Report: Windows 9 Being Prepped For April 2015 Launch

Ace O'Hagen

May 28, 2013
oh god, Windows ME. I had that on an old HP laptop and it was nothing but a rolling BSoD. It was the Aliens: Colonial Marines of operating systems

Do4600

Oct 16, 2007
Well, from my perspective Windows 8 was worse than Windows ME and Windows Vista put together and multiplied by eight. Why? Because they assumed I use Windows because I actually want to use OSX. Fuck that.

If they want me to even consider Windows 9 as a option they will have to make something not meant for iphones.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
ABORT! ABORT! ABORT!

Here it is, Microsoft doing exactly what people told them they do not want. They said they want to aim for yearly release development cycles and simple fact is people do not, nor should want to have to pay a yearly tithe for their computer. PC users already have too much expense maintaining updated hardware, software should be the least of their concern. Is there any realistic need to have upgraded to Win8? Is there anything to legitimately justify win 9? Honestly the only thing that genuinely justified Win7 was DirectX. Had DirectX 10,11 been viable in XP environment you would still see people on XP.

In fact MS is painting themselves into a very dangerous corner. The more they keep pushing things they want but know no one else does, the more they push their users away straight into the welcoming arms of Linux. Hell wasnt a chunk of the reasoning for the SteamOS rooted in how Valve really was not happy with how MS was dictating too many things with Windows 8 and basically said "Pfft... we print money , we don't need you any more"?

So there is no rational (or hell even a manufactured one like DX for that matter) reason for there to be a windows 8 yet, much less a windows 9. Well unless the reason is they are determined to break the Even curse by releasing another OS far too soon no body has any reason to want, under an odd installment.

Suave Charlie

Pleasant Bastard
Sep 23, 2009
I liked vista, loved 7 and adore 8.1. Don't treat metro like a desktop, treat it as the start menu.

Then again others not liking whatever is running on my desktop doesn't ruin the experience for me.
People still swear that xp was a gift from god so I see no reason to try and debate the positives and negatives of an OS.

I likes it.

AstaresPanda

Nov 5, 2009
Ill stick with 7. I was still with XP untill about 2 years ago. Seems abit soon for windows 9 but then again 7 came out not too long after the pile of crap that was vista.

Apr 5, 2008
I'm an IT expert and PC gamer. I built myself a new gaming pc last September with an i7 Haswell and gtx780. I spent hours researching win 7 vs win 8 for my OS and opted for 8.

My reasoning was that I wanted to use the latest OS rather than a 3 year old one. Though I loathe the metro interface I use Start8 which returns the start menu, disabled all the gestures and'hot corners' and I never have to see the tiled metro screen ever.

While I do admit to missing the lovely transparencies from win 7, in all other ways my win 8 install behaves just like 7, except that it's much faster. It uses less overhead, boots faster and does everything quicker. I've had no issues with any games or software. I like the new task manager, have DX11.1 (though I know of no games that use it) and feel like I have a new pc.

There's not really a benefit to upgrading from win 7, but anyone getting a new pc should get 8, then use Start8 to bring back the start menu and disable the tablet interface.

grigjd3

Mar 4, 2011
I use Windows 8.1 at work. From a technical standpoint, it does many good things that Windows 7 handled worse. The user interface on 8 was clearly designed for handheld devices though and is not very good at all for a desktop/laptop configuration.