Research Warns of Crazy, Computer-Eating Ant Invasion

TrulyBritish

Jan 23, 2013
shrekfan246 said:
TrulyBritish said:
Orbot_Vectorman said:
hmm... who got hold my lab subjects and set them free?.....
So you are the insidious fiend who created these pests? I had just invented my "Red-ant-controlling-helmet....inator" and now it is useless!
Curses! FOILED AGAIN!

OT: As long as they don't come all the way up north to Vermont...

Though my brother does live in Florida.

What a quandary.

All I know is, I'd freak out if I saw a nest of these bastards hiding under my bed one day, waiting to chew through me electronics.
Hey, where'd you find that pic of me?!
Mind you, one good thing comes out of this... at least the machines won't be rising up in America anytime soon.
Capthca: "hello, world"
Oh bugger, they've gotten into the internet already!

MASTACHIEFPWN

Will fight you and lose
Mar 27, 2010
Contain them, whatever the coast may be.
I'm counting on the south to dig a moat. A big fucking moat. For the sake of all that is human, don't let these bastards spread northward.

geldonyetich

Aug 2, 2006
Grey Carter said:
Even better, the crazy ants are difficult to kill.
On the contrary, sounds like all you have to do is put out some decoy wires running a sufficient electrical charge and clean up the dead ant debris some time to time.

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
Fire Ants?

More like FIRE FIRE AT THE ANTS!

yeah yeah, I'm GOING already.

Rockario

Mar 10, 2011
At least they're eating the wires because they're crazy and not because they're smart...I hope. Otherwise we might be dealing with a "Phase IV" [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuhgBvOWb_k] situation.

Extra-Ordinary

Elite Member
Mar 17, 2010
That is the most metal f*****g thing I'm going to read all week.
Next they're going to drill sunglasses into their temples and start saying
"I never asked for this."

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Why don't we just make "electricity traps" for them? Just a box with a really tough wire, say out of steel or something with a shit load of current. Then the ants will just continuously swarm it and die.

Not sure how to make it rain proof though.

Were the ants brought up from Brazil, or did they just migrate from South America through Mexico?

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011

Keep that s*** away from Australia. We're happy with the loads of lethal spiders and snakes thank you very much, without anything that eats our computers. *shudder*

Akytalusia

Nov 11, 2010
hmm.. this sounds like it could escalate. it may be time to think about crossing the pond.

Johnson McGee

Nov 16, 2009
Grey Carter said:
When they reach the delicious electricity underneath the wire's rubber coating, the ants are electrocuted, but in their death throes they release a signal calling other ants to attack the wire. This results in uninsulated wires surrounded by balls of crazy ant carcases
Sounds like this problem already has a solution.

Insert wire A into ant colony B.

I'll expect my cheque in the mail Ikea.

P.S. Why does the spell checker not recognize 'cheque'.

Zeraki

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOR!?
Legacy
Feb 9, 2009
New Jersey
Country
United States
Well this takes the term "computer bug" to its logical extreme.

This actually is pretty terrifying. I could only imagine something like that getting into my PC or worse... my SNES.

Oh for the sake of all things good and decent, don't take the SNES!

Darken12

Apr 16, 2011
I see we have unleashed another plague unto the unsuspecting world. Probably one of us dumped a terrarium full of the things in Texas or Florida.

I apologise on behalf of my country. We never know what we're doing.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Ill take my black ants thank you very much. actually, we got red ants and whne they wage war the black ones psuh them back by a sheer number of it. no crazies here.
looks like somone been experimenting with comic book superpowers.
seriuosly, its just evolution creating a species more superior to live in certain enviroment. we were not at the top at some point either. looks like aggressive works for nature.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
What are their predators, and can they be brought here en masse without destroying the rest of the ecosystem?

LetalisK

May 5, 2010
Ah yes, "Crazy ants", the race of berserker ants that are allegedly at war with technology. We have dismissed this claim.

Whateveralot

Oct 25, 2010
It's...

It's the Zerg!

No, seriously, it's a little like the Zerg. They spread quickly, reproduce quickly, create hundreds of little colonies (I'd say hives) and they hate terran technology.