Report: Russian Man Wants to Sue Bethesda Over Fallout 4 Addiction

Mister K

This is our story.
Apr 25, 2011
RealRT said:
You know, I'm getting a hunch that you never actually talked to a Russian, let alone been in Russia.
------------------
In case you're wondering, the guy from OP is just as much of a laughing stock out here as he is everywhere else.
Been to Russia quite a few times, talked with a few Russians. From my personal experience, Russians preffer to let higher-ups deal with problems rather than deal with them themselves (unless it's something higher-ups can't be arsed to do, like changing lightbulbs or cleaning floors in apartment buildings). But maybe it is so only in Moscow and St.-Petersburg. Maybe other cities and towns are crowning examples of civil concience and responsibility, I wouldn't know.
------------------
Good, lazy ass deserves it.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
No sympathy. Frivolous lawsuits make me laugh at people's inability to take responsibility for their own stupidity. Stop wasting oxygen, sir. We can't repel foolishness of this magnitude, but we can sure as hell laugh our asses off at it.
At least I will.

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
Mister K said:
RealRT said:
You know, I'm getting a hunch that you never actually talked to a Russian, let alone been in Russia.
------------------
In case you're wondering, the guy from OP is just as much of a laughing stock out here as he is everywhere else.
Been to Russia quite a few times, talked with a few Russians. From my personal experience, Russians preffer to let higher-ups deal with problems rather than deal with them themselves (unless it's something higher-ups can't be arsed to do, like changing lightbulbs or cleaning floors in apartment buildings). But maybe it is so only in Moscow and St.-Petersburg. Maybe other cities and towns are crowning examples of civil concience and responsibility, I wouldn't know.
I find it really hard to swallow considering that all the trust an average Russian person has for any sort of higher ups amounts to Jack and shit. And Jack left town.
Then again, what sort of problems are we talking about here?

Mister K

This is our story.
Apr 25, 2011
RealRT said:
Mister K said:
RealRT said:
------------------
I find it really hard to swallow considering that all the trust an average Russian person has for any sort of higher ups amounts to Jack and shit. And Jack left town.
Then again, what sort of problems are we talking about here?
Heck if I know... It was something about dumb guy and Fallout 4... I think. Don't quote me on that.

Sheo_Dagana

Aug 12, 2009
Yeah, and I guess my roommate oughta sue Square Enix because she discovered Final Fantasy XIV during Grad School, got addicted, and failed out because she spent more time raiding than working. I probably drink too much, but I'm not about to sue Amsterdam Vodka for making their berry flavored vodka so goddamn tasty (and oh so easy to mix with most things).

It's not like I don't get it. I picked up Fallout 4 and started playing it before running some errands one day, just to do "one quest." I think we all know how that turns out. But whose fault was it that when I looked at the clock all I could say was "shit, I had things to do today"? Mine. Only mine.

Speaking of, has anyone ever tried to sue Blizzard before? I'm curious because I know quite a few people that have lost/quit their jobs and lost spouses over World of Warcraft. I stand by my above argument, but I'm just curious as to how often this sort of thing happens.

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
Mister K said:
RealRT said:
Heck if I know... It was something about dumb guy and Fallout 4... I think. Don't quote me on that.
Real funny. I was asking what sort of troubles have witnessed first hand that people relayed to their higher ups instead of dealing with them?

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
Mister K said:
Sigmund Av Volsung said:
Mister K said:
Yes, and every anime series should come with the same warning, because some people simply can't stop watching.

F***er probably wants to find any reason for him being a failure rather than admiting that he is the one at fault.
Gaming in Russia is not the same past-time as it is here(assuming we're talking about the West), so it's not outside the bounds of reason that this could happen.

It's still bullshit, but I'm too jaded from hearing those kind of attitudes in countries very close to Russia to care anymore.

I mean Sims 4 was banned because it was designated as gay propaganda.
Look, Russians don't have a tradition of taking a responsibility for their own actions. It is not a fault of an ordinary person, since Russia has a long history of delegating rights and responsibilities of people to the government. This is the reason why many russians blame problems on others and not themselves. They are simply not used to acting differently.

Heck, where I live we also have a problem like this, but slowly and surely we are trying to change things.
If this is true, it's honestly freaking sad. I understand how spending generations in a State-managed country could create this kind of attitude, but still.

Bethesda didn't make him buy the game. They didn't make him play it. They didn't make him neglect everything else for the sake of more gaming time. He bought the game and he made his own damn mistakes.

I figure Bethesda will settle out of court to avoid creating a case precedent.

Solkard

Sep 29, 2014
I hope Bethesda is smart enough to not settle. This will set precedent for others to sue video game companies, simply on the expectation of a settlement payday. Heck, Bethesda even have a MMO game on the market. If they're willing to roll over and give credence to addiction accusations aimed at a single player game, that's just asking to be kicked in the nuts for the skinner box system MMOs are built around.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Burn him, Bethesda. Show no mercy and bury him in the dirt where he belongs. If the man has no self control, it is hardly the game's fault.

thewatergamer

Aug 4, 2012
Sounds like a great idea! I'm going to sue valve for making me waste all those hundreds of ours playing games on steam!

