REPORT: Proposed Gremlins Reboot Actually a Sequel

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
REPORT: Proposed Gremlins Reboot Actually a Sequel

Original writer Chris Columbus may bring Gizmo and friends back to the big screen

Late on Wednesday, Slashfilm says [http://www.tracking-board.com/tb-exclusive-chris-columbus-is-on-board-to-produce-gremlins-remake/] they have a source who claims the film is not a remake, but a "sequel-style reboot" set 30 years after the original - i.e. in the present day.

Released in 1984 from director Joe Dante and producer Steven Spielberg, the original Gremlins was a horror comedy about a young man who receives a mysterious pet named Gizmo as a Christmas present - a "mogwai" whose care includes a strict set of rules including not being fed after midnight and no exposure to water. Disregarding said rules cause Gizmo to spawn a small army of more aggressive mogwai who subsequently mutate into hideous creatures believed to be the "Gremlins" of WWII-era folk legend, seemingly driven not only to cause murder and mayhem but do so while making a macabre mockery of the small town's Christmastime iconography. A more comedy-heavy 1990 sequel, Gremlins 2: The New Batch, found a new army of genetically-modified Gremlins taking over a New York high-rise.

No details of the proposed storyline for the new film have been named, but the phrase "reboot-style sequel" would plausibly suggest a scenario whereby Gizmo would come into the care of a new family, likely leading to a repeat of events similar to those of the first film. Original star Zach Galligan has expressed interest in returning, but no casting has been set and no director has been named.

Source: Slashfilm [http://www.slashfilm.com/chris-columbus-gremlins-remake-goonies-sequel/]

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
Nothing the world needs more than a new entry in the Gremlins mythos.

Seriously, these movies do not hold up. I liked them when they were new, but has anyone watched them on cable over the last 10 years? They're pretty terrible.

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
ZZoMBiE13 said:

Seriously, these movies do not hold up. I liked them when they were new, but has anyone watched them on cable over the last 10 years? They're pretty terrible.
I have, and still do. They hold a special place in my childhood right beside the Neverending Story and Mad Max movies.

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
Remus said:
ZZoMBiE13 said:

I have, and still do. They hold a special place in my childhood right beside the Neverending Story and Mad Max movies.
Yeah, I saw them at the cinema.

I'm not saying that you shouldn't love them. It's fine to love crappy junk from our younger days. Hell I absolutely LOVE Stallone's Demolition Man, but I'd never call it a good movie. And I would cringe at the thought of a remake because the version I love already exists. I saw it not long before marriage and having a kid, it represents a more innocent less stressful time.

But do you really think the world needs a new CGI version of Gizmo? While an actor stares blank-eyed at a table trying to pretend he's feeling affection for air? There is a slim chance we could get an interesting fun Gremlins that works, but more likely it'll be Alvin and the Chipmunks all over again. Hell they may even hire Jason Lee! DID YOU THINK ABOUT THAT????

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
ZZoMBiE13 said:

I've watched both recently, and they're both hilarious black comedies. The first one is still my favorite, but the second one is just batshit insane looney tunes with carnage.

Grabehn

Sep 22, 2012
ZZoMBiE13 said:

I have, and several times, but if anything, I just wish the new one (if it happens) just either stays far from CGI or does a beyond-superb work of it, because shitty CGI will just... no.

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
Soviet Heavy said:
ZZoMBiE13 said:

I've watched both recently, and they're both hilarious black comedies. The first one is still my favorite, but the second one is just batshit insane looney tunes with carnage.
I loved Raiders of the Lost Ark, it didn't make Crystal Skull a good idea though.

And Gremlins was a Spielberg film too, so I see no reason to feel hopeful that we'll get a charming update to an old film but rather we'll get more CGI monkey swinging and probably Shia Labeouf.

I really don't like being the cynical douche in the thread. That's not my default setting or anything. But Gremlins? It's already a shaky property and Spielberg's updates haven't been a golden brick road as far as I'm concerned. If it turns out great, well I'll happily say I was wrong. But I'd say it's highly likely it'll either be a dark and gritty update or a CGI fueled empty shell.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
ZZoMBiE13 said:
Soviet Heavy said:
ZZoMBiE13 said:

I loved Raiders of the Lost Ark, it didn't make Crystal Skull a good idea though.

And Gremlins was a Spielberg film too, so I see no reason to feel hopeful that we'll get a charming update to an old film but rather we'll get more CGI monkey swinging and probably Shia Labeouf.

