Repro carts.

CastletonSnob

Elite Member
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
Have you ever bought a repro cart of a game?

I think repro carts can be a way to play a game that's insanely expensive on original hardware without having to decide which kidney to sell.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Not really a repro, but I accidently bought a bootleg of the gameboy advanced metalslug game off ebay. Didn't know it wasn't an original till it arrived and the case just felt cheap, ran fine though and the game was awesome.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Only once. Mother 3 with the translation patch applied. I could've gotten an original JPNcart, but that would still leave me with a game I can't read unless I learn Japanese, and wasn't feeling like doing that just to play one game. I considered this an reasonable alternative, albeit a rather grey one.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Haven't bought any far as I know, but I'm fully supportive of repro carts/disks as a measure against the insanity of the secondary market

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
I've thought about getting an Everdrive for the N64 since the emulator isn't all that good, but I haven't got around to it.

I have a bootleg version of Mario and Luigi: Partners in time, and maybe Disgaea DS, that I bought off Ebay.

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
I think they are fine though I personally wouldn't get one, much like @Drathnoxis I think something like the Everdrive is just more convenient, it allows you to circumvent all the emulation issues with the additional convenience that you don't need to go to your bookshelf to fetch the correct cartridge because you can have all the games on the same one, this is particularly better for portable devices like the Game Boy and DS lines as it also saves you the convenience of having to carry those tiny cartridges that could easily fall and be damaged or lost, which is fantastic, more convenient and less risk of damaging possibly collectible and expensive games.

That being said I do understand the appeal of reproduction carts as it does fill in for that compulsion to just have the thing on your shelf, I still wouldn't get one though.

Reactions: Drathnoxis