Report: Studio Ghibli May Be Shutting Down - Update

WindKnight

Quiet, Odd Sort.
Legacy
Jul 8, 2009
Cephiro
Country
United Kingdom
please excuse me while I fall forward and go 'thud'.

Well... nothing more to say, apart from the news still hurt more than the fall did. At least I still have my dvd's.

DaWaffledude

Apr 23, 2011
J Tyran said:
Only a few more to go and the world will be free of this anime curse, I'm sure the "artists" will be fine. They can get careers producing their fetish material on Deviant Art for donations or something.
You've... Never watched a studio Ghibli film, have you?

Uriel_Hayabusa

Apr 7, 2014
As an anime fan who has loved more than a few works from this studio, I can't help but find this sad news. In regards to entertainment of course.

Ragsnstitches

Dec 2, 2009

I did not hear these rumors, which makes this news all the more shocking. Knowing how reserved Japan can be when it comes to public relations, I doubt we'll never really find out why they are shutting down. I can't believe one underwhelming release is enough to take down such long running studio.

What's even more gut wrenching is I just finished my Ghibli collection... the feels are still fresh.

omega 616 said:
... Who?

I've never heard of this studio or any of the titles listed, I've heard of Ni no Kuni but thought it looked bad, as most indie stuff does, so I skipped it.

Then again, I think a large chunk of anime is pretty bad. Everybody praised FMA, so I watched it and after 30 episodes (I gave it time to get good) I was so fucking bored I stopped watching, not to mention the intro had to be the worst ever ... constantly telling us about equivalent exchange.
Ni No Kuni... indie? I don't think you understand what Indie means. Level 5 developed this in conjunction with Ghibli and it was published by Namco Bandai. This is the opposite of indie.

Also, maybe you should give Ghibli a try. FMA isn't Ghibli, heck most anime isn't Ghibli. Fair enough if you don't like the stuff, but don't completely dismiss something before you try it.

Try "Princess Mononoke" or "Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind". They are a little more action focused then the rest of their catalogue. Other popular films are Spirited Away (often considered Japans variant of Alice in Wonderland) and Howl's Moving Castle. On their more gritty end of things, you also have "Grave of the Fireflies". Depending on how much you take to depressing Dramas, this ones quite different from Ghiblis typical narrative style.

J Tyran said:
Only a few more to go and the world will be free of this anime curse, I'm sure the "artists" will be fine. They can get careers producing their fetish material on Deviant Art for donations or something.
While the sentiment towards Anime in general is something I can totally get behind, I don't think you realise this studio was one of those studios that actually produced quality works, and who hadn't fallen into the fetish fuelled industry anime has become known for.

I'm guessing you never watched a Ghibli film but if you did I would love to know what you considered "fetish" material in it.

Halla Burrica

May 18, 2014
It's sad to see such a talented studio go, but nothing can last forever, and if those involved with the studio felt now is the time to let go, I will honour that decision, just like I honor Bill Watterson's decision of ending Calvin and Hobbes when he felt it was time. It's better to end on a good note, when you are still recognized as a name of talent and creativity, than keeping the vehicle going for money, despite there being almost no gas left in the tank.
The legacy these people leave has much more worth than a few pockets of money can ever hope to have.

Redryhno

Jul 25, 2011
Eri said:
It's funny to me how many people yell that Ghibli is the pinnacle of anime. And others say similar things (such as "it's the only real anime!"), and yet, clearly they aren't the best around or they wouldn't be shutting down.

I'm not glad to see a studio close, but they are certainly the most over-hyped anime studio around. I'll be glad to no longer have to hear people drone on and on about them.
Hey, Mozart's considered one of the pinnacles of music, he died broke and sleeping in his own shit because he couldn't afford coal. And whether or not you consider Ghibli over-hyped(they are, but only slightly) doesn't matter when they've given most of the rest of the anime world their start, either by giving them jobs, inspiration, or just introducing the fans to the medium.

And exactly what fans of Ghibli have you been around? The only people I hear say the type of shit you're quoting are the people that haven't bothered to watch anything besides Spirited Away and Ponyo(ie the snobs that are snobs because it's cool to be a snob).

AstaresPanda

Nov 5, 2009
ah....wtf....noo.why.shit.fuck. Sad times indeed, i have some good childhood memories of castle in the sky. Im really lost for word just sucks

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
That's "Nausicaä." Don't forget the umlaut.

More on-topic, these are not pleasant news. I went to see The Wind Rises this year, and I had a good time. I wish I could have made that a tradition.

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
The world doesn't make sense anymore. I knew there would be issues when Miyazaki retired, but shutting down? Fuck, this is like a bad dream.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
If this is true, then that's... honestly depressing. I heard Miyazaki was retiring, but I thought the studio would still continue... dang.

EDIT: So they might not close after all? Phew, that's a relief... Wonder who's gonna be in charge now...

faefrost

Jun 2, 2010
To remind all Disney also shut their traditional 2d animation arm a few years ago. The costs on that style of animation are rising. The returns are diminishing. Ghibli made big theatrical movies. But the market for 2d hand drawn animated movies has died.

Also take note Ghibli itself does not appear to be closing. Just the animation studio. Which leaves hope that they may be considering reconstituting some form of 3d animation shop, much like Disney did.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
This is a joke right, this has to be a joke!?

FACK, SOMEONE TELL ME THIS IS A FREAKING JOKE, PLEEEEEEASE!!!

First the whole Japanese piracy thing, now this...

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007

That sincerely sucks. It's very much like hearing Disney is shutting down.

Sure, they may not output the "the greatest thing ever" with absolute consistency, but the quality material they do release is incredible.

Such a shame. My thanks goes out to them and Miyazaki for the fantastic films and the years of entertainment.

faefrost said:
To remind all Disney also shut their traditional 2d animation arm a few years ago. The costs on that style of animation are rising. The returns are diminishing. Ghibli made big theatrical movies. But the market for 2d hand drawn animated movies has died.

Also take note Ghibli itself does not appear to be closing. Just the animation studio. Which leaves hope that they may be considering reconstituting some form of 3d animation shop, much like Disney did.
It's still sad news. The lack of big-studio driven hand-drawn theatrical films is disappointing. Studio Ghibli being one of the few remaining to still craft such films means it's closure is still a heavy blow.

hentropy

Feb 25, 2012
Part of me really is devastated, but part of me also thinks that I'd rather see them end while the vast majority of their library is golden rather than trying to keep it alive in a certain amount of mediocrity.

Still, we'll likely not see the likes of such a studio again in a very long time, if at all.

Just a few days before Otakon, as well, it should be interesting.

PinkiePyro

Sep 26, 2010
omega 616 said:
... Who?

I've never heard of this studio or any of the titles listed, I've heard of Ni no Kuni but thought it looked bad, as most indie stuff does, so I skipped it.

Then again, I think a large chunk of anime is pretty bad. Everybody praised FMA, so I watched it and after 30 episodes (I gave it time to get good) I was so fucking bored I stopped watching, not to mention the intro had to be the worst ever ... constantly telling us about equivalent exchange.
I vote we duct tape him to a chair and make him watch grave of the fireflies