Request for technical help

Ishadus

Apr 3, 2010
Okay...something has me baffled, and I was hoping someone could present me with a solution. Last week my Gears of War 2 stopped working. If I start it, the epic logo and MS logo goes by, but it freezes before the opening menu pops up. I cleaned the disc, popped it back in with the same result. I've experimented with many other games, and they've all been loading perfectly. Since then, I just borrowed my friends copy of GoW2 yesterday, and when I put it in, it freezes at the exact same spot that my copy did. The epic logo goes by, the MS logo goes by, but instead of being taken to the opening menu, the screen just stays black.

Does anybody have any explanation for this? Multiples discs freeze at the exact same spot, and my xbox isn't having trouble with any other games. If I can't get this worked out in a week, before the last bonus exp weekend, I likely won't be able to finish off my last two achievements (I'm like 2/3 through level 98 in multiplayer, and only about 100 kills off of seriously 2.0). Hitting this problem when I'm like 2 feet away from the finish line is quite frustrating.

So ideas? Possible solutions? Thanks in advance to anyone who replies.

A Satanic Panda

Nov 5, 2009
You could try clearing the Xbox's game cache which removes all updates and see if that helps, or install the game to your hard drive.

Ishadus

Apr 3, 2010
Installing the game to my hard drive is still giving me a prompt to insert the game disc when I try and play it from my game library. Which, frankly, makes no sense to me.

Dark Sup3rn0va

Jul 14, 2009
Ishadus said:
Installing the game to my hard drive is still giving me a prompt to insert the game disc when I try and play it from my game library. Which, frankly, makes no sense to me.
You have to insert the game disc as it wants to know you own the game. Otherwise you could just rent a game, install to the HDD and return the game but have a free copy. Think before you post :).

Ishadus

Apr 3, 2010
Dark Sup3rn0va said:
Ishadus said:
You have to insert the game disc as it wants to know you own the game. Otherwise you could just rent a game, install to the HDD and return the game but have a free copy. Think before you post :).
Well that stab at the end wasn't particularly necessary. Forgive me for not looking for ways to steal, however obvious they may be to you.

Either way, it's still freezing at the same spot. Downloading to my HD and clearing the cache hasn't resolved whatever the problem is...So, any other suggestions?

Ishadus

Apr 3, 2010
ElektroNeko said:
Already tried a few other games? If they also glitch/don't start, the laser movement mechanism might be dry. Try to smear it in with some Vaseline if that is the case.
Yeah, other games are still running fine, and this freezing thing has now happened on two seperate copies of the disc.

Ishadus

Apr 3, 2010
ElektroNeko said:
Ishadus said:
Yeah, other games are still running fine, and this freezing thing has now happened on two seperate copies of the disc.
Then it's most likely a cache/installation corruption. Try reinstalling the game and/or clearing the cache. If that doesn't work, try removing your save file (Don't forget to backup it first of course!)
Thanks for the suggestions, unfortunately none of that has worked. I did discover something though; I created a dummy xbox profile and gave it a stab with that, and the game booted up normally. So there's nothing wrong with any of the hardware or the disc. If there's some manner of corruption, it's linked with loading the game while logged into my gamer profile. Happens whether or not I'm signed into xbl, ie it freezes online or offline if I'm signed into my gamer profile.

So...yeah. Not sure what to do about that. I can play the game, so that's good. But since GoW3 is coming out so shortly, my primary concern was just picking up those last two achievements and 100%ing the game as I likely won't play it anymore once 3 hits the shelves.

So this is pretty bizare...um...any new suggestions? :p