I really don't like being the cynical douche in the thread. That's not my default setting or anything. But Gremlins? It's already a shaky property and Spielberg's updates haven't been a golden brick road as far as I'm concerned. If it turns out great, well I'll happily say I was wrong. But I'd say it's highly likely it'll either be a dark and gritty update or a CGI fueled empty shell.
I'm not sure what you've trying to say. I'm really not interested in seeing a new Gremlins movie, but you said in your post that you want to and the old movies are terrible? And now you're saying that a new movie would be bad?

Which is it? I was just commenting on your opinion that the old movies are somehow terrible now.

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
Soviet Heavy said:
ZZoMBiE13 said:
Soviet Heavy said:
ZZoMBiE13 said:

I'm not sure what you've trying to say. I'm really not interested in seeing a new Gremlins movie, but you said in your post that you want to and the old movies are terrible? And now you're saying that a new movie would be bad?

Which is it? I was just commenting on your opinion that the old movies are somehow terrible now.
I got three quotes in quick succession, all basically happy to tell me I'm wrong. It's entirely possible that the replies can bleed into one another. Sorry if I didn't address your specific point.

I really don't think they hold up that well anymore. But to each their own. If you dig em, then dig em. But even having seen them in the theaters leaves me with no nostalgia for them. Black comedy or not, sometimes a thing is just "of the moment". For me, I think Gremlins is one of them.

EDIT: Double checked. Yeah, I grabbed the wrong quote when I wrote that. Sorry for any confusion. :)

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Well, as long as that damned mogwai is still alive the threat of gremlins is ever present.

I can honestly say I never really liked the first one much at all. Gizmo looked mangy, the puppets in general looked kinda bad, and the tone of the movie wasn't so much 'horror comedy', but vanilla horror with badly done comedy segments. Gremlins 2 however is frikking wonderful and I still love it to this day.

Anyway, it's not like nobody didn't see this coming. Every last 80's classic is getting a squeeze for some extra bucks. Back to the Future is probably not far off.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
I heard the were going to weaponize the Gremlins by giving them cybernetics and guns. Oh, wait. That was Jurassic Park 4.

Let's kick this up a notch shall we? Go for an R18 rating, not some piddly PG13 *cough* Robocop *cough* crap.

MrBaskerville

Mar 15, 2011
ZZoMBiE13 said:

I think the first one is brilliant and not just because of nostalgia (didnt't wacth it as a kid^^ and i don't watch movies to remember the past, i wacth movies to experience the movies), i just think it's a well made horror comedy with a hell of a lot of charm. The second one is what it is, i'm not much of a fan of that one.

With that said, i really don't see any point of reviving the franchise, a remake would probably be terrible and it certainly wouldn't add anything to the original and i don't see much point in a sequel either. It's a product of its time and that's one of the things that really works for it, the can't recreate that outside of the 80s.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
The not feeding after midnight is a stupid rule. After all 8am is after midnight or when they are born they should never be fed after their first midnight. An what about time zones, do they reset themselves? lol. Anyway i would like a new Gremlins movie, though im on the fence about whether i would like it cgi or not. Im nostalgic for the puppets.

Riff Moonraker

Mar 18, 2010
Remus said:
ZZoMBiE13 said:

Bingo. My sentiments, exactly. I adored the first movie, and while nowhere near as good, also liked the second. I would go see a new Gremlins... just make sure it still has Gizmo! Just remember, dont expose them to bright light, dont get them wet, and whatever you do.... never, ever, feed them after midnight!

prowll

Aug 19, 2008
SonOfVoorhees said:
The not feeding after midnight is a stupid rule. After all 8am is after midnight or when they are born they should never be fed after their first midnight. An what about time zones, do they reset themselves? lol. Anyway i would like a new Gremlins movie, though im on the fence about whether i would like it cgi or not. Im nostalgic for the puppets.
The rule makes sense in context (Context being something completely missing from the movie), as most magic traditions hold 'midnight to sunup' to be the time for bad magic, so feeding them creates the bad magic in them... yeah. However, that would make more sense if they were not so damn light sensative....

lastjustice

Jun 29, 2004
I'm good with another run of gremlins. I'm sure they'd want to use practical effects, as the BT commercial from a few years ago created new gremlins to film it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iA1iQm413No (and making of http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCTlDj0f6go )

Seeing a new take on them, they got the spirit of gremlins down perfectly in the minute and half commercial. Hearing the classical score as the mayhem ensues just brought a smile to my face. (my sisters kids wanted rewatch it immediately afterwards.) It makes me believe it could be done right. Sure they can use CGI for crowd shots or anything that would be too hard to do with puppets, but if the majority of puppets, I think it could be cool.

Could it be a horribly bad movie, but nothing is ever too big to fail. There's no bad ideas, only bad execution of them.