Report: Nintendo Delays NX Production to Add VR

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
xaszatm said:
Not to mention the fact that Digitimes is wrong more often than right when it comes to rumors. So already this needs to be taken with a gallon of salt.

http://techland.time.com/2012/05/14/digitimes-apple-rumors/
You don't even need to take salt with it; if they're wrong that many times then clearly they're not to be trusted. Except this is the gaming community, so even if you lay out the facts it'll just hold its breath and stamp its feet because you've ruined its addiction to histrionics. If anything this just illustrates how desperate people are to get ANYTHING about Nintendo considering how rare leaks are, especially when it comes to hardware. They do not gel well with the information overload environment gamers are exposed to 24-7

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Xsjadoblayde said:
*Sigh* Chinese factory prices too good to dismiss eh? So many publicly condemn the chinese government, but don't mind taking advantage of their oppressive work ethics.
Such is the fate and function of capitalism, there's always someone to victimize for profit...
JCAll said:
Whatever it takes to get Metroid Prime VR.
I'm throwing money at the screen and nothing's happening! Capitalism, ho!

EDIT: Wait, digitimes? Oh, well nvm then.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Ohhhh, Nintendo.

Don't do it.

You're supposed to be the accessible one. The "joy and wonder > power and chrome" guys. That's where you've succeeded in the past.

I get not wanting to get "left behind", but being the third-best adopter of VR is not a winning position. It's resources you can't afford expended on an area that won't play to your advantage.

Make a console that makes everyone want to gather in your living room. Mend your relationships with the big publishers that fell to pieces during the Wii-U years. Sew up the consistently mediocre Internet/networking features. Find a way to unify the mobile and home-entertainment-center console, if you can.

But VR is going to be an ugly, clumsy, costly mess for at least a few years. Don't jump on that ball unless you want to get crushed by a bunch of three-hundred-pound linebackers.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
Fulbert said:
AzrealMaximillion said:
Fulbert said:
Oh Nintendo. What happened to the times when you were the first to introduce a gimmick and let others try and catch up?
Who "caught up" with the Virtual Boy? The Power Glove? Game Boy Camera/ Printer? Link Cable? Tablet Controls? Granted Sony and MS did some motion control stuff but they easily surpassed the Wii's own gimmick which wasn't even being utilized by the majority of games on the console by 3 years into that gen.
Yeah, they surpassed it alright. Especially the Kinect which ended up being the worldwide gaming community punchline. Or the Sony Move - though admittedly Sony were quick to sweep it under the rug before people started pointing fingers and laughing. Some intense surpassing that was.
On a technical level they surpassed the Wii Motion gimmick by miles, then realized like most people not making exercise games for the Wii that no one cared about motion controls. If the Kinect is a punchline, then the Wii-U is a hell of a closing bit.

FillerDmon

Jun 6, 2014
On the one hand, yeah, this doesn't really sound like Nintendo, and considering how many rumors have been spat out by everyone -but- Nintendo, I think publishing anything other than Nintendo's outright word seems ridiculous. No one but Nintendo knows how Nintendo is going to work.

On the other hand, if this is true, and it affects the types of games capable of being played and made for it, the price of the system or the games, or both, then this might be the first generation in which I'm -not- an early adapter for Nintendo. I've not the space (judging from Kinect Bullshit) nor the health(judging from the effect of the 3DS on my eyes) for VR, so I've no actual reason to support it.

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
Eh, I'll wait and see what they actually reveal. (Hopefully, we'll get some whispers at E3, but Ninty looks to be tight lipped until long after E3.) Like others have said, the tech to run decent VR is pricey,, and Ninty has been shy of pricey consoles for a decade and wasn't interested in VR even when everyone else was slobbering over it. If they are even remotely looking into VR, this rumored move is probably just to add some extra RAM or whatever else they find the NX lacking to run VR well, something that can be used for non-VR things. They probably won't even release a retail VR headset until they know VR is a reasonable investment. Even if the do jump on the bandwagon, their games likely won't be as demanding as other VR games, especially if the console is the handheld/home console hybrid we've been thinking it is.