Either he's an attention-whore or he has major problems that have nothing to do with gaming, and as for the arguments that "Bethesda should just pay him, it's not alot" that would just validate this type of frivolous bullshit, so how about we just not? I'm sorry, I just don't have sympathy for people like this

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Wait. RT? As in Russia Today? My bullshit alarm in tingling. And I don't even mean because this would be a frivolous bullshit lawsuit.

Russia Today is one of a few state run "news agencies". I use that term loosely. The Escapist is a more respectable source of world news than Russia Today. It's basically a source of Russian Propaganda. I would take anything it reports with a whole salt shaker.

Parasondox

Jun 15, 2013
Saltyk said:
Wait. RT? As in Russia Today? My bullshit alarm in tingling. And I don't even mean because this would be a frivolous bullshit lawsuit.

Russia Today is one of a few state run "news agencies". I use that term loosely. The Escapist is a more respectable source of world news than Russia Today. It's basically a source of Russian Propaganda. I would take anything it reports with a whole salt shaker.
WHHHAAAAAAAAATTT, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. You mean their shitty attitude towards Russia doing something obviously wrong and then saying "well the west is doing much worse"...

"We may have a disliking to gays but the US has a bad record when it comes to gay rights. I mean, yeah, we do too, we think they touch kids but THE US!!! LOOK AT THEM!!"

Parasondox

Jun 15, 2013
*****, Please.

Here is another case of someone not taking responsibility for their own actions and blaming it on others and the old "video games made me do", trait.

Get your lazy, pathetic, BO creating, vodka wasting, "I wrestle bear with bare hands" rejecting ass away from the TV, get a shower and go outside for fuck sakes. Sloths are less slow and lazy than you. Video games did nothing. That's all on you.

FillerDmon

Jun 6, 2014
Assuming this is even remotely true, and I have heavy doubts that anyone could go without eating, sleeping, or crapping, let alone working for the money to be able to afford this "addiction" for 3 weeks, why the hell is it Bethesda's fault? No one else got "addicted".

I know that gaming can be addicting, just like anything that gives pleasure (drugs, eating, smoking, drinking, sex) can be addicting. Our bodies crave things that make us feel good. And sometimes it is outside of people's control and they do need help (just like with weight loss, addiction help, or other psychological disorders).

At the same time, at that point you go and seek help; don't try to blame other people for it. Get help and get your shit back together. It's as simple as that. And that's coming from someone who, until recently, would spend 10 hours a day gaming, working -around- my work and sleep schedule to do so (usually at the detriment of the later). Some say that this is a Russian thing, but if that's the case, then I hope I don't sound too racist when I say fuck anyone with that mindset and any community or culture that fosters "It's not my problem, even when it's the result of my actions".

... I think that's actually worse than the "YOLO" mindset.

Chungus

The memes, Jack!
Mar 25, 2012
I was expecting this to be a Psychic Taco report. I guess that goes to show fact is indeed stranger than fiction.

I wonder what makes this guy believe he even remotely stands a chance at successfully claiming "compensation", though. Admittedly, I know squat about procedures like this, but surely it won't fly.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Li Mu said:
I am based in Moscow and Moscow is very different to the rest of Russia. But here, gaming is certainly no less common than anywhere else in the west. Perhaps in Krasnoyask there isn't a single person with a PS4, but I wouldn't know since I don't live there and am not about to make assumptions.
For whatever it's worth, I spent months in Vladivostok, in various people's houses, and nary a console to be seen. Heck, not even any video game ads on TV. (And they told me "Don't bother with Moscow, it's different," so I'll believe you there.)

Anyways, this hardly seems to be a Russia-only thing. I've heard of this before elsewhere as well. At least the guy didn't keel over dead, as we've seen in Korea.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
The fuck. It took me four days to complete the main quest (which bugged to shit costing me hours), probably over 50% of the sidequests, and COMBING the entire map for every little bit of interesting areas.

This guy is really bad at video games.

Li Mu

Oct 17, 2011
RealRT said:
Li Mu said:
I am based in Moscow and Moscow is very different to the rest of Russia. But here, gaming is certainly no less common than anywhere else in the west. Perhaps in Krasnoyask there isn't a single person with a PS4, but I wouldn't know since I don't live there and am not about to make assumptions.
I know you muscovites don't think highly of us out here in regions, but come on, it's a city with over a million people in it, of course there are console gamers there.
I wasn't being serious. It was an absurd hypothetical.
Also, I'm not a Muscovite. I just work here. :)

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
EHKOS said:
The fuck. It took me four days to complete the main quest (which bugged to shit costing me hours), probably over 50% of the sidequests, and COMBING the entire map for every little bit of interesting areas.

This guy is really bad at video games.
It's hardly his fault Abernathy's wife/daughter is kidnapped every 24 hours.