Republican Senatorial Committee Releases Platform Game

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
It looks like something a 6th grader made in a couple hours with GameMaker. They couldn't even get the backgrounds to work right. If they spent more than $5 on this they were ripped off.

Aardvaarkman

I am the one who eats ants!
Jul 14, 2011
Olas said:
It looks like something a 6th grader made in a couple hours with GameMaker. They couldn't even get the backgrounds to work right. If they spent more than $5 on this they were ripped off.
I think you're missing the point. They aren't being "ripped off" - they are funnelling supporter donations to their well-connected friends. If the developer did a good job, then that would take more resources and cost them more money, reducing profits. That would be downright un-American, and go against everything the Republicans stand for.

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
Aardvaarkman said:
Olas said:
I think you're missing the point. They aren't being "ripped off" - they are funnelling supporter donations to their well-connected friends. If the developer did a good job, then that would take more resources and cost them more money, reducing profits. That would be downright un-American, and go against everything the Republicans stand for.
It wouldn't take more resources to do a good job, I've seen tons of games far better than this that people made for free in their spare time. I'VE made better games for free in my spare time. This looks more like a homework assignment for a junior-high computer class than a real game.

SnakeoilSage

Sep 20, 2011
But why stop there? Continue your efforts to appeal to the youth in increasingly pathetic and shameless ways by creating Republican Go-Pops! Finally you can suck the orange-cream head of John Boehner, straight from your freezer!

Basement Cat

Keeping the Peace is Relaxing
Jul 26, 2012
Dango said:
Wait, they seriously named him "Giopi"? Like from Doraleous and Associates? Is the final level the invasion of the Geigh Kingdom?
I financially supported the Doraleous and Associates money bid and didn't even catch that reference.

Good eye!

I'm tempted to look this game up on one of my alternate e-mail addresses just to play it to see how it works. I've never...hrrrmmm...I can't recall ever playing a platform game. I jump between BioWare RPG's and MIGHTY Hidden Object Games. ^_^

OT: I'm actually impressed that the GOP is capable of coming up with something--ANYTHING--that may relate to this day's youth.

Aardvaarkman

I am the one who eats ants!
Jul 14, 2011
Olas said:
It wouldn't take more resources to do a good job, I've seen tons of games far better than this that people made for free in their spare time. I'VE made better games for free in my spare time. This looks more like a homework assignment for a junior-high computer class than a real game.
Exactly my point!

Establish a "game company" to make the game for the Republican Senatorial Committee. Charge $100,000 to "develop" the game. Have your 15-year old nephew make the game over a weekend, in exchange for a new Xbox.

Putting any more effort into the game would be extremely wasteful. Almost as wasteful as paying taxes! And the Xbox is probably paying too much, but hey, he's a relative!

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
Aardvaarkman said:
Olas said:
Exactly my point!

Establish a "game company" to make the game for the Republican Senatorial Committee. Charge $100,000 to "develop" the game. Have your 15-year old nephew make the game over a weekend, in exchange for a new Xbox.

Putting any more effort into the game would be extremely wasteful. Almost as wasteful as paying taxes! And the Xbox is probably paying too much, but hey, he's a relative!
Oh, now I see what you mean.

You certainly have the business savvy of a true American my friend.

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
Take back the Senate for the Republicans? But they already have a majority control over it! And the enemies are 'job-destroying taxpayers'? Wut?

And there's no way that this 'game' is going to win the Republicans any new members. The only people that are going to stumble upon it are 20-somethings on the internet that would never join the Republican party because they're fully aware of all the nebulous shit they keep pulling/attempt to pull, and would only play it to see how horrible it is.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
roseofbattle said:
In the lead up to midterm elections, the National Republican Senatorial Committee has a new tactic. The NRSC has released a retro, platform-styled game called Mission Majority to inspire players to support the Republican party.

Mission Majority stars an elephant (the Republican party's symbol) named Giopi (similar to GOP, another name for the Republican party), while the enemies in the game are "job-destroying taxpayers" who were sent by "[U.S. Senate Majority Leader] Harry Reid and President Obama." When jumping on top of the Taxers, soundbites from Democratic politicians play.
"Hello, my name is GOP, and I'd like you vote for Republicans. Our party is so very cool. You probably don't like taxes and neither do we"

BeerTent

Resident Furry Pimp
May 8, 2011
roseofbattle said:
[...]"job-destroying taxpayers"[..]
They're Tax-er's C'mon now.

So, I played it. With my email address. From start to finish. It's hilarious. I should have recorded it. It's so blaintly obvious.

I hope I get an email. I'm brewing up the most perfect troll email you can shake a stick at.

Pogilrup

Apr 1, 2013
Oh please if you want to do propaganda games do what the Chinese did:

Release a free-to-play FPS that turns your political opponents into faceless goons.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Players must log in via social media or an email address before they can play Mission Majority. The NRSC will then have a way of contacting who it suspects to be potential Republican voters for the coming midterm election. Players will also find a link in each level to support Republican politicians in the Senate.
...Strange game. The only winning movie is... not to play.

(Someone had to say it.)

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Me55enger said:
I forget you guys have the political colour references switched 'round over there - Red for the right wing, blue for the left.

Over here in the UK we use the colours correctly the other way around. Gets confusing.

This is undeniable truth that US politicians are still stuck in the 80's when it comes to Videogames.
the ideologies of the parties used to be switched around (democrats were the conservative ones) but that switched around long time ago.

masticina

Jan 19, 2011
I saw jim sterlings video on it.

Wow pathetic but at least you can get to the end. It isn't unbelievable broken just political pandering. It is about the level of quality of newsgrounds.

Yurp, nothing to see here just move along

Avalanche91

Jan 8, 2009
This was actually made (or comissioned) by the government?

And this is not the simpsons universe?

Or the southpark universe?

What I'm saying is that this is very cartoonesque.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
So, a bunch of men are digging a hole, a hole so deep that they can't get out of it. They have a lightning rod in the hole with them and it's starting to rain, filling the hole with water. Any minute now, lightning will strike and they will be electrocuted. Their response to the situation? DIG FASTER!!

That's how I see this.