The rumor is likely BS, though. They known about the capabilities of VR and what market VR would appeal to. Also, some of the old guard is probably still sore over the Virtual Boy. It might be the one major gimmick Nintendo will let others experiment with and and take risks upon.
JCAll said:
I like that, but I'd go with "whatever it takes to get a real Metroid game after 9 years of waiting," at this point.
Devin Barker said:
Man, I was considering buying a WiiU when they announced this thing was going to release this year. Now its being pushed band and getting a bunch of features that I most likely will never use... maybe I will just go get a WiiU.
Depending on your budget and how eager you are for something different, you may want to wait until details of the NX start coming from Nintendo or the holiday shopping season comes. Nintendo has the Wii U on life support with Zelda coverage, yet hasn't made an effort to compete with the other systems' bundles. There are no high profile games (besides maybe the new Skylanders, which is multiplatform) coming out in the fall season to prop up the Wii U. Some retailers might want to clear out the shelves with sales or bundles around that time, if Nintendo won't drop the MSRP down about $50. If might be enough to get an extra game for free, compared to buying one in the next few months.

Devin Barker

Aug 10, 2012
Hairless Mammoth said:
Eh, I'll wait and see what they actually reveal. (Hopefully, we'll get some whispers at E3, but Ninty looks to be tight lipped until long after E3.) Like others have said, the tech to run decent VR is pricey,, and Ninty has been shy of pricey consoles for a decade and wasn't interested in VR even when everyone else was slobbering over it. If they are even remotely looking into VR, this rumored move is probably just to add some extra RAM or whatever else they find the NX lacking to run VR well, something that can be used for non-VR things. They probably won't even release a retail VR headset until they know VR is a reasonable investment. Even if the do jump on the bandwagon, their games likely won't be as demanding as other VR games, especially if the console is the handheld/home console hybrid we've been thinking it is.

The rumor is likely BS, though. They known about the capabilities of VR and what market VR would appeal to. Also, some of the old guard is probably still sore over the Virtual Boy. It might be the one major gimmick Nintendo will let others experiment with and and take risks upon.
JCAll said:
I like that, but I'd go with "whatever it takes to get a real Metroid game after 9 years of waiting," at this point.
Devin Barker said:
Man, I was considering buying a WiiU when they announced this thing was going to release this year. Now its being pushed band and getting a bunch of features that I most likely will never use... maybe I will just go get a WiiU.
Depending on your budget and how eager you are for something different, you may want to wait until details of the NX start coming from Nintendo or the holiday shopping season comes. Nintendo has the Wii U on life support with Zelda coverage, yet hasn't made an effort to compete with the other systems' bundles. There are no high profile games (besides maybe the new Skylanders, which is multiplatform) coming out in the fall season to prop up the Wii U. Some retailers might want to clear out the shelves with sales or bundles around that time, if Nintendo won't drop the MSRP down about $50. If might be enough to get an extra game for free, compared to buying one in the next few months.
Yah this was my fear. mostly I just like to drink with folks and play the party games on the wii (mario cart and mario party and stuff) and I know the Wii U had new vsns. but I dont want to drop the $ on it and have the price drop of have the new console come out and do more of those titles. The lack of other titles does not bother me as much, I bought a ps4 (it was a big deal, normally I am a PC master race kind of guy) but I wanted to try uncharted and I NEED to play KH3 when it drops (I have a serious addiction to those games... no idea why) but other than that I have not really seen any ps4 games that look worth it (open to sugestions... anyone?) but you have confirmed my fears so I will probably stay away from the Wii U until I see more on the "NX"... ok Im done babbling now... sorry its a slow day at work...

Kyogissun

Notably Neutral
Jan 12, 2010
JESUS CHRIST, FUCKING STOP!

