games are naturally going to progress ,and companies like microsoft and sony have already said they are working on VR compatibility with their consoles, but nintendo needed to develop a console that feels like a console. If its just an optional extra and they are building in compatibility, thats fine, that would be future proofing the console. However if they are building it with the intention of "the VR is integral to the NX", then its going to hinder the console.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
Fulbert said:
Oh Nintendo. What happened to the times when you were the first to introduce a gimmick and let others try and catch up?
Who "caught up" with the Virtual Boy? The Power Glove? Game Boy Camera/ Printer? Link Cable? Tablet Controls? Granted Sony and MS did some motion control stuff but they easily surpassed the Wii's own gimmick which wasn't even being utilized by the majority of games on the console by 3 years into that gen.

Fulbert

Jan 15, 2009
AzrealMaximillion said:
Fulbert said:
Who "caught up" with the Virtual Boy? The Power Glove? Game Boy Camera/ Printer? Link Cable? Tablet Controls? Granted Sony and MS did some motion control stuff but they easily surpassed the Wii's own gimmick which wasn't even being utilized by the majority of games on the console by 3 years into that gen.
Yeah, they surpassed it alright. Especially the Kinect which ended up being the worldwide gaming community punchline. Or the Sony Move - though admittedly Sony were quick to sweep it under the rug before people started pointing fingers and laughing. Some intense surpassing that was.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
Oh dear... This thing is just going to keep popping up. I hope it's not something bundled with it, because I have no interest in VR personally. That would kill me getting it if the price is quite high.

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
"The device features a 5- to 7-inch display, controller and joystick for users to play as a mobile gaming product, but it is also able to connect to a TV for users to play as a video game system.
So no more stick waggling? Good, so basically the NX is the WiiU gamepad without the "Wii" part of it. I like the idea of a handheld I can hook up to my TV, I've always enjoyed the option to play my handheld games on a larger screen (particularly Fire Emblem because I like to run through the battles with my friends). Although I have a feeling the "handheld" part will basically be like the gamepad, in other words not as travel friendly as a 3DS.

Nintendo is now planning to add VR function to the device to satisfy the popular trend in the gaming market," they claim.
I wonder how this is going to pan out. From what I understand you need a strong system to support VR, which is something that I'm skeptical about even where Microsoft and Sony are concerned. Nintendo usually lags behind them. However if anyone is going to bring VR to mainstream audiences, it will be the consoles. The price of entry is just too high on PC at this moment.

Lastly, they claim that while Nintendo initially ordered 20 million units, that number has been slashed down to just 10 million, which means that the big N may not be quite as optimistic about the NX anymore.
I suspect they're using a sales tactic they've used (to much displeasure) in the past, in which they make not enough to fill the demand, so it drums up artificial demand and awareness, making people believe this is a hot ticket item, and so increasing the chances of sales in the future. This is also a risk adverse strategy in-case customers call the bluff.

Ex: Amiibos[footnote] especially the splatoon set, which now I see everywhere in stores, Lucina is still MIA[/footnote], The WiiU Gamecube adapter, the US release of Xenoblade Chronicles, Pokedolls [footnote]previously available in only three locations in the world[/footnote], anything that can be considered "special edition".

Devin Barker

Aug 10, 2012
Man, I was considering buying a WiiU when they announced this thing was going to release this year. Now its being pushed band and getting a bunch of features that I most likely will never use... maybe I will just go get a WiiU.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Like I've elsewhere, rumors like this are hilarious because they clearly haven't been paying attention to anything Nintendo has been saying or doing. Like how they've repeatedly stressed how they want the NX to be AFFORDABLE which VR is the exact opposite of. Or how guys like Reggie and Miyamoto have been honest in saying that while VR is interesting technology it lacks the most important thing to gaming: that it needs to be FUN. But then again Nintendo rumors have never made much sense due to how desperate people are to get ANYTHING from the company no matter how stupid it is.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
"The device features a 5- to 7-inch display, controller and joystick for users to play as a mobile gaming product, but it is also able to connect to a TV for users to play as a video game system.
So...like any number of phones but with a built in controller?

xaszatm

That Voice in Your Head
Sep 4, 2010
Aiddon said:
Like I've elsewhere, rumors like this are hilarious because they clearly haven't been paying attention to anything Nintendo has been saying or doing. Like how they've repeatedly stressed how they want the NX to be AFFORDABLE which VR is the exact opposite of. Or how guys like Reggie and Miyamoto have been honest in saying that while VR is interesting technology it lacks the most important thing to gaming: that it needs to be FUN. But then again Nintendo rumors have never made much sense due to how desperate people are to get ANYTHING from the company no matter how stupid it is.
Not to mention the fact that Digitimes is wrong more often than right when it comes to rumors. So already this needs to be taken with a gallon of salt.

http://techland.time.com/2012/05/14/digitimes-apple-rumors/

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Aiddon said:
Like I've elsewhere, rumors like this are hilarious because they clearly haven't been paying attention to anything Nintendo has been saying or doing. Like how they've repeatedly stressed how they want the NX to be AFFORDABLE which VR is the exact opposite of.
Except the rumour itself specifically states that it's only VR functionality, not the VR itself. Kind of ironic.

That doesn't make the rumour valid, but it does make the counter argument of affordability invalid. And it's right in the rumour and the article.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Don't do that. C'mon, Nintendo! User your brain. You are only going to hurt yourselves more.