FIRST IT WAS MOTION CONTROLS THEN IT WAS 3D AND NOW IT'S FUCKING VR!

JUST FUCKING STOP! JESUS FUCKING CHRIST! JUST MAKE BETTER GAMES AND STOP BANKING ON THIS TECH WHICH NARROWS THE SPECTRUM OF DESIGN AND ACCESSIBILITY! ALL YOU NEED IS A CONTROLLER/KEYBOARD+MOUSE, A SCREEN, SOME SOUND AND YOU'RE GOOD TO GO! HOLY FUCKING FUCK, JUST STOP!

...I'm just, I'm really tired of hearing about all this shit and seeing many companies just turn tail and abandon the support of it, going back to the old method of control device + audio/video and then just pretending it never happened. The innovation of the game industry lies in design and VR is not guaranteed to be the future of it.

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
Kyogissun said:
Jesus snip
Holy shit man, calm down. The world isn't ending, no need to all caps rage. If you checked out a link someone here posted, as well as my thread made elaborating on what it entails, then the chances of this being false rumors are higher than you'd think. The source has a history of being unreliable with its rumors and speculations, so I doubt this is going to happen

Xman490

Doctorate in Danger
May 29, 2010
Good thing I'm getting to the age where I care less about games (e.g. I'm still only 5 chapters into Dark Souls III), because this VR and not-on-E3 nonsense would have made me sick of it.

Jan 19, 2016
Every time I hear about what Nintendo is planning, I become more convinced they have no idea what they are doing and are just throwing ideas out there and hoping something sticks. Mind you, I haven't owned a Nintendo system since SNES, so IDGAF either way.

Fulbert

Jan 15, 2009
AzrealMaximillion said:
Fulbert said:
AzrealMaximillion said:
Fulbert said:
Oh Nintendo. What happened to the times when you were the first to introduce a gimmick and let others try and catch up?
Who "caught up" with the Virtual Boy? The Power Glove? Game Boy Camera/ Printer? Link Cable? Tablet Controls? Granted Sony and MS did some motion control stuff but they easily surpassed the Wii's own gimmick which wasn't even being utilized by the majority of games on the console by 3 years into that gen.
Yeah, they surpassed it alright. Especially the Kinect which ended up being the worldwide gaming community punchline. Or the Sony Move - though admittedly Sony were quick to sweep it under the rug before people started pointing fingers and laughing. Some intense surpassing that was.
On a technical level they surpassed the Wii Motion gimmick by miles, then realized like most people not making exercise games for the Wii that no one cared about motion controls. If the Kinect is a punchline, then the Wii-U is a hell of a closing bit.
One-hundred-million-units-sold closing bit, that is.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
Fulbert said:
AzrealMaximillion said:
Fulbert said:
AzrealMaximillion said:
Fulbert said:
One-hundred-million-units-sold closing bit, that is.
And while losing profits in the last few years of it too. Wii-Motion was a feature that stopped being used by the vast majority of Wii games (exclusives included) halfway through its generation. The 360 and PS4 tried their motion control stuff near the end of their generations. They both vastly surpassed Nintendo in technical aspects of the gimmick. Something your first post on this matter was about. They beat the innovator at their own game and found that just about as many people bought motion control titles as people who bought Wii games that weren't mainstay Nintendo franchises. Not much at all.

As for ditching of the feature, that didn't really happen. The PS Move controllers compatible with the PS4, and Sony is doing VR. They're also making a PS4 Move controller, much like how the HTC Vive VR has motion control sticks. The Kinect basically is a cheaper way of having Smart TV features for Xbox One.

I have a PC so I don't really care for the "race" of console tech innovations, but Nintendo tends to bring cool new features to their consoles and never really carry on building them to heightened levels. Name a 3DS game where the 3D matters past 2014. Or a Wii game besides Skyward Sword where Wii-Motion was integral in the Wii's last 2-3 years.